Thread: Night Photography Locations

Default Night Photography Locations

will be going on a night shoot this friday.. However, before I go, anyone has any recommendations on where to shoot? like, the best night scene and stuff? Thanks in advance!

Default Re: Night Photography Locations

you want tried and tested locations or those ulu ulu ones not many people know about?
    You wont see me much less remember me but i am the guy who makes you look good.

I like the CBD area...Lots of bright lights.

Tanjong Pagar - lots of bright colored flashing lights...
    Loslos...

You can try Orchard Rd.

This was taken from Shaw House carpark.

Marina area is really nice at night..

Marina barrage? A lot people went there...
    Clarke Quay?

Hey check with u guys. Anyone ever tried gg boat quay taking pix on weekend nights? Candid shots of "merlion" or sth? any bad experiece? pls share. Thanks

Great pics Lifestyle1881, the last one's my favorite but great shots all around in my view
    http://www.photographystudioequipment.net
    http://www.cameramemorycards.net

I give you a suggestion, try these places.

1. Mt Faber (have not tried it before but been there a few times in the nite)
    2. Singapore River
    3. Little India (have not tried it before but been there a few times in the nite)
    4. City Hall
    5. Mohd Sultan area (areas with pubs etc.)

CBD area is good also but the streets may be dull as it's after working hours.

Quote Originally Posted by ChenGuy View Post
    Hey check with u guys. Anyone ever tried gg boat quay taking pix on weekend nights? Candid shots of "merlion" or sth? any bad experiece? pls share. Thanks
    I feel Merlion is kinda over-shot already.

Quote Originally Posted by calebk View Post
    I agree with you.

Just like day shots, it doesn't matter where you take it, but rather how you take it. But if you want to practice, it doesn't hurt to try the usual places. (Esplanade, Marina Barrage, etc)

And if you're an aspiring strobist, the possibilities are endless.
    Brand loyalty? Pffttt...| Got Flickr?
    I shoot JPEG (got a problem with that?)

think he mean a different kind of merlion...

Quote Originally Posted by crust85 View Post
    will be going on a night shoot this friday.. However, before I go, anyone has any recommendations on where to shoot? like, the best night scene and stuff? Thanks in advance!
    It depends on what kinda night fotos you wanna make. Once you know the directions (photographically speaking), keep a close observations on yr surroundings and the places you have been or passed by. Recce the locations in the day and familiarise yrself with the locations. Pre-visualize how certain location spots or areas look like during the night. Then make a trip down there at night with yr essential gears and make that foto.

City scapes, tourist sites, and town areas are way too common places and nothing's special about them, unless you are able to see where no others see in yr creative mind's eye, But however it's a good practice for beginners or hobbyists who like the vibrance of the city lights.

Only u yrself know what you want and what to look out for, if you wanna make artistic night fotos, so that yr pictures will stand out from the others. Ask yrself these questions - what do you wanna achieve in night photography, what message do you wanna convey thru yr night fotos, etc. You can check out night photographers' websites and try to understand their work. Once you are prepared, let yr creativity take charge and you will have many night fotos to make.

Hope my words are constructive and helpful in a way. Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by calebk View Post
    but it is still worth going when you get the good light

it is overshot for a reason, it is a nice place.

for example, many locations are "overshot" on places like fredmiranda, like cannon beach, yosemite park, yellowstone park... in terms of landscapes... but i can never tire of looking at it, because the light always changes, and brings out different characters.

of course, the merlion being urban has less variation, but the same applies. nonetheless, i'd agree if you say that it is harder to make a merlion shot stand out from amongst the crowd.

anyways, night shots can be done in many places, even a hdb area with a good view can be a nice night shot area.

1) kallang basin
    2) cbd area (city hall)
    3) punggol end beach (not too late though)
    4) changi boardwalk
    5) any overhead bridge over heavy traffic (e.g. highways)

the number of places and options are unlimited, if you have seen what eikin can produce at night in singapore, you will be amazed.