Thread: Tea Ceremony Wedding Tips ???

Default Tea Ceremony Wedding Tips ???

Any comments/ideas?

1) What film u like to use?
    2) What kind of lens?
    3) Things you would usually include (Couple kneel down to parents for tea offer?, Boy open car door?, exciting discussion before Groom enters house...etc)

ANy other things you would do for the above mentioned title?

Thanks..

Quote Originally Posted by MatthewSCL
    Any comments/ideas?

1) What film u like to use?
    2) What kind of lens?
    3) Things you would usually include (Couple kneel down to parents for tea offer?, Boy open car door?, exciting discussion before Groom enters house...etc)

ANy other things you would do for the above mentioned title?

Thanks..
    i used a e-10 DZLR so can't comment on 1 and 2 but for 3 1 tip is to be always faster than the groom always be in front.
    You must be sure of every step of the whole day's procession... or else you will be caught in a lost.
    Predict the next move the groom will makeif you can and get ready...

For example the boy open car door you must jump out of the car.... before the groom gets out... or ask them to do it again if it's nessesary..... keep shooting all the way... make sure you record everything.. cause it happens only once.
    1stJournal - Painting your life journals since 2008
    Email / Facebook / Instagram

Make sure you work with the family to plan the locations of the various parties before the tea ceremony. Usually there is a lady presenting the tea to the couple for them to serve to the elderly. You should be standing opposite that lady so that she does not block your view. My personal opinion is that photographing the tea ceremony itself should be highlighting the elderly being served instead of highlighting the couple. So I always try to make sure the persons being served are well captured, ie, faces can be seen clearly and happy expressions are captured. Even if the couple is not facing the camera it is OK, as they will be the highlight for the rest of the day.

I once photographed a wedding of a friend, and his brother was the video man. For every round, the brother requested the couple and the person being served the tea to turn and face the camera for a few seconds for him to capture the scenes, like some minister presenting a cheque to some charity organisation. I though it was totally artificial and comical.

To answer your questions,

1. There will be a mix of indoor and outdoor shots, with a bigger portion of indoor shots, so I would recommend ISO200 film. Try to use a bounce card to soften the flash.

2. Use a zoom in the range of 24~70mm. When using wide angle to take group photo avoid placing someone's face in the corner of the frame as it will be badly distorted.

3. There are many things to capture and they happen in random. Just be alert and find out from the couple/family members their customs and watch out for interesting events. For example, sometimes the groom will bring a roast pig to the bride's home and the brides family will cut out the middle section of the pig, fill-in the middle section with a pair pf pants, wrap it up with red paper and return the pig to the groom's family. You can get interesting shots for this event.

In many of the weddings I have photographed, I noticed that about half the time the foundation of the bride's makeup somehow glows under the illumination of the flash. My guess is the foundation has some flourescent material in it, maybe to make the skin look brighter under normal light. The UV content of camera flash exagerates the brightness and makes the bride look very pale. I don't have a solution for this problem. I always wanted to check with the makeup artists if they know anything about this but did not have a chance. You might want to check with the makeup artist.

Sometimes the couple may be too occupied on the actual day and may forget to ask for family shots. It is then the photographer's job to remind the couple.

Good luck!
    As complexity rises, precise statements lose meaning and meaningful statements lose precision.

Default Thanks man

Thanks for all the guides....sure help alot...i am using superia ISO800 for my cousin's wedding..should be ok rite...(my friend recommends that...got even lighting mah.. )

yah and one thing in my mind...

usually wedding photographer has 2 cameras rite...do you all use the backup one (for example...you have a 28-105 mounted on your main one..while the back up is mounted witha telephoto>??? -> the problem i see is that, your negatives will be out of sequence....is it ok?) or use the backup camera unless necessary-> the main one fails???Touch wood lah..)/..

Thanks once again..

well,
    dun shoot the 2 rolls of same film at the time lah
    mixed up sequence of the negs is a no no to give to customers.

usually, one backup camera is always useful for interchanging of lens.
    the backup cam can be either empty or loaded with a b&w film for creativity.

Default hmm

Quote Originally Posted by xmen1977
    well,
    dun shoot the 2 rolls of same film at the time lah
    mixed up sequence of the negs is a no no to give to customers.

usually, one backup camera is always useful for interchanging of lens.
    the backup cam can be either empty or loaded with a b&w film for creativity.
    So its recommended to use the back up camera with different lens or? U mean use different lens with different film type (BW??)

1. I swear by Press 800 and NPH 400 for all the indoor shots of weddings. They give good colours and skin tone, and has enough speed to do bounced flash without looking too "flashed".

2. A 28-70, 24-70 range should suffice for most of the time. You will probably need wide more than tele here.

3. I usually shoot the sabo session, the obligatory kiss, the tea ceremony, etc. It can be hard to shoot the little boy opening the car door if you want to be up there shooting the sabo session as well.

Regards
    CK

Tea Ceremony Tip: Stock up on caffine; it is a deadly boring ceremony to those not involved.

Lightbulb

Some suggestions on shots not to be missed:
    1. Guys getting all ready in suit, armed with flowers, as they leave to fetch the bride. (That, or the bride getting up at 3am to get ready for the makeover )
    2. Guys speeding to the bride's house.
    3. opening the bridal car door
    4. Guys "negotiating" with the bride's sisters for entrance. stunts & all.
    5. Groom sees bride, unveil, and kisses bride.

Candid shots seems to be the keyword here. I'd try to work with the parents/couple to get a good angle during tea ceremony - capture all the smiles and laughter of both the couple & the relatives. Also, usually brides want pictures taken with friends/relatives in their newlywed's bedroom - make sure to find the best spot that gives best possible lighting, and one with the couple's wedding potrait in the background isn't a bad idea.

Good luck!

Default interesting

Hahah..thanks again....sounds very interesting...make my adrenaline runs faster as the date comes nearer...ghehehhe.,...cheers./

for the tea session, make sure the chairs are placed in a position which gives you a good angle to shoot. you have a right to dictate where teh chairs should be.