Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Yogyakarta, Indonesia

Default Re: Yogyakarta, Indonesia

I went for a hidden temples tour in Jogja. I think it was quite interesting as you get to see the smaller temples that is hidden from sight of the main roads. Google for Viavia

Quote Originally Posted by Pinoy View Post
    Now that our trip's only a month away, something came up: Mt Bromo.

We've seen lots and lots of very nice Mt Bromo shots and would wanna be a witness to this nature's wonder too. Understand from others that Borobudur and Prambanan can be covered in a day so just wondering if we'd be able to squeeze Mt Bromo into our itinerary. Is this feasible? How long is the trip gonna be from Yogyakarta to Mt Bromo (understand it's on the other end of Java)? Any idea how much the cost is/will be?

Thanks in advance.

:Later,
    Hi, Pinoy. A group of us went to Borobudur-Prambanan-Bromo for our photography trip in early October.
    As pointed out by one of the members, check into Manohara in the afternoon. Walk that 5-10 mins to Borobudur for sunset and surveyed it for the next morning's sunrise session at 4am.
    Bromo is in East Java, wherease Brorobudur is in Central Java. The roads are mostly single-laned driveways with lots of big trucks and requires lots of over-taking. Slow down the buses and prolonged our time on the road.
    We left Manohara at about 9am and travelled through Prambana (at around late morning). Prambanan temples can be covered in about 1 hour. Unless you want to watch the Ramayana evening performance then you have to make alternative arrangements. We continued our bus journey through the rest of the afternoon, the evening, the night, and reached our Guesthouse at Bromo region at 2am in the morning. Dropped our gears, grab half an hour of sleep, and set out for Panajakan View Point at 3:30am sharp to get good place for photographing Mt Bromo at sunrise.
    Mt Bromo was spectacular.
    I don't think any one of us regretted the long trip.
    We even got to walk/ride the plain and climb up to the crater of Bromo.
    If you can do it, squeeze it in. If not, extend one more day. It would be a shame to miss Bromo. You just needed that extra one day.

Wow. I just sent Captain Juker a PM and then saw your post.

Unfortunately, Our flight schedule has long been set and thus can't be changed. We'll be arriving in Yogyakarta on a friday @ 1220hrs and departing on monday, also from Yogyakarta at 0730hrs.

Bromo really is an after thought. It wasn't in the picture when we booked our flights. All it took were several wonderful images -- from Captain Juker, EstherFu and others -- to change our minds. Thus we are thinking of following sgtrekkers' itinerary (thanks to Captain Juker for the link), except that we won't be staying in Surabaya. Will be heading back to Yogyakarta instead. Double long trips. I wonder if the group -- mix of guys and gals -- can make it.

Day 1: Arrive in Yogyakarta. Check in. Lunch. Go to Borobudur for sunset. Return to hotel.
    Day 2: Leave early to catch sunrise at Borobudur. After breakfast, head down to Prambanan. After lunch starts the long travel to Cemoro Lawang.
    Day 3: Leave at 3am for Mt Panajakan – Viewpoint 2. Proceed to Mt Bromo after breakfast. After lunch, head back to Yogyakarta.
    Day 4: Rise up early. Check out. Go to airport for return flight to Singapore.

Possible, I suppose. But not sure if our young bodies can take all that

Hmm.. I have some questions btw:

- How far is the town (we'll be staying at Phoenix Hotel) from the airport?
    - What time did you leave yogyakarta for Cemoro Lawang? How long was the bus trip?
    - Any tipping "required" for certain services (i.e. horse guide etc)?

Thanks in advance. If you have any other inputs, that will really be appreciated.

Last edited by Pinoy; 15th October 2009 at 01:11 AM.

Wow. I just sent Captain Juker a PM and then saw your post.

Unfortunately, Our flight schedule has long been set and thus can't be changed. We'll be arriving in Yogyakarta on a friday @ 1220hrs and departing on monday, also from Yogyakarta at 0730hrs.

Bromo really is an after thought. It wasn't in the picture when we booked our flights. All it took were several wonderful images -- from Captain Juker, EstherFu and others -- to change our minds. Thus we are thinking of following sgtrekkers' itinerary (thanks to Captain Juker for the link), except that we won't be staying in Surabaya. Will be heading back to Yogyakarta instead. Double long trips. I wonder if the group -- mix of guys and gals -- can make it.

Day 1: Arrive in Yogyakarta. Check in. Lunch. Go to Borobudur for sunset. Return to hotel.
    Day 2: Leave early to catch sunrise at Borobudur. After breakfast, head down to Prambanan. After lunch starts the long travel to Cemoro Lawang.
    Day 3: Leave at 3am for Mt Panajakan Viewpoint 2. Proceed to Mt Bromo after breakfast. After lunch, head back to Yogyakarta.
    Day 4: Rise up early. Check out. Go to airport for return flight to Singapore.

Possible, I suppose. But not sure if our young bodies can take all that

Hmm.. I have some questions btw:

- How far is the town (we'll be staying at Phoenix Hotel) from the airport?
    - What time did you leave yogyakarta for Cemoro Lawang? How long was the bus trip?
    - Any tipping "required" for certain services (i.e. horse guide etc)?

Thanks in advance. If you have any other inputs, that will really be appreciated.

Wow, Pinoy, from Yogjakarta to Bromo then back to Yogjakarta... it's a double long trip man.

I am not sure of the distance between Hotel Phoenix to the airport. Sorry couldn't help you in this.
    We left, as stated in my post, at around 9am-9:30am from Manohara at Borobudur for Bromo. Cemero Lawang is not far from the Guesthouse Yoshi that we were staying in. The whole journey with lunch stop, dinner stop, pee break, a short stop for photo taking at a padi field - well... around 16-17 hours by the time we arrived at our Guesthouse in the Bromo district.
    Horses - around rp125 for the ride up to the crater of Bromo and down to the jeep RV area. Tips perhaps another rp20-30 if the horse man doesn't make the ride too rough for you.. haha.!

Blog Entries

"Day 3: Leave at 3am for Mt Panajakan – Viewpoint 2. Proceed to Mt Bromo after breakfast. After lunch, head back to Yogyakarta.
    Day 4: Rise up early. Check out. Go to airport for return flight to Singapore."

man....... that is TOUGH....... i suggest just skip Bromo (that is ONE epic trip in itself that can be done on another occassion as a seperate 4-day trip...... UNLESS you plan on only shooting ONE or TWO spots ........ there are at least 6 different perspectives of Bromo each requiring a few hours min to soak in and shoot and it is alot of trekking ).

If you rush it like above, you will see the Bromo that every ordinary tourist will see..... spend at least a 3D 2N on the mountains to really do Bromo justice.

This trip, u should spend more time in Yogjakarta at the king's palace/court or somewhere in the vincinity

Day 3 night is an ALL NIGHT drive and hopefully you can catch your 7.30am flight on time

Quote Originally Posted by ed9119 View Post
    [B]

If you rush it like above, you will see the Bromo that every ordinary tourist will see..... spend at least a 3D 2N on the mountains to really do Bromo justice.
    hi ed,

interesting advice about Bromo. most of the Bromo packages are either 12-hour trip or the 2 day/ 1 night trip.

could you share what sort of itinerary would be involved in a 3-day/ 2 night jaunt?

Thanks a lot for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by ed9119 View Post
    "Day 3: Leave at 3am for Mt Panajakan – Viewpoint 2. Proceed to Mt Bromo after breakfast. After lunch, head back to Yogyakarta.
    Day 4: Rise up early. Check out. Go to airport for return flight to Singapore."

man....... that is TOUGH....... i suggest just skip Bromo (that is ONE epic trip in itself that can be done on another occassion as a seperate 4-day trip...... UNLESS you plan on only shooting ONE or TWO spots ........ there are at least 6 different perspectives of Bromo each requiring a few hours min to soak in and shoot and it is alot of trekking ).

This trip, u should spend more time in Yogjakarta at the king's palace/court or somewhere in the vincinity

Day 3 night is an ALL NIGHT drive and hopefully you can catch your 7.30am flight on time
    I understand where you're coming from. Admittedly, we have limited time but looking at things, it may be a "now or never" scenario. Doubt we'd be doing another photography trip just for Bromo.

Anyway, all we want is to be able to witness the wonderful sunrise from Mt Bromo and take pictures. Everything else is secondary. That is why after lunch, we're ready to set off to head back to Yogyakarta. No doubt it will be tiring. We just hope that the weather will cooperate and the experience will pay off in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by limwhow View Post
    Wow, Pinoy, from Yogjakarta to Bromo then back to Yogjakarta... it's a double long trip man.

I am not sure of the distance between Hotel Phoenix to the airport. Sorry couldn't help you in this.
    We left, as stated in my post, at around 9am-9:30am from Manohara at Borobudur for Bromo. Cemero Lawang is not far from the Guesthouse Yoshi that we were staying in. The whole journey with lunch stop, dinner stop, pee break, a short stop for photo taking at a padi field - well... around 16-17 hours by the time we arrived at our Guesthouse in the Bromo district.
    Horses - around rp125 for the ride up to the crater of Bromo and down to the jeep RV area. Tips perhaps another rp20-30 if the horse man doesn't make the ride too rough for you.. haha.!
    Wow. 16-17 hrs? We'll be dead (tired) by then. Hopefully we can make it in 10 hours. We'll see...

Thanks for the info btw.

Wow. 16-17 hrs? We'll be dead (tired) by then. Hopefully we can make it in 10 hours. We'll see...

Thanks for the info btw.

Pinoy, our trek leader from sgtrekker did it in 8 hours previously on an SUV (or something like that with fewer person) as it could run faster and could overtake slow vehicles on the road during the whole trip.
    We had many persons during our trip and we were on minivan and a bus. These two vehicles don't over-take well. And as such, we ended up with more than 10 hours on the road.
    So if you should want to do it, and if the number of travellers you have is small, consider getting a fast and small vehicle and zoom all the way.

Quote Originally Posted by limwhow View Post
    Pinoy, our trek leader from sgtrekker did it in 8 hours previously on an SUV (or something like that with fewer person) as it could run faster and could overtake slow vehicles on the road during the whole trip.
    We had many persons during our trip and we were on minivan and a bus. These two vehicles don't over-take well. And as such, we ended up with more than 10 hours on the road.
    So if you should want to do it, and if the number of travellers you have is small, consider getting a fast and small vehicle and zoom all the way.
    but do be careful and alert on country roads in Indonesia. drivers who are in a rush (they are always in a rush) tend to drive on the wrong side of the road for long stretches, and would only swerve back to their lane at the last minute as an oncoming vehicle approaches.

it could be exhilarating at times but stressful if you keep looking ahead and looking at your driver to see (and hope) that he reacts quickly enough to bring you out of harm's way.

Quote Originally Posted by pat33 View Post
    I did one borobudur trip recently the details are here

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showt...ighlight=pat33

Hope it helps.
    Nice view of Borobudur with Mount Merapi, it Indonesian most active volcano, too bad the day that I went was too cloudy, didn't get much view of it...

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Juker View Post
    Nice view of Borobudur with Mount Merapi, it Indonesian most active volcano, too bad the day that I went was too cloudy, didn't get much view of it...
    I second that, Captain Juker.
    To be able to capture Merapi would be wonderful. Do us that honour, Pinoy!
    And go explore the whole Borobudur as much as you can. I found myself missing quite a chunk of it because I was too focused on a certain part.
    Walk around. especially the 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th level which has all the carvings. All tell a story. Captivating these are.
    Good trip!

Thanks guys. Have sent an email to Manohara Resort Hotel. Hope to get to stay 1 night there so we have easy access to Borobudur. After that will transfer to Phoenix Hotel for the rest of our stay.

As per my other post, won't be doing Mt Bromo anymore due to time constraint, and the long travel time it requires. Hope to cover it next year though.

Appreciate all the inputs I've received thus far.

Quote Originally Posted by Guni_hoon View Post
    try to watch the Ramayana Ballet Performance at Prambanan open air theatre. i paid Performance:Rp200k (VIP seat), and Buffet dinner:Rp60k, an open space dining besides the theatre. the show is abt 2 hrs.
    We're watching this. However, for the date we'll be in, the performance won't be at the Prambanan Open Theater.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12