Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help on camera for a newbie!

Default Re: Help on camera for a newbie!

First need to decide how much you want to invest in the camera system and what you want to do?

I would recommend a compact camera like the LZ8 (poor man version of the LX3?) which has manual controls for beginners. Gives good picture and pretty smart auto mode though a bit slow after each photo.
    You wont see me much less remember me but i am the guy who makes you look good.

Quote Originally Posted by thotshouse View Post
    The problem with starting with pns is that everything has been preset for you and you may end up learning nothing abt aperture, shuttle, iso, etc even after years of "practising" on a pns.

If TS is really keen to pick up photography, then maybe he shd start with an entry level DSLR and start playing with it.
    I totally disagree. Some P&S allow you to have A mode or S mode, so they can learn that, albeit very tight limitation.
    They definitely can learn composition, did some macro shots, landscape (day & night - with tripod) etc.
    Of course expecting indoor or night sport photography, or evening/night candid, and super tele is stretching it too far, but they can learn something. How long that learning time depends on how fast they can learn and feel the limit of P&S. While learning, there may be newer DSLR model launched already - think about that!

The problem with starting with pns is that everything has been preset for you and you may end up learning nothing abt aperture, shuttle, iso, etc even after years of "practising" on a pns.

If TS is really keen to pick up photography, then maybe he shd start with an entry level DSLR and start playing with it.
    Totally disagree. For starters, he'd learn that "shuttle" is a reusable spacecraft run by NASA, and "shutter" is the term used in photography.

Next, if your entire focus is only on the cold numbers (aperture, shutter speed, ISO, etc) then basically you'll be nothing more than a gear-head seeking the camera bodies that give you the highest numbers. But your pictures will still be lousy because you focus too much on the gear, and too little on the picture.

True story: I know a very very good photographer who takes far better pictures with his cellphone camera than many so-called photographers with their high-end DSLRs. The trick? composition and learning to "see" the picture and knowing how to tell a story with a picture rather than just going snap-happy and bragging about ISO 6400 or f/1.2 lenses.
    Alpha

Most new PnS camera comes with Auto, Program, Manual, ISO, metering, focus and EV adjustment.
    Last edited by Diavonex; 1st June 2009 at 11:59 AM.

hmm, so its really depending on me to choose PnS or DSLR.
    but the problem is i really don't know what kind of camera really suitable to a totally newbie like me.

for me DSLR maybe too complicated
    PnS maybe too over user friendly.

i dont even know what type if camera should i buy man!
    damn!

Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    Totally disagree. For starters, he'd learn that "shuttle" is a reusable spacecraft run by NASA, and "shutter" is the term used in photography.

Next, if your entire focus is only on the cold numbers (aperture, shutter speed, ISO, etc) then basically you'll be nothing more than a gear-head seeking the camera bodies that give you the highest numbers. But your pictures will still be lousy because you focus too much on the gear, and too little on the picture.

True story: I know a very very good photographer who takes far better pictures with his cellphone camera than many so-called photographers with their high-end DSLRs. The trick? composition and learning to "see" the picture and knowing how to tell a story with a picture rather than just going snap-happy and bragging about ISO 6400 or f/1.2 lenses.
    u forgot to add tat every picture must be sharp sharp sharp..

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12