Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sony or Canon

Default Re: Sony or Canon

OF COURSE CANON! Just look at sporting events - White Lenses..... On TV news, the journalists - L lenses, Need I say more?
    We tend to see more D3s nowadays.

Anyway TS, IIRC the noise control on Sony bodies isn't that spectacular. Tried the A300 if I'm not mistaken. No offence to Sony users.

I am in your position once and really couldn't decide between the CSN...hmm, I wonder why ClubSNap is named so
    Anyway, don't bother to compare. There really isn't a apple to apple comparison. Each brand fills the gap of the other brands. Do a 3 year projection of the lenses you will buy. Compare the price of the different lenses in your list...Canon, Nikor, Alpha and buy the one that is cheapest.

Quote Originally Posted by pbxxjelly View Post
    I intend to get a DSLR but I'm not sure which one would be best suited for me (and my bank). I have to save up on my own because I plan to do this independently of my parents. The photos would be mostly portraits, maybe the occasional landscapes... I was thinking Sony A200 but I read around and found that Sony wasn't a very popular DSLR brand. Is there some reason for this? Canon seems okay, but it's a tad pricier than Sony. Any comments?
    I am also a new DSLR user as I bought mine 6mths ago to improve the IQ of photos of my family and son. With this requirement in mind, I started shop for one at last year SITEX.

Having owned several Canon pns before, my mindset was quite certain to go for 450D and have tried many times at Vivocity and quite pleased with the IQ. Another model I look to compare was D90 which was just launched that time with video, and Nikon had a good impression in my mind as it seems to be as popular as Canon ones in the market and most of my friends told me I won't go wrong with either of them.

However, things took a 180' turn when I visited Sony booth at SITEX. When I put my hands on a300, it gave me a more solid feel than 450D which gives you a better "One thousand dollar feel" than 450D.

My decision was more or less firm when I tried the Liveview function on a300. I used to think Liveview was just another gimmicks which is useless in these pro cameras. However, once I noticed how fast the AF works on Sony one compared to D90, my mind was made up that this is the camera that will help me compose and shoot good candid pictures of my son at home, and my wife will find it easy to use as well.

So bottom line, I am not trying to say 450D and D90 is not good, in fact they are perfect in their own rights and in good hands can produce similar or better results. However, it just that a300 works better for me, which eventually I am the one using it, not any brothers here.

Give yourself a free mind when shopping for one and dun think too much about lenses/accessories unless you intend to go pro. It's the usability of the equipment that will keep you using it for long period. As you can see, I dun even think of Sony as alternative but eventually bought one as my first DSLR...

Just sharing my experience.

After doing some researches, I like the Sony - either Alpha A330 or A350; not A380 just only because i can't afford it.

I'm also a new bie and haven't bought the camera yet.

The reasons i like Sony are:
    1. Stability is built on the body - so no need IS lens as Canon --> can use some Minolta & other normal lenses (cheaper)
    2. The price is quite reasonable (for the body)
    3. Quality is also same same as Nikon and Canon (after seeing some demo pix). Of course i'm still amateur. hehe...

All boils down to the price and which u feel comfortable with for the future.

And in case u r worried about Sony being a new player, it has been a big electronic player and their aggressive DSLR forray has placed them in the 3rd behind the two makers within a short span. I will probably be expecting them to go extra mile to expand their user base with more offerings. ( Sony has been a long time sensor maker for the big 2 anyway )

Not selling koyok since I am a happy N / C user, but I am pretty impressed with what Sony came out with. You can't go wrong with any of them or any other camera makers.

Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by Ouverture View Post
    I am also a new DSLR user as I bought mine 6mths ago to improve the IQ of photos of my family and son. With this requirement in mind, I started shop for one at last year SITEX.

Having owned several Canon pns before, my mindset was quite certain to go for 450D and have tried many times at Vivocity and quite pleased with the IQ. Another model I look to compare was D90 which was just launched that time with video, and Nikon had a good impression in my mind as it seems to be as popular as Canon ones in the market and most of my friends told me I won't go wrong with either of them.

However, things took a 180' turn when I visited Sony booth at SITEX. When I put my hands on a300, it gave me a more solid feel than 450D which gives you a better "One thousand dollar feel" than 450D.

My decision was more or less firm when I tried the Liveview function on a300. I used to think Liveview was just another gimmicks which is useless in these pro cameras. However, once I noticed how fast the AF works on Sony one compared to D90, my mind was made up that this is the camera that will help me compose and shoot good candid pictures of my son at home, and my wife will find it easy to use as well.

So bottom line, I am not trying to say 450D and D90 is not good, in fact they are perfect in their own rights and in good hands can produce similar or better results. However, it just that a300 works better for me, which eventually I am the one using it, not any brothers here.

Give yourself a free mind when shopping for one and dun think too much about lenses/accessories unless you intend to go pro. It's the usability of the equipment that will keep you using it for long period. As you can see, I dun even think of Sony as alternative but eventually bought one as my first DSLR...

Just sharing my experience.
    Great advice that should be heeded, except maybe for the lenses part... I was also in a similar situation, after all that research, Canon 450D was 99% "sure buy" in my books till i headed down to a store and tried it out... Small, plasticky, just didn't feel right... On another occasion i went to try out an Olympus and it fitted on me like a glove, and the rest is history.
    Last edited by redtealongan; 28th May 2009 at 06:24 PM. Reason: typo

My advice for you is either you save more money to buy A900 or if you can't wait long.. then save abit and buy A380 when it comes out. Dun buy A350.. Trust me! you won't go wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoooters View Post
    My advice for you is either you save more money to buy A900 or if you can't wait long.. then save abit and buy A380 when it comes out. Dun buy A350.. Trust me! you won't go wrong.
    Err...

Have you read the spec between A380 vs A350??

Quote Originally Posted by lenrek View Post
    Err...

Have you read the spec between A380 vs A350??
    Yes.. did you notice the design of the inbuilt flash has changed. i like the new design. the old design suxs..!! the reason is because A350 inbuilt flash is very low and if i use lens like SAL18250 or SAL1118.. you could see the len's shadow on your shots. dun believe go and try..
    Last edited by Shoooters; 28th May 2009 at 07:15 PM.

Yes.. did you notice the design of the inbuilt flash has changed. i like the new design. the old design suxs..!! the reason is because A350 inbuilt flash is very low and if i use lens like SAL18250 or SAL1118.. you could see the len's shadow on your shots. dun believe go and try..
    I own A350...

Have you read the big debate/argument at AlphaWorld regarding the new "entry" level dSLR?

http://www.alphamountworld.com/previ...-a380-previews

By understanding their features, I would go for A350 then A380 anytime. Heck, if I were to choose between A200 and A380, I would go for A200!

Lens' shadow can be overcome if you aim at it further from the camera, or get an external flash. How to overcome a problem if the feature you need is not in the camera?

I am not saying a230/a330/a380 are bad, but by reading into what Sony had done, I think, these are aiming at different crowd of people.

Quote Originally Posted by lenrek View Post
    I own A350...

Have you read the big debate/argument at AlphaWorld regarding the new "entry" level dSLR?

http://www.alphamountworld.com/previ...-a380-previews

By understanding their features, I would go for A350 then A380 anytime. Heck, if I were to choose between A200 and A380, I would go for A200!

Lens' shadow can be overcome if you aim at it further from the camera, or get an external flash. How to overcome a problem if the feature you need is not in the camera?

I am not saying a230/a330/a380 are bad, but by reading into what Sony had done, I think, these are aiming at different crowd of people.
    I own A350 too.. i like everything except the flash.

Each brand has its own pros / cons, but all are capable of taking nice photos. Price wise, some are offering more for less (too good to be true isnt it). Do a bit of research and you'll find it out.

I own A350 too.. i like everything except the flash.
    Do note however for new a230/330/380 in-built flash is weaker in power (GN10 vs GN12 of a200/300/350) and it also loses the wireless commander function.

Not many people can afford to spend at least 5k on body and lenses.

A200 is actually a very good option (less than $800 for new set) for beginners.

I am sure you bought a350 for the same reason. Can't possible ask a newbie to go straight to the best and most expensive camera....it will scare him off lah...

Try out the different models which fits your budget.

Sony A200 ,A300, A350, A700
    Nikon D40x, D60, D80, D90
    Canon 1000D, 450D, 40D

I have own both Sony & Canon. But I still prefer Canon for the series of lens selection and the better focusing system.
    I'm looking at a different perpective of life.

Quote Originally Posted by Ouverture View Post
    Not many people can afford to spend at least 5k on body and lenses.

A200 is actually a very good option (less than $800 for new set) for beginners.

I am sure you bought a350 for the same reason. Can't possible ask a newbie to go straight to the best and most expensive camera....it will scare him off lah...
    hehe.. Scally rich kid ah.. u never know..
    anyway.. if very tight on the cash.. maybe he can buy 2nd hand A200 and lens. even cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by Shin Howard View Post
    Try out the different models which fits your budget.

Sony A200 ,A300, A350, A700
    Nikon D40x, D60, D80, D90
    Canon 1000D, 450D, 40D

I have own both Sony & Canon. But I still prefer Canon for the series of lens selection and the better focusing system.
    Hmmmm.. just curious.. what kind of lens you have for your Sony DSLR?

Shortlist ur most preferred model for sony and canon...go down and test, that will be ur deciding moment. And i do really recommend u to consider nikon as well....

Hmmmm.. just curious.. what kind of lens you have for your Sony DSLR?
    Actually i just have the sony basic kit lens, sold off the 75-300 tho.
    I'm looking at a different perpective of life.

Quote Originally Posted by Shin Howard View Post
    Actually i just have the sony basic kit lens, sold off the 75-300 tho.
    You should try CZ or G lens.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast