I've bought 2 2nd hand lenses already and these are the things I looked out for.
1) Check for fungus/big dust bunnies on the inner sides of the lens. Hold lens up to bright light at an angle. Also, zoom in and out to ensure nothing hiding between the inner tubes. Bring your blower with you to get rid of dust on outside so that you don't mistake it for dust on the inside. If inside the lens got a bit of dust, shouldn't matter I think.
2) Check for scratches on rear and front element.
3) Make sure metal contacts are not too worn down (not too many scratches).
4) Make sure zoom/focus rings not too tight/loose and can turn smoothly without getting stuck.
5) Mount lens on camera. Ensure not too tight or loose.
6) Do auto-focus test using focus test chart/text on lens box/batteries. Minimum focusing distance for 55-250 is quite far (about 1m plus I think) so don't be surprised if cannot AF on near objects.
7) Make sure IS is working. For 55-250, can feel and hear IS when it is on. Will have a slight jerk when in use. It is normal.
8) While 55-250 has no lens creep, I don't know about Sigma 70-300. Please check that too.
9) Take some high-contrast shots into bright light and check for CA. At the tele-end of the 55-250, there will be some slight CA, but nothing too serious.
10) Take picture(s) at multiple focal lengths using apertures from max to around f/11 or so. Just to make sure that can change aperture properly.
11) Make sure the seller provides correct receipt and warranty card.
Can't think of anything else I did. Anyone got anything else to add?
Last edited by ramian; 5th June 2009 at 11:24 AM.
thanks ramian. i will scribble that somewhere. haha ! so excited.
Anyways, your CPL do you use for the lens? I heard its hard since the focusing isat the front end.
Secondly, do you think if i attach my raynox lens infront of it, would it have any impact on the macro?
$300 bucks for the lens, is that brand new?
which shop, where? i wanna buy a longer zoom.... mine kit lens, quite sian...
but i guess the 55-250 is the best value for $ bah. unless of course budget is not of concern, can go for 70-200 (f/4 or f/2.8), 100-400, and of course the third party brands too~ too many la~
Licence to shoot.
btw , do you guys even care about the picture style functions?
Guys...pls do rem abt molo trip hor..
anyone wanna go just add on to the list.
Theme: Recce trip for TFCD (actual TFCD on 21Jun, ppl interested…PM me ur name)
Date: 6 June 2009
Meeting Place/Time: Clement MRT @ 2pm Sharp..
Location: 1) Old railway track 2) Haw Paw villa