Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ND2 or ND4

Default Re: ND2 or ND4

Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    I guess you mix up something about astrophotography where it is true that one must not use any normal ND filter when taking pictures of the sun during daylight (except during time of sunrise / sunset). Apart from that there is nothing to worry about when just taking pictures. If the cheap ND filter does not block any "mysterious radiation" then it is the same as having no filter at all. But we mostly take pictures every day without filters...
    Please verify the source of your information and be precise about any threatening conditions. Enough FUD around already.
    I am raising a caution, not a debate. I myself uses a cheap filter. ok, I have interpreted the article wrongly. Inexpensive filters may create colour casts and not blind you. All ND filters regardless of price may blind you.

"Practical ND filters are not perfect as they do not reduce the intensity of all wavelengths equally. This can sometimes create color casts in recorded images, particularly with inexpensive filters. More significantly, most ND filters are only specified over the visible region of the spectrum, and do not proportionally block all wavelengths of ultraviolet or infrared radiation. This can be dangerous if using ND filters to view sources (such as the sun or white-hot metal or glass) which emit intense non-visible radiation, since the eye may be damaged even though the source does not look bright when viewed through the filter. Special filters must be used if such sources are to be safely viewed."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neutral_density_filter

Don't always compare price. Material quality comes with price and the larger the diameter, the costly (by factor). Doesn't mean we must buy everything cheaply. You buy according to your need and expectation. The cheap ND glass are very thin, can crack/scratch easily and maybe flares.

The common ND are only for general picture meant to slow down the shutter by cutting light and NOT to look at dangerous lights like the Sun which requires special astro filters. That includes staring at the setting sun directly.

Text out there did mention of ND400 (virtually black filter) to achieve safety view but receive this with some caution.

Quote Originally Posted by ManWearPants View Post

I have the same Marumi but ND4. I got it for 50+

I read somewhere that cheap ND can pose a threat to your eyes as it gives you a false perception that all spectrum/radiation has been filtered. So if you look directly into bright source for prolong period, you can damage your eyes. Just be careful with how you use it.
    Last edited by spheredome; 29th May 2009 at 07:37 PM.

Yes, different glass coating are made for special purpose, so unless specified, those off the shelf are for general photography only. To addon, viewing intense light source thru a SLR is ultra dangerous because the lens concentrate the light into the mirror.

For UV, however would have been filtered off by the thick glass layer of the lens before reaching the viewfinder. Any UV that can pass thru thick lens and up the viewfinder would not be safe for skin too.

Quote Originally Posted by ManWearPants View Post
    I am raising a caution, not a debate. I myself uses a cheap filter. ok, I have interpreted the article wrongly. Inexpensive filters may create colour casts and not blind you. All ND filters regardless of price may blind you.

"Practical ND filters are not perfect as they do not reduce the intensity of all wavelengths equally. This can sometimes create color casts in recorded images, particularly with inexpensive filters. More significantly, most ND filters are only specified over the visible region of the spectrum, and do not proportionally block all wavelengths of ultraviolet or infrared radiation. This can be dangerous if using ND filters to view sources (such as the sun or white-hot metal or glass) which emit intense non-visible radiation, since the eye may be damaged even though the source does not look bright when viewed through the filter. Special filters must be used if such sources are to be safely viewed."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neutral_density_filter

Best is to get filter system like cokin (for flexibility) which doesn't deflate your wallet. If you can't decide on a 1-stop or 2-stop filters, you can always buy 2 1-stop filters.
    hasta la justicia siempre

i got my hoya ND8 58mm for $30 at OP, isit expensivE?

Hi There,

I personally use cokin slide on type with
    - ND-2
    - ND-4
    - ND-2 Grad
    - ND-4 Grad

usually you could mix and match and cobo the setup according to what suites you. As like most have mentioned, you could stack up to get higher stops cut. Its best to understand the scene and then use what you already have at least. Also watch for things like dust and finger marks when you fiddle with stacked filters.

rgds,
    Sulhan

how much cheaper do you want it to be?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12