Thread: URA's MY ENDEARING HOME Photo Competition

Smile URA's MY ENDEARING HOME Photo Competition

Hi guys, here's a photo competition organised by URA. There are 2 categories: 'My Home' and 'My Heritage'. Hurry and take part by submitting your entries online...there are great prizes to be won! To find out more, you can refer to http://www.ura.gov.sg/myendearinghome/takepart.htm

Default Re: URA's MY ENDEARING HOME Photo Competition

Hmm ...

ALL photographic prints and digital image files submitted are non-returnable and shall become the property of URA without the need for payment of any fee or charge whatsoever.

URA reserves exhibition and publication rights to the winning and selected entries in print, broadcast and electronic media without requiring the permission of the participant and without any fee payment. However the photographer will be acknowledged.

URA is not obliged to use any captions or photographs which have been submitted for consideration.

Make sure that there are no markings (names, logo or any writing) on photo entries.

URA reserves the right to modify the competition prizes and its rules and regulations as and when necessary, without prior notice.

INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY RIGHTS how? Why keep ALL the submitted entries and make them the property of URA?
    Last edited by Dream Merchant; 28th May 2009 at 08:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dream Merchant View Post
    Hmm ...

ALL photographic prints and digital image files submitted are non-returnable and shall become the property of URA without the need for payment of any fee or charge whatsoever.

URA reserves exhibition and publication rights to the winning and selected entries in print, broadcast and electronic media without requiring the permission of the participant and without any fee payment. However the photographer will be acknowledged.

URA is not obliged to use any captions or photographs which have been submitted for consideration.

Make sure that there are no markings (names, logo or any writing) on photo entries.

URA reserves the right to modify the competition prizes and its rules and regulations as and when necessary, without prior notice.

INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY RIGHTS how? Why keep ALL the submitted entries and make them the property of URA?
    1st underlined sentence means you cannot tell them to delete or throw away any softcopy/hardcopy after you submitted your photo.

2nd underlined sentence means they don't have to ask you for permission again to print/broadcast the photos your submitted.

3rd underlined sentence is to cover their backside.

Sentence after 2nd underlined sentence says they will have to acknowledge you, or be sued.

Quote Originally Posted by areality View Post
    1st underlined sentence means you cannot tell them to delete or throw away any softcopy/hardcopy after you submitted your photo.

2nd underlined sentence means they don't have to ask you for permission again to print/broadcast the photos your submitted.

Sentence after 2nd underlined sentence says they will have to acknowledge you, or be sued.
    good one.

Thanks for sharing.......

Top 20 photos for the "My Home" category can be viewed at http://www.ura.gov.sg/myendearinghome/takepart.htm, under "Photo Gallery"

Still got chance for the "My Heritage" category which is open till the 16th July...

Nice pictures but some comments in general about photo contests:
    - somehow I think people are trying to copy a lot of other photographs from some other photo contests (clothes on the bar, the chess board, the colourful HDB)
    - another thing i noticed, a lot of photograph winners are with Wide angle or fish-eye lenses

I think the judges need to look at the subject rather then the dynamic and twisted angles (just a personal preference)

Please don't feel I am saying this because i didn't win (I never participated in this one )
    This is my general observation, not just for this contest.
    D90 | 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 || flickr || photoblog

Quote Originally Posted by ssdesign View Post
    Nice pictures but some comments in general about photo contests:
    - somehow I think people are trying to copy a lot of other photographs from some other photo contests (clothes on the bar, the chess board, the colourful HDB)
    - another thing i noticed, a lot of photograph winners are with Wide angle or fish-eye lenses

I think the judges need to look at the subject rather then the dynamic and twisted angles (just a personal preference)
    I noticed this too! Was surprised that so many of the winnign shots were either UWA or fisheye!

honestly, its the mundane being re-presented through lenses that evoke 'difference' by their very nature. honestly, a fish-eye can be used much better than that. and i think the first time you see clothes hanging, its cool because of how something regular is appropriated as artistic, but subsequently, MUCH more needs to be done to push the subject matter in terms of composition, to say something that hasn't already been said many times before.
    pictures are poems that write light into shadow

yesh..

cos UWA bang for bucks..take in many many things in one frame..

*yawn*

Hi,
    Clothes hanging was one of the top 50 shortlisted by Singapore In Pixel contest:
    http://www.visitsingapore.com/publis...egory1_24.html
    (Last row)
    I think this version was much better. I liked it infact. It was the fresh and innovative. but anything after that is copy for me

Colourful HDB, again Singapore in Pixel top 50 shortlist:
    http://www.visitsingapore.com/publis...egory1_26.html
    (second row second column. incidently its the same HDB block.)

Just for your information

Quote Originally Posted by marcdn View Post
    honestly, its the mundane being re-presented through lenses that evoke 'difference' by their very nature. honestly, a fish-eye can be used much better than that. and i think the first time you see clothes hanging, its cool because of how something regular is appropriated as artistic, but subsequently, MUCH more needs to be done to push the subject matter in terms of composition, to say something that hasn't already been said many times before.
    D90 | 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 || flickr || photoblog

buy uwa lens lor.......

anyways, it's just a competition. and from my point of view, i liked a lot of the uwa/fisheye photos, i thought they were decently taken

anyhow, photography is subjective, at least these aren't horrible from my viewpoint, there is at least something to look at most of the time.

i think uwa/fisheye take up 50%, which isn't half bad what, literally, pun not intended.
    Last edited by night86mare; 8th July 2009 at 11:43 PM.

Good catch!!

What is the difference between this type of rules and uploading song say by Britney Spears? Britney Spears is still original singer of the song what.

Photographers who value their work should take note.

Quote Originally Posted by AReality View Post

Equipments: DSLR: Canon, Nikon. Compacts: Lumix, Fuji, Olympus, Canon compacts

Quote Originally Posted by AReality View Post
    hmm... from what i read, 1st underlined sentence means much more then this... but then i m no lawyer...

The finalist is on saturday 29 Aug 2009 at Parkway parade.Anyone received the notified letter yet?