Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Regarding no photographs please rules

Default Re: Regarding no photographs please rules

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    I do not recommend give money to somebody for granting "permission", or "closing ones eye" in photo taking.

there are many sound advices already given over the years, some CSers already highlighted where you can find them.

anyway, if anyone think that shooting in a shopping mall, MRT, hotel lobby should be the photographers' rights, and nobody should stop photographers from taking photos, or pushing photographers around, there is a way.

Ones can dedicate him/herself for campaigning to be a MP, to voice out the photographers concern and pledge and so it will passing the "photographers' right of take photos in the mall, etc" as a law in the parliament.

this is noble and no one had done is before, does anyone want to do it?
    You do it!!! I'll vote for you!!!
    I get paid more shooting part time ...... damn, I should find more time to shoot part time

Be sensitive and understanding to locations that deem photography to be a risk. Just because you own a camera doesn't automatically give you the right to shoot whatever you want.

If the location does not allow photography, and you are deemed a security risk that requires police intervention, they can:
    1. detain you until the police arrives
    2. remove the camera from your possession until the police arrives

They should not:
    a. playback the photographs
    b. remove the memory card from the camera
    c. attempt to operate the camera

Most of the time, you'll probably be warned not to take photographs and shoo'ed off, unless you really are in a high-risk location. The reason behind them not advised to attempt to operate the camera or remove the memory card is in the off chance that:
    - the photographs are deleted accidentally
    - the camera may be a trigger and operating it is not advisable
    - removing the camera from your possession is to prevent you from deleting the photographs

The above will probably not happen to majority of you, but bear in mind that security threats in some areas are very real and taken very seriously.

Anyway, you won't die if you didn't take the shot, right?

Quote Originally Posted by vince123123 View Post
    I would like to add that most criminal laws are prohibitive in nature; which means that they will say "you can't do this and that, otherwise kena this and that" or "you must do this and that; otherwise you kena this and that".

What it also means is that if there is no law specifying that you CANNOT take photographs, then there is no need to ask the MP to create a law which says that you CAN take photographs.

For example, it is not illegal to walk along the footpath, or to eat char kway teow, and hence, there is no need to create a law whcih says you are allowed to walk along the foothpath, or eat char kway teow.
    So it also means that they have no legal right to stop us from photographing from a common/public area. And the key is whether there was such a law, which was my concern.

And I guess it makes more sense for me now; there will not be a law to say we can take photograph, because the absence of a law to say we cannot means the same thing.

Thank you for clarifying. I'll be happy to be corrected if I'm wrong in any part of this post.

Quote Originally Posted by Sivakis View Post
    Be sensitive and understanding to locations that deem photography to be a risk. Just because you own a camera doesn't automatically give you the right to shoot whatever you want.

If the location does not allow photography, and you are deemed a security risk that requires police intervention, they can:

They should not:

Most of the time, you'll probably be warned not to take photographs and shoo'ed off, unless you really are in a high-risk location. The reason behind them not advised to attempt to operate the camera or remove the memory card is in the off chance that:
    - removing the camera from your possession is to prevent you from deleting the photographs

The above will probably not happen to majority of you, but bear in mind that security threats in some areas are very real and taken very seriously.

I do agree whole heartedly that just by having a camera doesn't give us a right to shoot where and when we wish.

Heck, I think I would comply with instructions given by the security guards without any arguments.

The only thing difference is that I am aware that the law is on/not on my side.

Quote Originally Posted by ahbian View Post
    So it also means that they have no legal right to stop us from photographing from a common/public area. And the key is whether there was such a law, which was my concern.

And I guess it makes more sense for me now; there will not be a law to say we can take photograph, because the absence of a law to say we cannot means the same thing.

Thank you for clarifying. I'll be happy to be corrected if I'm wrong in any part of this post.
    I think you have to be careful on this. Shooting Plaza Sing from the road side is not the same as shooting an army camp from the road side. One may have the security guard approching you ( which you can brush their protest aside ) while the other will have you drinking kopi in a a room with the air con's temp. turned down ( in which THEY will brush your protest aside )

At the end of the day, what you shoot is just as important as where you shoot it from.
    Last edited by yqt; 2nd June 2009 at 02:39 PM.
    I get paid more shooting part time ...... damn, I should find more time to shoot part time

There is a law on this - 'trespassing' - and it does not even matter whether you are taking pix or not. This law is applied to all premises - 'all' because every place is either owned by the govt or it is private. A shopping mall by the way, is private. The owners can shut the place at any time and even the govt cannot interfere (all else being equal - meaning the govt can interfere if it is against public safety, terrorism etc).

Ask lawyer if you need details.

I do agree whole heartedly that just by having a camera doesn't give us a right to shoot where and when we wish.
    I think this is a very good reminder, I've met a CSer who after reading a few post on this issue and think that he have every right to shoot anything he like

Quote Originally Posted by yqt View Post
    I think this is a very good reminder, I've met a CSer who after reading a few post on this issue and think that he have every right to shoot anything he like
    The next issue he/she bring up would be that the copyright of the photos belong to him/her.
    ahahah...

I seriously wonder whatever happen to common sense.

Regards
    D3s / D3x / 18-55 f3.5 - 5.6 / 55-200 f3.5-5.6 / 50 f1.8

Quote Originally Posted by yqt View Post
    I think you have to be careful on this. Shooting Plaza Sing from the road side is not the same as shooting an army camp from the road side. One may have the security guard approching you ( which you can brush their protest aside ) while the other will have you drinking kopi in a a room with the air con's temp. turned down ( in which THEY will brush your protest aside )

At the end of the day, what you shoot is just as important as where you shoot it from.
    Thats true, defense installations and such are a no-no, even if one don't know the exact relavant law, but to try such a stunt would mean a lack of common sense.

Hi guys, thanks for the many replies, I have also done my searches and read the other threads - but nothing definitive comes up. I think the general concensus seems to be that I would be trespassing if I don't comply with the rules. I'm fine with that.

What about the other issue? What about pictures I have already shot - can I still use those pictures?

Quote Originally Posted by Sivakis View Post

They should not:

i don't think security guards have the right to remove your camera from your possession. by doing do, it can be considered an act of theft (vince can confirm/correct me if i'm wrong?). if a location does not allow photography, the security guards there have the right to request that you leave the premises.
    e.g. from what i learnt at MP command, if a civilian is outside an army camp, and he/she attempts to take a photo of the camp building, prowlers inside the camp have no authority to step out of the camp compound to detain them. what prowlers can do is to comms back and let the guard comm notify the police who will take action, and at the same time request that the civilian stop what he's doing and move away.
    eat. drink. shoot

Quote Originally Posted by reachme2003 View Post
    maybe get siew kum hong to champion this cause in parliament.
    is he also a photographer in Clubsnap??
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

I would like to add that most criminal laws are prohibitive in nature; which means that they will say "you can't do this and that, otherwise kena this and that" or "you must do this and that; otherwise you kena this and that".

What it also means is that if there is no law specifying that you CANNOT take photographs, then there is no need to ask the MP to create a law which says that you CAN take photographs.

For example, it is not illegal to walk along the footpath, or to eat char kway teow, and hence, there is no need to create a law whcih says you are allowed to walk along the foothpath, or eat char kway teow.
    how about a law that says security guards CANNOT stop photographers from taking photos................

anyone want to be a MP???

It the "No U-Turn sign" singaporean syndrome loh.
    Gallery | Facebook Page Spreading the Good photography.

is he also a photographer in Clubsnap??
    i dont know. maybe, yes.

vince123123
    Guests

I don't believe there is such a law. If someone knows otherwise, they can post their findings and we can discuss together.

vince123123
    Guests

Don't think such a law will ever be enacted lah
    how about a law that says security guards CANNOT stop photographers from taking photos................

vince123123
    Guests

Hmm analogous, but not exactly the same. Criminal laws in other countries are also prohibitive in nature.

Quote Originally Posted by CYRN View Post
    It the "No U-Turn sign" singaporean syndrome loh.

anyone want to be a MP???

see post #21

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast