Thread: out of range?

Default out of range?

hi all,

went to BG today for my first shoot with 300D + 28-105mm lens.....seems that the 28-105mm didn't quite fit what i wanted to shoot....i am interested in close up of flowers and insects (drangonfly etc)....the 28-105mm did ok for those flowers nearby, but not for those located far, say in the middle of the pond....

any recommendation of lens for my purpose? i.e. close-up shot of flowers and insects?

thanks in advance.........

cheers.............

Quote Originally Posted by plinius
    hi all,

went to BG today for my first shoot with 300D + 28-105mm lens.....seems that the 28-105mm didn't quite fit what i wanted to shoot....i am interested in close up of flowers and insects (drangonfly etc)....the 28-105mm did ok for those flowers nearby, but not for those located far, say in the middle of the pond....

any recommendation of lens for my purpose? i.e. close-up shot of flowers and insects?

cheers.............
    Hi, can try canon 70-300mm USM, its pretty good lens for zooming

cheers

andi

how much would that cost for 70-300 ?

Quote Originally Posted by plinius
    hi all,

cheers.............
    Hmmmm.... close up ...... you will need a marco lens if you really want to do close up. However, Marco lenses are pretty expensive and unless you have a lot of close up or your area of interest is close up shot, you might not want to get Marco lenses.

Instead you might want to get a Marco convertor such as Canon 500D conversion lens to attached to your 28-105mm for marco conversion. That is about >200. If that is still too expensive for you, as you might only want to try a marco shot, you might want to get a Marco attachment instead. It is <100, however, the quality of the output might not be as good as dedicated Lenses or the Conversion lens.

If you are trying to take feature shot of flowers in the middle of the pond, you will need a telephoto lens or a zoom lens with the range and with "Marco" feature, it will allow you to zoom in to that flower to certain depth.

You have a 28-105, if you felt you need longer range and your budget is limited, you could get a Vivitar 100-400mm lens which only cost $450 or somewhere around there. Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 or Tamron 70-210 f/2.8 will cost nearly $1,400 of course the lower range 70-300 consumer lens is alot cheaper, but it will still be around the range of >500.

This are the price of new lenses, of course, however, if you want to get secondhand lenses, a good guide for a second hand lens in mint condition with some warrenty left (namely < 1 year or <2 years for tokina lens) will cost about 5/6 of the original price about 9.5/10 - 10/10. A lens at excellent condition, 8/10 - 9/10, about 1 year, but not mint, meaning minor scratches can bee seen upon close inspection, will be about 4/5 of the original price. A lens in pretty good condition with scratches on the costmatics, 6/10 - 7/10, with about 2 years of usage will be about 3/4 of the original price. A fairly used one with visible scratches, 4/10 - 5/10, is normally about 1/2 - 2/3 the original price, depending on how bad the optics and scratches are. A lens in lesser quality then a fairly used one, 2/10 - 3/10, one that comes with free fungus and mushrooms, not properly kept, scratches all over, could fetch about 20 - 30% of the original price, if the buyer does not mind the the condition. A reconditioned one, 2/10-3/10 recondtioned to 6/10-7/10, could normally fetch 40 - 50% of the orignal price, and depending on heng/suai, you might get 1 reconditioned, but still grow fungus easily or you might get 1 reconditioned so well it felt like a pretty good one.

That is personal view and gauge when I want to buy 2nd Hand lenses. Other people might differ. Hope that helps.

Oh, the lower number the f/stop the faster your lens will be ..... just in case you are wondering what the heck is the f/4.5 - 5.6 means .... it's aperture size .
    Last edited by blurblock; 28th November 2003 at 07:36 AM.

blurblock,

thanks for the enlightening write-up..really appreciate it!

Quote Originally Posted by blurblock
    Hmmmm.... close up ...... you will need a marco lens if you really want to do close up. However, Marco lenses are pretty expensive and unless you have a lot of close up or your area of interest is close up shot, you might not want to get Marco lenses.

Instead you might want to get a Marco convertor such as Canon 500D conversion lens to attached to your 28-105mm for marco conversion. That is about >200. If that is still too expensive for you, as you might only want to try a marco shot, you might want to get a Marco attachment instead. It is <100, however, the quality of the output might not be as good as dedicated Lenses or the Conversion lens.

If you are trying to take feature shot of flowers in the middle of the pond, you will need a telephoto lens or a zoom lens with the range and with "Marco" feature, it will allow you to zoom in to that flower to certain depth.

You have a 28-105, if you felt you need longer range and your budget is limited, you could get a Vivitar 100-400mm lens which only cost $450 or somewhere around there. Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 or Tamron 70-210 f/2.8 will cost nearly $1,400 of course the lower range 70-300 consumer lens is alot cheaper, but it will still be around the range of >500.

This are the price of new lenses, of course, however, if you want to get secondhand lenses, a good guide for a second hand lens in mint condition with some warrenty left (namely < 1 year or <2 years for tokina lens) will cost about 5/6 of the original price about 9.5/10 - 10/10. A lens at excellent condition, 8/10 - 9/10, about 1 year, but not mint, meaning minor scratches can bee seen upon close inspection, will be about 4/5 of the original price. A lens in pretty good condition with scratches on the costmatics, 6/10 - 7/10, with about 2 years of usage will be about 3/4 of the original price. A fairly used one with visible scratches, 4/10 - 5/10, is normally about 1/2 - 2/3 the original price, depending on how bad the optics and scratches are. A lens in lesser quality then a fairly used one, 2/10 - 3/10, one that comes with free fungus and mushrooms, not properly kept, scratches all over, could fetch about 20 - 30% of the original price, if the buyer does not mind the the condition. A reconditioned one, 2/10-3/10 recondtioned to 6/10-7/10, could normally fetch 40 - 50% of the orignal price, and depending on heng/suai, you might get 1 reconditioned, but still grow fungus easily or you might get 1 reconditioned so well it felt like a pretty good one.

That is personal view and gauge when I want to buy 2nd Hand lenses. Other people might differ. Hope that helps.

Oh, the lower number the f/stop the faster your lens will be ..... just in case you are wondering what the heck is the f/4.5 - 5.6 means .... it's aperture size .