Thread: Does brand matters for filter?

Default Does brand matters for filter?

I think most of you have filters of more than 1 brand.
    Can you tell me what is the difference in terms of optical quality.

The price of a 55mm hoya polarizer is $50 plus where as a equivalent heliopan polarizer is around $130.
    If not talking about the frame material, what is the value added when buying those epensive filter.

I ever asked Cathay people, they say is the color tone. alamak...only one piece of glass.

I heard of B+W, Hoya, Heliopan, Marumi, Rodenstock, Cokin, Seagull, GM, Vitacon, Contax.
    Maybe someone can help me to sort it by various factors.

when you read photography books on Q and A like this, the author will usually reply in this manner :

Would you put a 10 dollar filter on your 500 dollar brand new ultra sharp lens, when everything is actually viewed through a 10 dollar piece of glass, or will you up it by another 10 to make it a 20 dollar trustworthy piece of glass? I will choose the latter.

my 1.5 cents worth.....

hope it doesn't confuse you more.....

Sama sama.
    Although mine is just the CP5700, its not really worth it to save the money by getting cheap filters. Brands like Hoya are both cheap and good!

Thanks for your comments.
    of coz I won't use low quality filter that will affect the optical quality of the result.

But let's say between Hoya, Heliopan, B+W and the rest.
    Does they differ in terms of optical quality?
    Anyone got any experience on these brands, kindly enlighten.

Frankly speaking, i can't tell the difference from hoya and B+W in terms of picture quality (using UV filter). But from a layman point of view, B+W seem to have pretty good dust repellent properties than hoya. (ie less dust particles seen on the exterior after usage). So I clean the B+W filter less often than the hoya one. However, B+W comes at a price hence since a UV filter is gonna be on your lens for most of the time, i feel that its justifiable getting a 'good' one. Other filters like CP if you get B+W ones, it cost a bomb and you dun use it all the time, so I got a hoya one instead. Well this is my view only, maybe others have different views to share.

Deregistered

the better 4-digit costing lens ought to have a filter that does it justice. but remember that it has to do your wallet justice from your usage pattern too.

1. if your eyes can see the diff in the pics then yes, it makes a diff to u

2. if your eyes can't see any diff in the pics then no .which will mean that u can spend less and get just some ordinary filter and carry on to shoot happily :-)

for most people theres no diff.

the only problem is for those who somehow try to force themselves to try and spot the diff...thats too painful i guess

Some Hoya filters are made by Tokina right? I think their Polarisers are made by Tokina 'coz I saw it on the box when I got one at CP. And the price difference is $10! just for better packaging and the HOYA brand name.

Quote Originally Posted by Evilmerlin
    Sama sama.
    Although mine is just the CP5700, its not really worth it to save the money by getting cheap filters. Brands like Hoya are both cheap and good!
    Last i checked the Coolpix5700 does not have a filter thread to mount any filters. How do you do it?

I use the Nextphoto adaptor. It attaches to the UR-E8.

http://www.nextphoto.net/

Only thing is that you have to order it from Canada.

edit: updated the webpage
    Last edited by Evilmerlin; 28th November 2003 at 09:56 AM.

I use a variety of B+W, Hoya, Nikon, and Tiffen filters. Aside from the differences in ease of cleaning (which I assume is due to the different coatings), I honestly can't tell the difference in the optical quality of these filters when I look at my prints or slides. However, I would advise everyone to buy the best filter you can afford though, because the more expensive filters are usually coated/multi-coated & this helps in reducing flares.