Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Newcomer queries

Default Re: Newcomer queries

Hi PrimePhotog,

You're right to say there's no camera can shoot in NO light condition.

But videocam is different. SONY videocams come with the Night Shot Plus and Super Night Shot modes which allows one to shoot in the night under NO light condition. No other makers here have this feature. They uses a special IR pass filter for 0 lux night shooting and NO visible light source is needed. Hence, for night shooting this is very useful as it'll not scare away the creatures in the dark. One downside is its greenish in color. NV binos use IR illuminator to achieve this effect.
    Last edited by Travelmate; 2nd June 2009 at 09:14 PM.

Hi nixontkl

I held the D700 and the 5Dmk2 at the showrooms of Nikon and Canon and I find them too heavy and big for my grip and, therefore, out of the question. I believe you must be rather big size and/or one with big palms since you own the D700

Here're the weight (with battery) and dimensions of D90, D300 & D700

D90 - 703g, 132x103x77 mm
    D300 - 903g, 147x114x74 mm
    D700 - 1075, 147x123x77 mm

I was looking at the D5000 and the D900 yesterday. Hmmmm.......I think I'll have to go down to Nikon showroom again and have a look and feel of the D300

OK, just returned from Nikon showroom and found that the weight of the D300 is still manageable
    Last edited by Travelmate; 2nd June 2009 at 05:25 PM.

Wait till you add a BIG lens in front...

then it'll be a different ball-game.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

Quote Originally Posted by Travelmate View Post
    Hi nixontkl

I held the D700 and the 5Dmk2 at the showrooms of Nikon and Canon and I find them too heavy and big for my grip and, therefore, out of the question. I believe you must be rather big size and/or one with big palms since you own the D700

Here're the weight (with battery) and dimensions of D90, D300 & D700

D90 - 703g, 132x103x77 mm
    D300 - 903g, 147x114x74 mm
    D700 - 1075, 147x123x77 mm

I was looking at the D5000 and the D900 yesterday. Hmmmm.......I think I'll have to go down to Nikon showroom again and have a look and feel of the D300

OK, just returned from Nikon showroom and found that the weight of the D300 is still manageable
    Errr I am not that big a guy, standing only 167, i dont think i am very big nor my hands. yes the D700 is heavy but i am used to it, heavy it maybe but its well balance when use with bigger lens.
    D80/D700 18-135/17-50/14-24/24-70/70-200/70-300/50/60 SB600/900

While at the Nikon showroom this afternoon I asked and was advised that with the D300, AF-S VR Zoom 70-200 f/2.8G and a 2x TC combo would be nice for shooting birds at say 50m away. Is this right? How much further away can I shoot bird and can still get good quality shot?

The total holding weight would be 903g + 1.395g + 355g = 2.653 Kg
    Last edited by Travelmate; 2nd June 2009 at 09:47 PM.

While at the Nikon showroom this afternoon I asked and was advised that with the D300, AF-S VR Zoom 70-200 f/2.8G and a 2x TC combo would be nice for shooting birds at say 50m away. Is this right? How much further away can I shoot bird and can still get good quality shot?

The total holding weight would be 903g + 1.395g + 355g = 2.653 Kg
    Did you include the battery and possibly the flash?

400mm would be pretty decent, but for 50m, it may not give you good results to fill the whole frame. 20-30m would be more closer to the mark.

Check with those who have tried this combo before. Also note that with such a combo, your effective max aperture would be f5.6 and you'd need to increase the ISO accordingly to get a decent shooting speed to prevent any blur from hand shake.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

Hi zac08

The stated handling weight includes the battery. Of course any possibility to move nearer to the subject would be better. 50m is just in case if situation doesn't permit taking a good shot like if the bird is high up on the tree or if the place you're shooting is separated by a body of water.

400mm? I thought it should be 1.5x200x2 = 600mm instead?

Yes, the effective max aperture would be f5.6 and I'll need to increase the ISO accordingly to get a decent shooting speed to prevent any blur from hand shake. Will printing photos to album sizes (e.g. 4R or 8x10) with ISO increase affect picture quality even after cropping for this combo?

I've ask for the the VR zoom hoping it can reduce minor handshake. I believe I'll have to take some pretty quick shots to avoid hand movement (up/down & left/right) for long holding time due to the weight of this combo. From previous trips with various groups I noticed that, generally, you don't have the luxury of time to take a slow good shot as the group needs to proceed unless you're going solo or with a few bird shooters where you can afford to mount tripod and patiently taking good shots.

Is it true that Canon has a wider selection of lenses than Nikon? If yes, maybe I should take a look at the Canon's D300 equivalent i.e. the 50D. In your opinion who produce better quality lens, Canon or Nikon? Any advise?

Thanks
    Last edited by Travelmate; 3rd June 2009 at 01:48 PM.

Is it true that Canon has a wider selection of lenses than Nikon? If yes, maybe I should take a look at the Canon's D300 equivalent i.e. the 50D. In your opinion who produce better quality lens, Canon or Nikon? Any advise?

Thanks
    True, Canon got a larger selection of Lense. Nikon and Canon make good lense. (pls dont ask questions which is going to start brand war, which is better, such Q will get bias/personal preferrence answers.)

Hi!

Is it true that you can use some Nikon lens on Canon but not the other way round? If yes, where to find what lens has been successfully use on Canon cameras.

Thanks

Hi!

Is it true that you can use some Nikon lens on Canon but not the other way round? If yes, where to find what lens has been successfully use on Canon cameras.

Thanks
    You would need to use an adapter. Thus it would be a full manual lens.
    Alpha

Hi!

Thanks
    Yes, there are converter ring in the market for nikon lens to canon body, so far I have not seen canon lens to nikon body. you need to buy a adapter ring, but not sure if the lens will be able to AF or not.

Hi!

Thanks for the replies.

So is it also true that 3rd-party lenses suitable for use on Nikon/Canon cameras are also in full manual mode only i.e. no AF, VR/IS etc

Thanks again

Hi zac08

The stated handling weight includes the battery. Of course any possibility to move nearer to the subject would be better. 50m is just in case if situation doesn't permit taking a good shot like if the bird is high up on the tree or if the place you're shooting is separated by a body of water.

400mm? I thought it should be 1.5x200x2 = 600mm instead?

Yes, the effective max aperture would be f5.6 and I'll need to increase the ISO accordingly to get a decent shooting speed to prevent any blur from hand shake. Will printing photos to album sizes (e.g. 4R or 8x10) with ISO increase affect picture quality even after cropping for this combo?

I've ask for the the VR zoom hoping it can reduce minor handshake. I believe I'll have to take some pretty quick shots to avoid hand movement (up/down & left/right) for long holding time due to the weight of this combo. From previous trips with various groups I noticed that, generally, you don't have the luxury of time to take a slow good shot as the group needs to proceed unless you're going solo or with a few bird shooters where you can afford to mount tripod and patiently taking good shots.

Thanks
    Yes, with the crop factor it's closer to 600mm. It may be sufficient for some of the larger species, but may not be enough for some of the smaller birds.

I will not dare to go into the debate between the camps, but I am a Nikon user. Your call...

Do consider using a flash for the extended ranges as it will give a nice fill-flash for some of the shots which may be backlit or in cover.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

Hi!

Thanks for the replies.

So is it also true that 3rd-party lenses suitable for use on Nikon/Canon cameras are also in full manual mode only i.e. no AF, VR/IS etc

Thanks again
    There are lenses which offers AF-S (such as Sigma's HSM). Have to check more on the VR/IS though
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12