Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Volunteering to help ex-convicts integrate back to society

  1. #1

    Default Volunteering to help ex-convicts integrate back to society

    Hi every1....i am thinking of whether or not to be a volunteer to help ex-convicts integrate back to society, the webby can be found here http://www.prisons.gov.sg/be_a_volunteer.html

    need some views bout this
    ~Right & Wrong Are Just Illusions~
    http://miss-phoenix-ng.blogspot.com

  2. #2

    Default Re: Volunteering to help ex-convicts integrate back to society

    It's a nobel cause, but you have to ask yourself why you want to do it. No need to tell us, most important is you can tell yourself with the sharpest, most ruthless sense of self-honesty.

    Find out more about what the scheme involves, and the different ways you can participate. Be realistic and prepared to be committed, else you might be causing more harm than good. Also, be prepared for dissappointment. Don't set out expecting it, but be aware of the possibilities and probabilities.

    Don't go in with rose-tinted glasses and glorious thoughts of saving mankind. It's never a bed of roses, and dealing with people who have had their lives taken away from them and they themselves probably have shattered other peoples' lives - is not an easy task.

    It depends on what level of work you're looking to get into, but regardless, what matters the most is your personal commitment. There's no such thing as 99% or try my best in such affairs, but on the other hand, you have to be realistic in how much you can manage effectively. You can't help someone else in the longer term if you yourself are on shakey ground. It's a very tiring balance.

    Also be prepared - not everyone ... even those with the truest of intentions and good hearts are suitable for volunteerism of this nature.

    If you're becoming a volunteer to find a way to inject more meaning into your life, or elevate the meaning of your own life, or to fill a void - don't. Those are the wrongest reasons to want to be a volunteer.

    If this sounds a bit discouraging - it's not meant to be. It's as plain and honest as I can put it.

    Find out all you can, meet the rehab OICs or whoever is in charge of volunteer recruitment and go back and think long and hard.

    I wish you the very best in your journey.
    Last edited by Dream Merchant; 29th May 2009 at 06:35 PM.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Volunteering to help ex-convicts integrate back to society

    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix Ng View Post
    Hi every1....i am thinking of whether or not to be a volunteer to help ex-convicts integrate back to society, the webby can be found here http://www.prisons.gov.sg/be_a_volunteer.html

    need some views bout this
    Normally volunterring come from your heart ...
    AMPA * WPPI * J team

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    bukit batok
    Posts
    1,479

    Default Re: Volunteering to help ex-convicts integrate back to society

    if you feel unsure in your heart then chances are, you're better off staying away...

  5. #5

    Default Re: Volunteering to help ex-convicts integrate back to society

    This is great!. I support the yellow ribbon.

    I'm an ex-con but I've been good for 16 years. Do you think they will let me volunteer?

  6. #6

    Default Re: Volunteering to help ex-convicts integrate back to society

    Phoenix Ng, if you think what you do makes a different, then go for it . especially when doing the right things.
    Last edited by ninelives; 30th May 2009 at 10:31 AM.
    Objection !!!

  7. #7

    Default Re: Volunteering to help ex-convicts integrate back to society

    Quote Originally Posted by jeagga View Post
    This is great!. I support the yellow ribbon.

    I'm an ex-con but I've been good for 16 years. Do you think they will let me volunteer?
    I am sure they will gladly welcome you. Who is better than someone who had gone through the path to help out ? You will be a role model for them

    All the best !!
    Tangfolio, 9mm; CZ75 Shadow, 9mm; S&W 686, .38

  8. #8

    Smile Re: Volunteering to help ex-convicts integrate back to society

    try it even if you are not sure now. it may give a perspective of life which you may never gain in life again. to me, nothing to lose. it may even help you make better decision later on in life. especially, for 'sheltered' and 'myopic' kind of life which most of our youths are leading.

  9. #9
    Senior Member dennisc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Freezing Upp Thomson/Mandai!
    Posts
    2,010

    Default Re: Volunteering to help ex-convicts integrate back to society

    What can you offer to change and inspire their lives? Entertainment, life's experiences, wisdom, theologically, etc? They may not always see eye to eye in some issues especially those they've been through and you've not.

    Just be aware of the implications that may.. er I've a friend volunteered... got herself some fans and a stalker. Haha... sticky situation. Of course as with all volunteer work, there's the good and the bad, at times you may feel you've done your part for the society while sometimes you may think it's a thankless job. That's what I hear from seasoned volunteers.

    But all in all, don't let my words frighten you, if you feel like it, it'll be a great experience I'm sure.
    Last edited by dennisc; 30th May 2009 at 03:50 PM.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Volunteering to help ex-convicts integrate back to society

    thx for all your honest opinions.. yea i agreed that most of our youths nowadays lead a sheltered life. most of us jus completed our education or are on our way to complete our education, and tot that everything will be plan for us, everything will go on smoothly, life is a bed of roses.....but reality is reality, all of us will realised this at sum point in our lives...this is life....there will be ups and downs....great times and bad times....as long as we do what we think and feel it's right, able to look back at these memories when we are old....c the hope we bring to others(whether they appreciate or not)we are leading a life.

    i heard from my friend who was in there for 2 yrs.....he say that when people provide food like even chicken rice, or a tube of mentos(on sumone birthday) for the convicts in there....some of them are so stouched that they even cry. imagine years without eating mentos....years without having the simplest pleasures in life. years without having a love life and adult needs. i can only imagine it's very easy to get depress, or have suicidal thoughts. but many of these brave souls learnt from their lessons(although there will be a handful who do not) and have the courage to pull through..

    and worst of all the 2nd prison when they come out, hard to find jobs, find that everything outside have changed alot not onli environment, but family as well.

    im not here to instill my beliefs on any1, jus to share sum of my thoughts and opinions, though im a free thinker

    yes, no doubt there will be disapointments, but i believe we can't satisfy every1 in life....in every role or job, there is bound to be ppl who like u and ppl who dun....even famous ppl get alot of tt too, probably a hundred times more thn most of us, even sumtimes u dun do anything wrong, u get bullied, backstabbed or intimidated.....even sumtimes what u have done are not appreciated by people, and they turned back to their old ways.....but i think as long as we r alive, as long we can support ourselves and have a little more to share wif others, yea why not? :P

    about the stalker thing, it's part and parcel....in any path we follow, any frens we make....we have to accept their flaws too. thats the meaning behind the whole thing. in every job, there are flaws, but there is also a deeper meaning wich u can find at sum point in time.

    we can either jus sit there and do nth and hope this world will somehow turn into a utopia....or at least make some changes, make frens, bring hope.

    u all are right that we also cannot have too high expectations of others....eg. as people who bring hope, if u have too much expectations of others, and if ppl fall short of those expectations....u will be disapointed, frustrated etc. let things go naturally, maybe some of those u helped will not reached ur expectations, but turned out to be better persons than u expect them to be in future....let them grow and blossom into not onli what u expect them to be, but maybe sumone even better thn tt.

    although i cant do much, but based on my experienced in doing streetmagic for beggars, prostitutes, security guards....jus any1....when they smile and make frens with me, sit down for a chat or coffee....it reali brightens not onli their day, but mine too as well. it's all about love, frenship, human to human relations and not discriminating anyone regardless of their background.


    be true to yourself. :P and wish every1 a great day
    ~Right & Wrong Are Just Illusions~
    http://miss-phoenix-ng.blogspot.com

  11. #11
    Member terryansimon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Quahog, Rhode Island
    Posts
    95

    Default Re: Volunteering to help ex-convicts integrate back to society

    I personally feel that, from a psychologist point of view, you have to ask yourself if you are doing this for self gratification or if you are doing it for the greater good (ie, touching lives and making a difference).

    there's no problem if you're doing it for self gratification purposes. after all, at least somebody stands to benefit from it. but it is important to note that if you do it for such purposes, it is often easy to become side tracked from the job, and as such might do more harm than good to yourself and to the other party you are currently helping.

    it is a noble intention, wanting to help other people. there's no shame in saying "I want to study medicine so that I can earn lots of money." there however, needs to be serious evaluation if, in the pursuit of money, you do not make decisions that are out of the best interest of the other person. similarly to your situation, if you allow delusions of grandeur and feel-goodness to cloud your judgement, you might end up making a call that could come back to haunt you for a while.

    coming from somebody who works within the "helping human beings out" industry, that's what I've learnt so far.
    chicken fight!

  12. #12

    Default Re: Volunteering to help ex-convicts integrate back to society

    Quote Originally Posted by terryansimon View Post
    I personally feel that, from a psychologist point of view, you have to ask yourself if you are doing this for self gratification or if you are doing it for the greater good (ie, touching lives and making a difference).

    there's no problem if you're doing it for self gratification purposes. after all, at least somebody stands to benefit from it. but it is important to note that if you do it for such purposes, it is often easy to become side tracked from the job, and as such might do more harm than good to yourself and to the other party you are currently helping.

    it is a noble intention, wanting to help other people. there's no shame in saying "I want to study medicine so that I can earn lots of money." there however, needs to be serious evaluation if, in the pursuit of money, you do not make decisions that are out of the best interest of the other person. similarly to your situation, if you allow delusions of grandeur and feel-goodness to cloud your judgement, you might end up making a call that could come back to haunt you for a while.

    coming from somebody who works within the "helping human beings out" industry, that's what I've learnt so far.
    you got a point there. but still... i feel that my way of helping is not by providing help like what most ppl think. it's more of making frens and bringing some happiness in life :P

    tok **** sing song... make frens..... :P i got alot of frens also ex-convicts and my bf is an ex-con too
    ~Right & Wrong Are Just Illusions~
    http://miss-phoenix-ng.blogspot.com

  13. #13
    Member terryansimon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Quahog, Rhode Island
    Posts
    95

    Default Re: Volunteering to help ex-convicts integrate back to society

    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix Ng View Post
    you got a point there. but still... i feel that my way of helping is not by providing help like what most ppl think. it's more of making frens and bringing some happiness in life :P

    tok **** sing song... make frens..... :P i got alot of frens also ex-convicts and my bf is an ex-con too
    ah I see. but nonetheless, one needs to be able to empathise regardless of whether one just wants to be a casual acquaintance, or somebody more involved. remember, at the end of the day, you are doing it for the facilitation of human emotions. pitfalls may and could occur, so you will have to be professional about it.

    nonetheless, it's a noble thing and for that you have my respect, and my best wishes.
    chicken fight!

  14. #14

    Default Re: Volunteering to help ex-convicts integrate back to society

    Quote Originally Posted by terryansimon View Post
    ah I see. but nonetheless, one needs to be able to empathise regardless of whether one just wants to be a casual acquaintance, or somebody more involved. remember, at the end of the day, you are doing it for the facilitation of human emotions. pitfalls may and could occur, so you will have to be professional about it.

    nonetheless, it's a noble thing and for that you have my respect, and my best wishes.
    :P yup yup i treat them like my normal frens. make more frens regardless of who u are and what they are. they way i treat them is jus the same like how i treat any of my other frens. there is no differenciation. in fact they are my frens XD
    ~Right & Wrong Are Just Illusions~
    http://miss-phoenix-ng.blogspot.com

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •