Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 691011121316 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you bring (photographic equipment) for travel

Default Re: What do you bring(photographic equipment) for travel

Hi it is just my opinion, I prefer to carry less. What you mentioned is quite a complete system of gears if you are going there just for holiday unless there is an assignment. The gears that you bring will make you carry less Timberland and Levis stuff back from there =P Furthermore you wont wan to lug around with it all day like Disney.

Just a few question like why bring a grip and backup cam? Why dun just 18-105 to cover all the fast lens and shoot in DX.

Quote Originally Posted by Numnumball View Post
    Was preparing my list when i saw this thread
    For my US trip in 2 days time (14 days to California, LA, San Fransico, Nevada, Las Vegas)

I am bringing : -
    D700
    MBD10
    AFS 17-35mm f2.8
    AFS 24-70mm f2.8
    AFS 105mm VR f2.8
    D5000
    AFS 18-105mm f3.5-5.6
    SB900
    Demb Flip it Pro
    Lee GND 0.6 Soft
    Lee GND 0.9 Hard
    Kenko Pro 1D CPL
    Hoya ND8
    Hoya ND400
    2 sandisk 8 GB 30m/s
    12 Enelops
    MC-30 cable release
    Rocket Blower
    3 pcs of micro fiber cleaning cloth
    Acer Netbook
    ThinkTank Urban Disguise 50
    Sirui T-1004 Tripod
    Markins Q3

Hope i have nt left out anything..
    D300/700/3S|14-24|24-70|70-200|17-55|16|14|24PC|28|50|85|105M|135DC|500|18-200|24-120|200-400|T11-16

Quote Originally Posted by DonnyDan View Post
    Just a few question like why bring a grip and backup cam? Why dun just 18-105 to cover all the fast lens and shoot in DX.
    Backup, in case the main one fails... would suck to carry all that equipement and only have 1 body and it fails. Now you'd have a ton of "useless" gear for the rest of your trip.

18-105 can cover a decent focal range, but the trade off is that aperture is smaller, IQ is not as good, and probably won't AF as fast. In some instances you want more Bokeh or need a wider aperture due to lower light conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by 2evans View Post
    Backup, in case the main one fails... would suck to carry all that equipement and only have 1 body and it fails. Now you'd have a ton of "useless" gear for the rest of your trip.

18-105 can cover a decent focal range, but the trade off is that aperture is smaller, IQ is not as good, and probably won't AF as fast. In some instances you want more Bokeh or need a wider aperture due to lower light conditions.
    I see that why it is really depend on the nature of your holiday. I bring 2 or more if it is an assignment that cannot make any mistake, but for holiday carrying so many things is quite a burden esp on load, on safe keeping and transporting.

For comparison, this is what i bring for general trip.
    D300
    N18-200
    T11-16
    Kenko TC 1.4

and this is what I brought to Egypt recently. Once i am at Cairo during free and easy i left everything in the hotel room and walk around with my D700 14-24 24-120.

D300 D700
    14-24
    24-70
    70-200
    105M
    300(Borrow)
    24-120
    Kenko TC 1.4
    Last edited by DonnyDan; 30th December 2009 at 12:35 PM.
    D300/700/3S|14-24|24-70|70-200|17-55|16|14|24PC|28|50|85|105M|135DC|500|18-200|24-120|200-400|T11-16

Quote Originally Posted by Randius View Post
    Will be bringing the following to Phuket:

GF-1
    20/1.7
    14-45
    Memory cards
    Batteries

That's all
    yeah man, this is what I prolly wan to bring as well...dont want to torture myself carrying all those heavy gears...

mayb i will just throw in a LX3 as a backup...

DSLR, two lenses (21mm / 70mm), point and shoot, tripod.

It's always a balance, but heavy gear generally leads to exhaustion, reduced mobility, increased 'visibility' to your subjects, and ultimately poorer shots.

Ultimately, it's about the experience. Soak it all in, then take some pictures; otherwise, documentation IS the destination.

However, if you're making money out of it, i guess anything goes.

What, or where, is Carol?

Perhaps you are referring to Cairo?

...and this is what I brought to Egypt recently. Once i am at Carol during free and easy i left everything in the hotel room and walk around with my D700 14-24 24-120.
    With modern cameras this smart, it's easier than ever to take bad pictures.

Haha ya my mistake. Amended.

Quote Originally Posted by twiki View Post
    What, or where, is Carol?

Perhaps you are referring to Cairo?

20 days Australia Roadtrip:

Canon 50D with 18-200mm lens attached.
    Canon 580EXII.
    GF1 with 14-45mm lens attached.
    Panny 45-200mm lens.
    Olympus miu-700 Tough
    5 batt chargers (MacBook, Canon 50D, GF1, Olympus, rehcargeable AA-size batts)
    8 rechargeable AA-size batts.
    13" MacBook

Just came back from HK. This is what I brought with me: D300, 8GB card, 2 batteries, 17-35 f2.8, 50 f1.8, 80-200 f2.8, Horizon 202 pano camera (film) + 6 rolls of film. No tripod. I ended up using 17-35 f2.8 most of the time.

5dmk2 without grip, 17-35, 24-85, 35 f2, 50 f1.8, 580ex, cleaning kit, around 42GB (total) of CF cards.

U guys should check out William Chua's (will03) travel kit. The last time round in tanzania, he had a fuji 6x17, mamiya 7iis, and 3 Dslr with different lenses slung around his neck the whole time.
    sigh.

1. D300s
    2. 16-85
    3. geotagging gps (Easytagger or gp-1, not decided which to buy yet)

5dm2
    24-105
    430EX
    macbk pro

only a leisure photographer...currently with 5dm2 a videographer hobbyist as well...

shoot for memories keeping.

only use camera bag for transportation; if not, most of time will just sling the cam and walk around...
    lesser things the better it is..
    Last edited by aloskimo; 1st January 2010 at 11:02 PM.

[IMG]http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_fyiKcLWpx7A/SvZFw9Vw93I/AAAAAAAAAAM/z6g9O9QdBjI/s1600-h/DSCN0182

http

Two Nikon D200 bodies
    Nikon AF 300 f2.8 edif / with TC 14B
    Nikon AF 24-120 f3.5-5.6
    Nikon AF 17-35 f2.8
    Sigma AF 12-24 f4.5=5.6
    Nikon AF 20 f2.8
    Nikon MF 50 1.4
    I also carry a couple of older nikon speedlights and a couple of vivitar 285's or 283's with wein poppers or some cheapo Chinese radio slaves in the bag... Along with some flash cards and a point and shoot. (the point and shoot must run on standard AA batteries and us SD cards.
    I also thro in a Nikon "F" or Nikormat ft3 with a manual 20 f2.8 lens on it...(still hard to beat film sometimes).
    If I lighten up I go with just one body and three lenses...Nik 300m...Nik 24-120...Sig 12-24...and the point and shoot,( in this case an L20 coolpix)
    As you can see most of my gear is kinda ugly and painted with bits of fluoresent Orange...easily identifiable and easy to find in the dark.
    I do a lot of my travels in Thailand so I get most of my gear serviced and cleaned at Nikon in Bangkok.
    www.nikon.co.th/contactus.php
    Since I live on Guam as with all warm humid climates, fungus is the primary enemy!!!

://snakephoto.blogspot.com/2009/11/this-is-my-normal-travel-kit.html.JPG[/IMG]

cheers George www.snakephoto.blogspot.com

Hi it is just my opinion, I prefer to carry less. What you mentioned is quite a complete system of gears if you are going there just for holiday unless there is an assignment. The gears that you bring will make you carry less Timberland and Levis stuff back from there =P Furthermore you wont wan to lug around with it all day like Disney.

Missed it, sorry for the late reply dude.. its not a concern to me as i m so used to lugging ard such heavy gear.. Besides i have 2 big luggage half filled on my way to US (obviously it came back with the interior space all fully utlilised (with my wife's ard 10 coach bags *faint* katespade, CK, Timberland, nike/addidas shoes, hugo boss apparel etc etc)

Ohh... Answering ur qs..

Bingo, i brought the 18-105 wif the D5000 which was on my wife's neck most of the time..It's her cam actually.. i labelled it as a backup becos i will have to fall back on the D5000 shd my D700 fails me (which i was proven wrong).

Grip is essential to me as i need
    1) the extra juice(lazy to chg batteries in n out)
    2) comfort in shooting in portrait mode
    3) the arca swiss style base plate to mount on my tripod was meant for my MBD10, if i dun bring the grip, how m i suppose to mount my cam on my tripod

Lastly, u need fast lens to optimize D700 low light ability, alot of my shoots indoor is shot at iso 3200 and above (tripodless some places they dun allow the use as they deem it as hazardless, but i still managed to sneak it in Disney Land and Universal Studios ).
    All my wife's shots on her DX turned out unusable while mine is almost flawless/noiseless.. So bottomline is, FX still tat impt in low light conditions and i wil ldefinietly prefer it over DX for travel photography..

Cheers
    I turned PRO in diaper chg!
    My Flickr|My Son

How right u r dude
    I turned PRO in diaper chg!
    My Flickr|My Son

9 Days Beijing Trip

Sony A300
    Tamron 17-50 f2.8
    Joby GorillaPod SLR Zoom with Ballhead
    1 Extra Batt
    2 x 4g CF

Canon A640 P/S
    Joby GorillaPod
    3 x 2g SD

Still learning..and don't want to break my back, so going minimal!
    Last edited by mezzanine; 11th January 2010 at 12:13 PM.

mezzanine,

Your gear sounds just about right. Enjoy the minimalist approach and don't let your gear bog you down.

Too many photographers who are well beyond the 'just learning' phase have the mistaken belief that they need to cover every last millimeter of focal length, or they'll miss something really great.
    Don't feel you have to do the same thing to have worthwhile vacation shots.

Quote Originally Posted by mezzanine View Post
    9 Days Beijing Trip

Sony A300
    Tamron 17-50 f2.8
    Joby GorillaPod SLR Zoom with Ballhead
    1 Extra Batt
    2 x 4g CF

Canon A640 P/S
    Joby GorillaPod
    3 x 2g SD

Still learning..and don't want to break my back, so going minimal!

Quote Originally Posted by twiki View Post
    mezzanine,

Your gear sounds just about right. Enjoy the minimalist approach and don't let your gear bog you down.

Too many photographers who are well beyond the 'just learning' phase have the mistaken belief that they need to cover every last millimeter of focal length, or they'll miss something really great.
    Don't feel you have to do the same thing to have worthwhile vacation shots.
    It's really up to personal preference as to what you want to bring. If you want to carry a lot of gear, don't be complaining...

I don't think anyone has (been complaining).

But all you need to do is read the part where they admit that, for the better part of the trip, only one of their lenses was on their camera.
    The rest remained in the bag or, better/worse still, in the hotel safe.

But, like you've said, it's personal preference.
    If you want to be burdened by a ton of gear while on vacation.... do whatever makes you happy, and whatever gets the shot.

It's really up to personal preference as to what you want to bring. If you want to carry a lot of gear, don't be complaining...

Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 691011121316 ... LastLast