Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why manual mode?

Default Re: Why manual mode?

I generally use P Mode and control the Speed, Aperture and EV.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Ng View Post
    I am not sure about the above statement but my Mentor, Tutor, over 40 years of photography suggest that we shoot at 'A' mode and play with EV Compensation for different situations (affects vignetting too...). Miss less pictures...

Seriously, at 'M' Mode... I think we would be able to create a distinct mood to our pictures. Do you know that Shutter controls more than just speed, Aperture does more than 'blur' the background and ISO at different number brings out other Aspects.

And also one more thing... Camera Metering is easily fooled. We need to manually override the metering to get the desired feel/ exposure.

DO some reading, trial Shoots. Mount you camera on a Tripod and shoot at a balance exposure. You would get very similar histogram, but.. observe your carefully about other things of your pictures. (Colour, Contrast, e.t.c. e.t.c) Understand Colour and how different time of the lighting of the day affect you picture at different ISO.. you will know what I mean.

When you know how to shoot in M (chances are that beginners are going to miss a lot of moment pictures).. you answer your A and S question.

Cheers!
    Agreed bro. I use M because after using A with EV override, I find that I'm still shooting at the same speed, meaning to say that if I encounter a tricky situation and I take the time to override it, I might as well have just adjusted one of my parameters in M.

I went over to M from A because I didn't like how the camera was sometimes fooled into certain exposure settings due to tricky lighting situations. M gives full control.

People can use whatever mode they want as long as they get the shot they were aiming for. For some things, manual mode can be easier while others, Av or Tv modes...

i found that my D90 exposure is more accurate with manual mode. With A mode, certain bright area tend to be over expose, eventhough i reduce the EV. But i still use A mode most of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by spidercrown View Post
    i found that my D90 exposure is more accurate with manual mode. With A mode, certain bright area tend to be over expose, eventhough i reduce the EV. But i still use A mode most of the time.
    Is it? I find mine okay. Let's me go and test again in Melaka

A for available light, landscape, anything with DOF in mind
    S for panning, landscape anything with motion in mind
    M for flash, landscape painting with light...
    P, never use this one before but i guess thats mostly for studio works....

saw this somewhere.........

A for Amateur
    S for Student
    P for Professional
    M for Master

Wish I had read this thread earlier b4 i went to HK & Macau cos I was on M mode most of time and fiddling around trying to get it right. Good thing I shot in RAW so need a lot of tweaking on PC almost 1000 photos!

Quote Originally Posted by double_a View Post
    To all, thanks for the replies and advise. I might be wrong but most of the pros I met shooting in manual mode.

By the way, I am also on 'A' mode most of the time and play around with diff metering mode for diff lighting as well as the EV. On top of that, I am also a RAW shooter

I personally feel that the above setup suit my style of shooting but just want to know if there are anything that I missed for not shooting in Manual mode.
    YES. You have missed out the ability to train your mind to see clour in Black and White. To imagine and paint with light. To understand the how different frequency of spectrum of colors affect the CMOS/ CCD. How Vapour and temperature affects the quality of light.

In short... A,S,P are auto mode... Unless you play with EV... You missed out the GREAT PART ABOUT IMAGINING and CAPTURING YOU IMAGINATION... This is philosophical man! I should write a book!

Cheers!

What mode you shoot at does not matter. it's the output of the picture that's important.
    Loslos...

i found that my D90 exposure is more accurate with manual mode
    Program Modes won't change the way your camera meters exposure.

I guess somebody is still trying to find a ultimate-superior-one_solution_fix_all-need_not_to_worry_on_anything-everything_also_can mode
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

=D
    i compare it to driving.
    Auto and Manual gears

Auto gives you partial control, as Xtol mentioned.
    Manual gives you full control.

You can drift with both auto and manual gears, just that the technique is a little different, and results would be slightly different.
    You can take pictures with both semi auto modes (A, S, ) and manual modes, just that usage techniques vary from each other slightly, and results are fairly different.

If you're proficient, manual would be optimal, because manual mode can achieve results that semi auto modes can achieve
    Inversely, you may not be able to achieve a particular result that's possible in manual with auto modes.
    1 Camera Body and a couple lenses.

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    I guess somebody is still trying to find a ultimate-superior-one_solution_fix_all-need_not_to_worry_on_anything-everything_also_can mode
    That is called the Sit-in-your-chair-put-leg-up-eat-popcorn-and-have-several-massuers-massage-you-all-over-while-you-watch-TV-mode!

Quote Originally Posted by Dream Merchant View Post
    That is called the Sit-in-your-chair-put-leg-up-eat-popcorn-and-have-several-massuers-massage-you-all-over-while-you-watch-TV-mode!
    Sit-in-your-chair-put-leg-up-eat-popcorn-and-have-several-massuers-massage-you-all-over-while-you-watch-a-live-feed-of-your-robot-photographer-take-photos-for-you-mode.

I will work on M mode when I take pictures on my nephew, or kids. Reason the P mode or A mode will tend to push the aperture, or slower Shutter in in door light condition. I generally do not like to use flash to alter the actual ambience. In M mode, I want to control the shutter (to freeze action) and the aperture (to achieve the DOF i want). I let Auto ISO to do the compensation work. As I'm using FF, pics at ISO 3200 F1.4 1/60 sec is acceptable for me.

i almost always use manual as it allow me to have complete control over the mood and feel of my picture. But say, i'm shooting at a convention, where the lighting condition keep changing with limited time to adjust... i will go P usually...
    Playing with M43.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12