How to look foreigner so can avoid security guards
( based on my experience of being "tourist" in singapore for 4 years lol )
1. if they ask you from where, don't reply "indonesia" or malaysia.. indo sounds too near and too common, so they won't impress... you need to use more exotic country, just say "zimbabwe" or "clubsnalavia" or anything...
2. if you got a chance to change your face to become an angmoh, grab that chance!
3. don't speak english in local way / singlish, use some broken english mixed with any random word... example "me fsjkhfskjhfs looking for hsdkjfhen,mse money adhuadwh dollar hdsfhsfsdk change eadljwidalj thank you!"
4. costume, either you need to wear very casual ( hawaiian shirt as the trademark ) or wear very formal so they thought you are a bigshot from your country
5. be friendly with the guard, smile everytime they see you, then pretend that you are really impress with what you see, give some compliment to the place they guarded. example "whoa, you work in this museum ar? bloody solid la!" ( this example is wrong should talk in same manner as no 3 )
6. if you are too lazy to communicate, just act that you didn't understand what they said, just smile act blur bow bow a bit.. then walk off...
i'll share more later...
as for events, event pass is usually needed (some events only recognise their event pass issued at the media registration booth). the press accreditation card (PAC) that all media personnel in sgp have is not usable in such cases.
the PAC issued by MICA identifies the media personnel as journalists reporting in Singapore, and is not a "free pass" to events and location to shoot.
eat. drink. shoot
must remember one important thing: NEVER pay by Nets. Tourist never do that
Mock an american accent, pretend u're ABC, mock HK accent, etc... Most of us too tanned to pass off convincingly as Japanese. lol
If you are wearing shorts, DO NOT wear sandals or crocs! ALWAYS wear shoes (NOT sports shoes hor!) AND socks!
SMILE at everyone you meet, even strangers! (locals NEVER do that!)
why do we have to pretend to be a tourist to shoot in sgp?
no, i think we should not let this type of culture goes on.
as long as we are in a public place, we are allowed to shoot.
if we are stop, ask the guard to call the police and take pic
of the event when the police is there.
dont stop shooting.
Look below 20/student-ish is an alternative. Went around with my friend on sunday to construction sites and esplanade/merlion area to take shots of the IR for his Art paper. Was expecting to be stopped at least once, but I suppose his childish looks (he looked the same since sec 1) helped a lot
Dress like Borat
you'll be behind bars for indecent exposure first.
eat. drink. shoot