Thread: Has Singapore Gone Paranoid?

Default Has Singapore Gone Paranoid?

I am just wondering, has this wonderful city gone paranoid when it comes to photography? I just hope that one day it will not fall into the same fate as London UK, where there is a law that makes it sticky to do you photography in public spaces.

I was once approached in several occasions (on separate times) by security officers in their particular venues. First it was the abandon Capitol cinema behind Capitol building. I was doing my job for a story by photographing several film directors behind a white wall of that building. Soon enough, I was approached and was told I am not allowed to take photographs of around that area. But I was just thinking,... it is a white wall of an abandoned building for goodness sake. Never the less we left the area without arguing with the security guard to find another white wall around that place to finish it off.

On a separate occasion, I was at the Esplanade taking my parents who dropped by to visit Singapore, and I did take pictures of them, like most tourist will do, with the esplanade backdrop. As we moved inside, I spotted interesting sights of the beautiful structures of this wonderful iconic building. I wanted to take photographs of them as a form of appreciation. Before long, I was approached by an officer and told that I am not allowed to take photographs of the building, but only the general scene of the place, like most tourists will do. So I again obliged and kept away my camera, because I did not want to ruin my parent's holiday getting into trouble.

Lastly, I was walking around chinatown area heading towards the high rise buildings of which I assume is in the CBD district. The area around China Square to be precise. I was walking on a back lane and spotted a nice open window, old well preserved window, and the contrast to it was a modern office setting in the inside. So when I whipped out the camera to take a shot of the "old meets new" (as I was still focusing) I was quickly told off by a guard, rudely, to stop shooting. And was told that you can not take photos in this area.

In these separate occasions, it got me thinking, if these different instances will put off any tourist who is "in much awe" of this wonderful city and would like to photograph every aspect of it for memories, and for the appreciation of it? Is all this paranoia caused by the many bad press that happens on this island? Is this a counter measure that has to be taken to avoid any mishaps that will be caused by terrorists? Seriously I just wonder about all this, and I hope this will not get worse when the IR comes up. If it does, it will be a total heart break for those tourists who will visit this country in the near future, with a camera in hand to record their holiday.
    Last edited by clipper79; 1st June 2009 at 12:09 PM.

Default Re: Has Singapore Gone Paranoid?

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showt...459305&page=18

See Post 342 and 350 as regards the Esplanade.

For the other locations, if you want to get more into it like yeobt did, then you would have to do some legwork.

Perhaps you might want to post up what happened to you in his thread (link above)?

Don't worry.. foreign-looking people are much less likely to be stopped by guards for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by redstone View Post
    Don't worry.. foreign-looking people are much less likely to be stopped by guards for some reason.

Singapore is paranoid.

And yes, if you are Caucasian, it is mush less likely that you will be stopped by one of those rent-a-cop.
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

Blog Entries

you also need a loud flowery shirt for license to shoot
    or ask the guard to help to to take

i just got shoo-ed in orchard central yesterday hehehe...
    but since it's a mall then maybe it's my fault lor...
    then the guard ask me..
    "eh, are you locals? you singaporean?"
    i said,
    "i'm a tourist, indonesian.."

then he just "ohh" then went off...
    Last edited by archlover; 1st June 2009 at 01:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ortega View Post
    you also need a loud flowery shirt for license to shoot
    or ask the guard to help to to take
    Will HAWTTT PEEENKKKK G-slings do?

Quote Originally Posted by archlover View Post
    i just got shoo-ed in orchard central yesterday hehehe...
    but since it's a mall then maybe it's my fault lor...
    then the guard ask me..
    "eh, are you locals? you singaporean?"
    i said,
    "i'm a tourist, indonesian.."

then he just "ohh" then went off...
    For the rest of us, I think we can pretend to be Malaysian tourists or tourists from HK/China

The irony is I'm a Malaysian who have been working here for so many years. I have been localized. Not like there is much difference between the 2 nationalities. It is sad to see how Singapore has developed into. Maybe talking with a foreign accent might help. LOL! But why must they stop the locals from taking photos? Don't they get it? There are loads of really good photgraphers here in Singapore. And with superb photos posted up online on Singapore. Will this not attract/tempt more foreign tourists to visit Singapore? Attn STB, is this not a good idea? Australia is doing this, why are we so paranoid about?

just another who hit the brick wall.

cs should really come up with a petition to the government.

I believe they should come out a set of criterias and requirements for us and the personals guarding the premises. This will prevent further conflicts. Put out the fire when it is small.
    I AM BORNFIRE!
    My Flickr/TFCD Service

Maybe these security personnel got instructions like:

Locals:
    They stay here, no need to photograph, can come see everyday (if need to)
    If they shoot pics, their photos can be used by others for info gathering.

Tourists:
    They don't stay here, can photograph for memory sake
    Good tourist dollars
    They think of their photographs are just too touristy to be of any use.

But,
    [ Flickr ]

This might not be a good idea (asking the government to help) as it might just add more red tapes to what we already have. Artists/photographers might not be able to have the freedom anymore.
    Last edited by clipper79; 1st June 2009 at 04:39 PM.

vince123123
    Guests

If you need to shoot at Capitol again (and assuming you are outside the premises), do drop me a pm. My office is just 5 minutes away and I'd love to help you bully the bullies

Quote Originally Posted by vince123123 View Post
    If you need to shoot at Capitol again (and assuming you are outside the premises), do drop me a pm. My office is just 5 minutes away and I'd love to help you bully the bullies
    Sure thing