Thread: How does the difference between a 20MB/s and 30MB/s SD card affect me?

Default How does the difference between a 20MB/s and 30MB/s SD card affect me?

Hi guys,

Pardon me for the Noob question. But between a 20MB/s and 30MB/s card, is it worth it to get the latter?

I tried both versions on a Canon 450D, and the number of RAW images in continuous burst mode is the same, ie 6. I was expecting to take more shots with the 30MB/s. Or is limited my the camera? If so, in which area then does the supposedly faster 30MB/s card outshine the 20MB/s one?

Is it in terms of less wait if I wish to take another round of continuos shots, and also faster transfer of images to the computer?

Thank you v much!

Default Re: How does the difference between a 20MB/s and 30MB/s SD card affect me?

It depends on how fast your devices can read and write from/to the card.

Let's say the 450D writes at a speed of 18MB/s (I don't know the actual speed - this is just for illustration). Then it does not matter which card you use. It will still take the same amount of time for both cards. On the other hand, if the 450D writes at more than 20MB/s, then it will take a shorter time with the 30MB/s card.

Similarly, when you transfer the images using a card reader, it will depend on how fast your card reader can read.

Default Re: How does the difference between a 20MB/s and 30MB/s SD card affect me?

For burst shots, it is dependent on the cam's buffer. Check your manual what are the settings that will affect the buffer and from there decide which is not applicable to you and disable it. That will increase the size of the buffer. (speaking from the experience of N cam, not too sure able C cam).
    Tangfolio, 9mm; CZ75 Shadow, 9mm; S&W 686, .38

Quote Originally Posted by Priscilia View Post
    I tried both versions on a Canon 450D, and the number of RAW images in continuous burst mode is the same, ie 6. I was expecting to take more shots with the 30MB/s. Or is limited my the camera? If so, in which area then does the supposedly faster 30MB/s card outshine the 20MB/s one?

Is it in terms of less wait if I wish to take another round of continuos shots, and also faster transfer of images to the computer?

Thank you v much!
    the 30mb should be faster when transferring to computer, that is the main reason

otherwise, most of the time, camera buffer is the limiting factor, not card. of course, if the card is too slow for the fps and file size, then the card will be the limiting factor, but such instances are few and far between. most people who can afford the large-enough-megapixel cameras probably would not hesitate at getting faster cards anyways.

The read and write speed are different in media, reading being faster (exclude opening file). On 5D MK-II writing on the 20MB/sec card, the LED is up for a noticeable 1.5sec longer than the 30MB/sec card. But on Sigma SD14, no difference.