Thread: Post-Processing/Photo-Shopping - Do you?

Deregistered

Default Post-Processing/Photo-Shopping - Do you?

Do you do PP/PS to your pictures? If yes, what software do you use and to what degree do you perform the PP/PS to your pictures?

Personally, I use Adobe CS3 Photoshop to pp my pictures just to add in my copyrights. As a newbie, I think I should let my pictures do the talking rather than let my photoshopping skills do it.

For some pictures, I did some photoshopping to bring out more life.

So do you?

Default Re: Post-Processing/Photo-Shopping - Do you?

It is my little dilemma as well because I'm a photo retoucher by profession but a total noob at photography having just bought my Ist cam and trying my hands at shooting.

So to keep myself 'honest', I only allow myself to do general adjustments without masking.eg.saturation,contrast.. Meaning I do not selectively with masking retouch certain areas,be they color,saturation or even to edit out elements, even if doing that will actually make the image better. My photos not commercial so just have to answer to myself.

In this way, I learn to concentrate on learning to use my camera and take photos, looking for light, contrast, colors,etc; without leaning towards DI which I can more easily do.

BUT, once I feel like I can adequately handle my camera, then all rules r out, and then my goal is to present my best photos, in which case, anything goes.

And EVERYTHING will be retouched.
    Last edited by redmonsoon; 2nd June 2009 at 10:47 AM.

I feel if you have the skills.. flaunt it. learn both at the same time and you will flourish.

=)

Quote Originally Posted by Draken413o View Post
    I feel if you have the skills.. flaunt it. learn both at the same time and you will flourish.

=)
    not true for me lah. I know the power of RAW + Photoshop, and what they can do.
    If I take photos thinking that I can 'fix' it later, then I'll have no motivation & too lazy to learn more abt exposure, fstops, apertures. What for, when I can adjust so many things later.

Already now, Ist question my friends ask is 'DI one ar?'

But its damn tempting.lol
    eg, In this shot I Sooo.. want to remove that block in the far background,or at least darken it much..perhaps I would..fighting the temptation..hee
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/redmonsoon/3567119690/

Atm, I restrict myself to Lightroom adjustments, but damn, its really quite a powerful software. But at least cannot use masking and stuff.
    Last edited by redmonsoon; 2nd June 2009 at 12:02 PM.

As I shoot raw all the time, I have no choice but to PP and PS all the photos. I use Lightroom almost 90% of the time and Photoshop only really special photos or for special effects.

I use CS3

For model shoots/portraits I add in spotlights to play with the light and shadows a bit more, add in a bit more reds on the skin and play with blend modes. Remove skin artifacts/blemishes and maybe even use the liquefy tool for some reshaping.

For flowers and other stuff, I usually just do a curves adjustments for more highlights & shadows and maybe a levels adjustment to correct WB. Or if I want to do b&w, use the channel mixer... all relatively simple and final image is quite unadulterated unless I really want more bang and pop in the shot.

Go see my flickr, I've started listing down what I've done in post-proc for my more recent images

BTW, the latest shot on your photoblog, the one with the Orange lamps, top notch
    Last edited by MarkNKL; 2nd June 2009 at 04:12 PM.

oredi called digital slr, so with less or much pp is doesn't matter as long as it suits the pics and in some cases saved an over or underexposed for example , for me it's digital world

cheers

i am a photoshop idiot...

so i only use for resizing and adding copyright haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Agenda View Post
    Do you do PP/PS to your pictures? If yes, what software do you use and to what degree do you perform the PP/PS to your pictures?
    PP is part of photography. In the days of film one brought the roll to the lab and got the prints back later. In the meantime images were processed which also included adjustments. Just compare some negatives with the prints and you'll notice. Some people still prefer to do it on their own at home.
    With digital media the processing was shifted into the camera. The presets for White Balance, Sharpening, Saturation and JPG compression will define how the sensor data are 'cooked' to get the final image in JPG format. For many people (mostly PnS users) that's ok and they are happy. With DSLR and PP tools one has the choice to take over the PP part - either partially or completely.

As a newbie, I think I should let my pictures do the talking rather than let my photoshopping skills do it. For some pictures, I did some photoshopping to bring out more life.
    I agree partially. If there is no basic composition then no PP can help. But PP can help to emphasize the story / message or can be used to reduce unwanted details. Some pictures even require heavy PP to achieve the desired effect (HDR). - And that's the key: what is the intention? What's the message or story? PP is nothing but a tool to achieve the result. It's not a religion about 'honesty' or 'best when straight from the cam'.

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by MarkNKL View Post
    BTW, the latest shot on your photoblog, the one with the Orange lamps, top notch
    Thanks! For that, I'm very proud of it because it's non pp-ed.. kinda bragging lol..

Anyway, for RAW format, can I open directly with Photoshop CS3? Can't check with my camera now because it's sent for cleaning.

Deregistered

do you all do image straightening?

it depends on the image, on the lighting, on many many things

some images, just curves + usm

some images, layering + erasing, can take up to 2 hours

The biggest question that we must ask ourselves is whether do we print?

If you do print, then PS your shots. If you don't print and just put online, then lightroom or whatever software is good enough for you.

For me, I do print.

Quote Originally Posted by localhost View Post
    i am a photoshop idiot...

so i only use for resizing and adding copyright haha.
    I'm almost same... further is to crop and adjust level....

Quote Originally Posted by agape01 View Post
    The biggest question that we must ask ourselves is whether do we print?

If you do print, then PS your shots. If you don't print and just put online, then lightroom or whatever software is good enough for you.

For me, I do print.
    Dont quite understand your ideology, why print deserves more attention leh? Because spend $$? Surely putting online means a lot more audiences..

Quote Originally Posted by redmonsoon View Post
    Dont quite understand your ideology, why print deserves more attention leh? Because spend $$? Surely putting online means a lot more audiences..
    Yes spending more $$$ and at the same time, the print will show how capable you are as a photographer. If you do not PS properly and you're going to make a A2 print, surely all the defects of whatever it is that you're shooting will show up on the print.

Even for whatever kind of photography, you will still need to do some sort of retouching and corrections before even putting it up online.

Yes, putting images online does give you a whole lot more of a audience. But at the same time your audience will also see what kind of photographers we are.

I use Photoshop CS3. How much editing I do, and what kind, depends on the image and on its purpose. You might learn more by posting an image and asking your question specifically about that one.

Personally, I use Adobe CS3 Photoshop to pp my pictures just to add in my copyrights. As a newbie, I think I should let my pictures do the talking rather than let my photoshopping skills do it.
    What an image "says" often depends on one's Photoshopping skills (and one's aesthetic judgment in using those skills).

do you all do image straightening?

In situations where it's obviously not intended to be crooked, i'll try to straighten the image. People notice these things right away.