Thread: Close-up filters

Default Close-up filters

I'm looking to invest in some close-up filters for my 75-300 and 28-135, Anyone can recommend a brand? I heard that hoya makes them. Will they be cheaper than the canon ones?? I'm using a Canon btw.
    The filter sizes are 58mm and 72mm.

And whats the meaning of a +4 filter? Is that the same as the 250D that canon makes?

I am also looking for one, but will compare price with a 25mm extension tube (S$85 at John 3:16).
    Since you have 2 different diameter lens, why not consider a extension tube. I think it will fit most lens. Also produce better image than close up filter because there are no lens in it.
    Why then, I am looking for a close up filter? Because I intent to use it for only 1 lens (70-200).
    photography makes one sees things from all angles.

Extension tubes will give a reduced magnification compared to close-up filters for the 75-300 if i'm not wronf. At least a 25mm tube.
    Whats the price for close-up filters?

Default Also looking

I have another thread for close up photography, also waiting for fellow CS tell me price and place to get close up filters, but guess should be at least 1/2 price if not 1/4 of the extension tube.
    photography makes one sees things from all angles.

Quote Originally Posted by joshkoh
    Extension tubes will give a reduced magnification compared to close-up filters for the 75-300 if i'm not wronf. At least a 25mm tube.
    Whats the price for close-up filters?
    ext tube will reduce the min. focus distance of your lens , thus increase the magnification

price ? for 58mm closeup +4 , should be > $25
    See my Photo Gallery at the Clubsnap

52mm close-up costs $11-14. 58mm ones shouldn't cost that much more.

the prices are for single-element close-up lenses. for good quality ones like Nikon 4T (~$50) or Canon 500D, 250D (>$100 deoending on size), the prices are higher.

Quote Originally Posted by megaweb
    for 58mm closeup +4 , should be > $25
    oops should be < $25

I have a 58 mm +4 hoya close-up....totally brand new.
    $18...message me if interested.

Does anyone know if the magnification of the 250D and +4 is the same? If not what would give euqal magnification?

Oh and also, can the 250D be used on the 75-300? i heard that it can't? Or the image quality is seriously degraded! Anyone try yet?

Does anyone know if the magnification of the 250D and +4 is the same? If not what would give euqal magnification?
    magnification should be the same. 250D is made of double element to provide better quality and lesser distortion esp the corners.

Oh and also, can the 250D be used on the 75-300? i heard that it can't? Or the image quality is seriously degraded! Anyone try yet?
    Yes. 250D can use on 75-300. Remember that using a closeup filter , your focusing distance is always fixed ( abt 18cm to 22cm ). Magnification should be 1.54~1.18 according to this table. So far I have not yet try this combo yet

Does anyone know the price of a 500D 58mm?