Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Myanmar trip

Default Re: Myanmar trip

Quote Originally Posted by Tint09 View Post
    Hi all,

I and some of my friends are going to Myanmar for photography in Sep or Nov.

currently we are planning to go Pagan , Inlay and mandalay..

All of you are welcome.

the more the merrier.

dont worry for all the arrangement.

i was formerly from Myanmar. But currently i am holding singapore passport.

i am also like you all to get visa and other arrangement.

i will let you all know the detail arrangement when the number of people is set...

Please let me know if any of your are intesested.

Regards
    Tint

Hi Tint09

am keen on joining u guys for the trip. do PM me when finalised.

Quote Originally Posted by Tint09 View Post
    Hi all,

I and some of my friends are going to Myanmar for photography in Sep or Nov.

currently we are planning to go Pagan , Inlay and mandalay..

All of you are welcome.

the more the merrier.

dont worry for all the arrangement.

i was formerly from Myanmar. But currently i am holding singapore passport.

i am also like you all to get visa and other arrangement.

i will let you all know the detail arrangement when the number of people is set...

Please let me know if any of your are intesested.

Regards
    Tint

Hi Tint,

I might be interested as well if the timing is somewhere in nov. Are you able to provide more info when you have confirmed your timing.

Thanks.

I agree with the comments as I was trying to arrange for a trip there recently. I had to abandon it. Just have to wait and see.

Quote Originally Posted by newmonk View Post
    Hi,

This is what my friend who is currently working with a travel agency in Singapore.

"I saw it and I can recommend some agents for the trip. But especailly in this time, it's not advisable to go there for photographying although you all are genuie people, as our government doesn't welcome foreigners. I called Myanmar Embassy in Singapore for my clients and their response was pretty weird as all visa applications are considerable case by case and need to write self-explaination or recommendation for ourselves mentioned that where we are going to stay and how long and what exactly we are going to do there (This letter is different from the agent so we still need to provide the confirmed tour program from myanmar agents directly send to Myanmar Embassy in Singapore), Secondly, not only this time, all the time being our government doesn't welcome the foreigners who have professional cameras and accused them to be as 'journalists' although they knew those people are coming for leisure purpose. So need to be consider all those facts before making any reservations. Anyway, I'll provide agents contact in next mail."

No matter whatever time you go to Myanmar, always check the political condition of the country. The gov only care about not losing their political power and they can ignore all the other things. You may not enjoy the trip in that case. You have to watch out the gov officials but you will never have problems with the people there.

With best regards,

Albert
    Last edited by roger8; 12th June 2009 at 04:44 PM.

Hi all,

thank for the responds..

the more the merrier at the same time we can save $$ in transport and accommodation. i will send the details after i check with hotels and transports so that i can roughly tell u guys the estimated cost.
    For the timing, if a personal is really keen to join we can arrange to accommodate everyone. i think a few days different may not make different to everyone.
    Let me list out the number of ppl who are interested..

(1) Tint
    (2) Tint's friend 1
    (3) Tint's friend 2
    (4) Litechaser
    (5) Jongky ( depending on the timing)..

Regards
    Tint

Steve McCurry is arranging MYANMAR EXPEDITION in February 1st to the 12th, 2010. Here is the itinerary of the tour cum workshop. Maybe you guys can refer his itinerary as a reference for your trip.

Hi,
    Can someone advise on the following ?

- VISA Application procedure for Myanmar
    - Tour operator recommendation

Thanks in advance

Myanmar is a must go for photography! It's a gem really and the people are some of the friendliest on the planet. A great place to start is reading the Lonely Planet guide book which really helps to plan fr the trip. Just be vary about the military,Junta or so called spies ( although I don;t think I encounter any coz I"m just a tourist).

U can bring any photo equiment and laptop in but of coz if u lug a 300mm f2.8 ,then I don;t know la

For visa applications,DO NOT STATE anything to do with the media ,not even a wedding photographer ( if u r one) ! If they see even "photographer" as profession,they will reject your visa even if u are not a journalist or sort.

Best way to get around is to hire a car with driver but for some places,flying is best if distances is too great. For the "Golden Circuit"-Yangon,Bagan,Mandalay,Inle Lake , a min of 10 days is required but best if u have 2 weeks . From Mandalay,one can do a side trip and take the interesting train ride to Hsipaw ( pronounced Tee-Boar ) ,chill,trek and check out the very very early morning market-good place to test the low light capabilities of yr DSLR .

Quote Originally Posted by goon View Post
    Myanmar is a must go for photography! It's a gem really and the people are some of the friendliest on the planet. A great place to start is reading the Lonely Planet guide book which really helps to plan fr the trip. Just be vary about the military,Junta or so called spies ( although I don;t think I encounter any coz I"m just a tourist).

U can bring any photo equiment and laptop in but of coz if u lug a 300mm f2.8 ,then I don;t know la

For visa applications,DO NOT STATE anything to do with the media ,not even a wedding photographer ( if u r one) ! If they see even "photographer" as profession,they will reject your visa even if u are not a journalist or sort.

Best way to get around is to hire a car with driver but for some places,flying is best if distances is too great. For the "Golden Circuit"-Yangon,Bagan,Mandalay,Inle Lake , a min of 10 days is required but best if u have 2 weeks . From Mandalay,one can do a side trip and take the interesting train ride to Hsipaw ( pronounced Tee-Boar ) ,chill,trek and check out the very very early morning market-good place to test the low light capabilities of yr DSLR .

thnks for the useful tips. appreciate it!

very interested till i read the price...

$8600USD

Quote Originally Posted by supercool View Post
    Steve McCurry is arranging MYANMAR EXPEDITION in February 1st to the 12th, 2010. Here is the itinerary of the tour cum workshop. Maybe you guys can refer his itinerary as a reference for your trip.

For those planning to go to Mynamar, pls go get your visas early(give yourself 1 month). Don't do it within the last week of your trip and think you have plenty of time cos the Embassy may just reject your application by saying that they are given instuctions not to issue any visa this week and there is nothing you can do about it even if you have bought your airticket and paid for your tour.

Quote Originally Posted by swiftdragon View Post
    For those planning to go to Mynamar, pls go get your visas early(give yourself 1 month). Don't do it within the last week of your trip and think you have plenty of time cos the Embassy may just reject your application by saying that they are given instuctions not to issue any visa this week and there is nothing you can do about it even if you have bought your airticket and paid for your tour.
    Thanks for the advise,

For the VISA application ,
    anyone knows if it would be easier to declare as
    1. independent traveler /
    2. (Myanmar) package tour ?
    option 2 have to provide additional itinerary (according to their embassy web site)
    Thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by sweeper View Post
    Thanks for the advise,

For the VISA application ,
    anyone knows if it would be easier to declare as
    1. independent traveler /
    2. (Myanmar) package tour ?
    option 2 have to provide additional itinerary (according to their embassy web site)
    Thanks in advance

no difference
    ok to declare is independent traveller

Quote Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
    no difference
    ok to declare is independent traveller
    thanks grumpy, no time no see
    your live to eat thread is still very sinful ...

i might be in yangon, Myanmar around mid of November. who will be going?

Quote Originally Posted by sweeper View Post
    thanks grumpy, no time no see
    your live to eat thread is still very sinful ...

hi Sweeper, my pleasure. It's really a long time.
    Hope you come back from Myanmar with lots of nice photos.

I'm planning to go in less than 2 weeks time. Is is easy to get the Visa? I was advised by the embassy wait for my Visa to be approved first before getting the air tix. But if the Visa is a "sure can get" thingy, I'd like to book the air tix first as I might end up paying more if I wait.
    When I do right, no one remembers. When I do wrong, no one ever forgets.

Quote Originally Posted by GDSNP View Post
    I'm planning to go in less than 2 weeks time. Is is easy to get the Visa? I was advised by the embassy wait for my Visa to be approved first before getting the air tix. But if the Visa is a "sure can get" thingy, I'd like to book the air tix first as I might end up paying more if I wait.
    Are you stationed in Spore?
    2 weeks is a very short time
    the visa application will take 4 working days IF approved
    if not, you need to make a second trip down to apply again ...
    It's not a "sure can get" thing ...
    Good luck ...

hi GDSNP

i suggest you should apply visa now. VIsa is pretty much straight forward except that you have to fill many pages for same information. If you are worried, you can book the air ticket through travel agents, and let me tell you... november and december season is no joke. many people travels that time and air tickets are only left with more expensive class or cheaper class are left with no confirmed seats.
    So you are confirmed going, you should start now.
    I am going on 13th, but my return ticket seat is still on waiting list.

Thanks guys. I guess I'll have to keep my fingers crossed then as I can only go down on Thursday morning to sort it out. I understand it will take at least 3 working days to get it done. Can I safely say that I can get it by next Wed?

If not, I guess I'll just go somewhere that doesn't require a visa.
    When I do right, no one remembers. When I do wrong, no one ever forgets.

Quote Originally Posted by GDSNP View Post
    As mentioned in my advice earlier..there is no such thing as "sure can get" Visa. Mine was rejected when I applied. Reason given "We are not issuing any visa..come back next week and we will consider".

Better to get your ticket after visa is approved.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast