Thread: Fujicolor Superia xtra 800 and Press 800

Default Fujicolor Superia xtra 800 and Press 800

Which is a superior film? How much does the films cost at Cathay Photo. Xtra 800 is $6.50 at the Shop opposite Bata.

Quote Originally Posted by tbk
    Which is a superior film? How much does the films cost at Cathay Photo. Xtra 800 is $6.50 at the Shop opposite Bata.
    Press 800 is a professional film. Xtra is a consumer film.

They are basically the same. Press800 is meant to be used immediately for optimum results while Xtra 800 is the same formulation but biased to account for changes during long term storage.

DOes it mean that Press has to be stored in the fridge? I just bought a press 800 at CP for $6.

Quote Originally Posted by Zerstorer
    They are basically the same. Press800 is meant to be used immediately for optimum results while Xtra 800 is the same formulation but biased to account for changes during long term storage.
    Last edited by kiwitan; 20th November 2003 at 02:37 PM.

Yep, press800 is always stored in fridges.

The product code for Press800 is P-800 CZ-5, Superia 800 is S-800 CZ-5, both look identical if you check the specsheet on the Fuji website.

In most cases I can't tell any diff from P800 and S800 though sometimes S800 may be more inconsistent if its an old batch.

1. it is not a must to store press800 in fridge even though it was meant to be handled that way. i never did that anyway...and never got any side effects.

2. from experience, press 800 gives slightly "punchier" colours. ie i can register a slight difference in the output. your interpretation may be different.

Press 800 can be pushed up to ISO3200 and still give decent grain, but not Xtra 800. However, Xtra 800 gives more vibrant colours, I find the colours of press a little muted.

Quote Originally Posted by tbk