Thread: what's the best combination for portrait shoot?

Default what's the best combination for portrait shoot?

with very limited budget, want to know which one is the best for portrait? too bad, don't know how to start a poll.

1, Sony a200 + Minolta 50 F1.7 + Sony 42am

2, Canon 400d + Canon 50 F1.8II + 430

3, Nikon d70 + Nikon 50 F1.8 + SB 400/600

Default Re: what's the best combination for portrait shoot?

They're all quite good, really. I don't think you're going to notice much of a difference in image output between all of them.
    Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    They're all quite good, really. I don't think you're going to notice much of a difference in image output between all of them.
    thx, Rashkae!

I have a friend telling me, Canon is more profession in portrait, poisoned by his 5D2 + 85 F1.2. I noticed that the canon color is less saturated and cleaner, which i guess is better for portratit

If you try a A900 with a 135mm STF, you will be wow too. Difficult to compare if the bodies and lenses are of a different class.

Try shooting with a beercan instead of a 50mm lens.
    Minolta. Konica Minolta. Sony

Quote Originally Posted by soken View Post
    thx, Rashkae!

I have a friend telling me, Canon is more profession in portrait, poisoned by his 5D2 + 85 F1.2. I noticed that the canon color is less saturated and cleaner, which i guess is better for portratit

What rubbish. Your friend needs to get out more I'd say.

Things like saturation are not something you should worry about. You should shoot in RAW anyway, in which case saturation, white balance, etc, are all under your control.
    Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by soken View Post
    thx, Rashkae!

Yes, and 5d2 owners can also be poisoned by A900 + CZ 135mm. Or by a Hasselblad... :P

In other words, for something as common as portrait photography, when you consider that you are talking about entry-level bodies, you'll be fine with all of them. My own tip would be the A200 due to the bigger LCD screen (for easier reviewing).

If you want to go talk about the semi-pro bodies, then you're talking about D3, 5dMk2, A900. That's a while new discussion entirely.
    Alpha

To me, all are about the same.

The 50mm F1.7 and F1.8 won't make much of a different as mentioned by the others.

hi...can I ask .. I just gt a 2nd hand beercan here... gg to shoot the Miss Singapore World Semi Finals 2009 this wk end. Can I just shoot at F4 with increased EV and ISO 400 without flash.... or flash is compulsory? I got no external flash yet so hoping not to use built in flash

Quote Originally Posted by kennmail View Post
    hi...can I ask .. I just gt a 2nd hand beercan here... gg to shoot the Miss Singapore World Semi Finals 2009 this wk end. Can I just shoot at F4 with increased EV and ISO 400 without flash.... or flash is compulsory? I got no external flash yet so hoping not to use built in flash
    Usually, for indoor shots, ISO 400 is a little low to get decent shutter speed without flash, unless the place is very brightly lit. I suspect you're likely to be using ISO800-3200

you will most likely use iso 1600 with flash

I would say any full frame DSLR with a 50mm or 85mm lens.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.