View Poll Results: Whats the 3 most important features when you select your camera bag

Voters
255. You may not vote on this poll
  • Price

93 36.47%
  • Brand

31 12.16%
  • Exterior Looks

93 36.47%
  • Comfort while carrying it

187 73.33%
  • Ease of use

115 45.10%
  • Capacity

133 52.16%
  • Sturdiness of built

105 41.18%
  • Flexibilty of changing internal configuration

76 29.80%
  • The non resemblence of a camera bag

61 23.92%
  • security

48 18.82%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: What's your criteria selecting a photo backpack

Default Re: What's your criteria selecting a photo backpack

Quote Originally Posted by ServeChilled View Post
    Wow nice! carry ur dslr in a Porter. And your room looks so japanese man.

For me

Looks, does not look like a camera bag

Comfort

Tts why i choose the NG 5162. Cheers
    Thanks..!!!
    Yes, cant really tell is a camera bag at all....

NG is a good bag... I own a NG back pack and use it for hiking.
    So far is a good back pack... but is kinda small if I going to put in a 70-200 F2.8L IS USM.

Cool Re: What's your criteria selecting a photo backpack

Quote Originally Posted by Cartman2000 View Post
    Thinktank definitely is quality which is worth paying for, but doesn't really look good IMO. It has the typical camera bag look(not considering the urban disguise).
    sorry to hijack this thread, but where to buy thinktank at a good price?
    what is the rough price for the urban disguise series?

thanks

Its really based on ones personal preference, thats all i can say

I think most of the backpacks by lowepro, thinktank, and many other brands are comfortable. But imho almost all of them are black or dark coloured and pretty much look the same. In fact black is so common that even a blind man can see that it's a camera bag.

But I must also admit that some black bags really look nice for eg Billingham. Maybe bcos of the canvas material rather than the usual nylon.

Which is why I would vote for looks as first priority when selecting a bag.

Just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by ikilledversace View Post
    I think most of the backpacks by lowepro, thinktank, and many other brands are comfortable. But imho almost all of them are black or dark coloured and pretty much look the same. In fact black is so common that even a blind man can see that it's a camera bag.

But I must also admit that some black bags really look nice for eg Billingham. Maybe bcos of the canvas material rather than the usual nylon.

Just my opinion.
    comfortable camera bags?

well its a good excuse as any to justify getting half an hour getting a shoulder + back massage especially after tmw the photo marathon.
    You wont see me much less remember me but i am the guy who makes you look good.

Think tank Urban Disguise 60 works for me.. carry it like a laptop bag to work.. and use it for business travel & weekend outdoor shoots as well

Quote Originally Posted by ikilledversace View Post

Just my opinion.
    When u decide to get a Billingham and make ur way down to PK Chan or OP (SLM), u b amazed tat u will actually prefer the khaki version.. I went wif the inital intention of getting the black one.. Out of 5 ppl i know ended up choosing the kahki over the black..u will know why..
    I turned PRO in diaper chg!
    My Flickr|My Son

I have bought and also sold off quite a number of backpacks. Currently using Lowepro Primus AW.

The padding is very good and comfortable, better than my thinktank streetwalker pro which I find the straps kept slipping off my shoulders.
    It has quick side assess to my camera and ample of space to store personal stuff.
    Dreaming... 14mm f2.8, 16-35 f2.8 mkII, 85 f1.2 mkII

I'm very satisfied with my tamrac aero speed 75. Easy access to my slr through the side of the bag and its comfortable when carrying it!

I've never been into bags but after picking up photography, I quickly ended up with 4 photo bags in no time. 2 shoulder (5MDH and 7MDH) and 2 backpacks (Nat Geo & Lowepro Fastpak 200).

Like others, I find myself going after the looks, comfort and capacity. On hindsight, 2 things I found I easily overlook are the following:

- Raincoat or All Weather Cover. Some bags come with a cover that will provide you with a higher level of protection against gear unfriendly elements (rain, dust etc).

- Tripod/Monopod slot or holder.

I hope you factor in the above while choosing yours.

:Later,

Blog Entries

I have many freebie bags from back in the day where they really suck eggs. I accumulated several bags since then and I am sure a lot of us have different bags for different occasions

- Tenba D-10 - Small fast and light with AW cover.
    - Winer Robot No.2 - Bought in China in a pinch. Very cheap good sized shoulder bag but amazingly good. Cost less than a no-name tripod bag in SG.
    - Lowepro Fastpack 250 - Good for moderate gear, fast access, and comfortable, and quite stealth.
    - Lowepro Compu Primus AW - Huge, I use this when I fly and have tons of stuff to carry with my gear and laptop. can hold tripod.
    - 2x no-name padded tripod bags

BTW, do not let rain cover be the limiting factor in your choice of backpacks. Rain covers can be bought cheap at hiking supplies store. I got a rain cover for the Fastpack 250 for $10.
    Last edited by daredevil123; 11th October 2009 at 12:16 PM.

Capacity - The more the better
    Comfort - Essential for a long period in the field
    Durability - enough said.
    The Ang Moh from Hell
    Professional Photography - many are called, few are chosen!

Quote Originally Posted by gryphon View Post
    I have bought and also sold off quite a number of backpacks. Currently using Lowepro Primus AW.

The padding is very good and comfortable, better than my thinktank streetwalker pro which I find the straps kept slipping off my shoulders.
    It has quick side assess to my camera and ample of space to store personal stuff.
    I'm looking for a replacement bag and this one looks tempting and more importantly it has the specs that I'm looking for. You've got PM. thanks!
    I shoot with my A7II . I shoot with my Kalashnikov AEG. I just love shooting ;)

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    I have many freebie bags from back in the day where they really suck eggs. I accumulated several bags since then and I am sure a lot of us have different bags for different occasions

- Tenba D-10 - Small fast and light with AW cover.
    - Winer Robot No.2 - Bought in China in a pinch. Very cheap good sized shoulder bag but amazingly good. Cost less than a no-name tripod bag in SG.
    - Lowepro Fastpack 250 - Good for moderate gear, fast access, and comfortable, and quite stealth.
    - Lowepro Compu Primus AW - Huge, I use this when I fly and have tons of stuff to carry with my gear and laptop. can hold tripod.
    - 2x no-name padded tripod bags

BTW, do not let rain cover be the limiting factor in your choice of backpacks. Rain covers can be bought cheap at hiking supplies store. I got a rain cover for the Fastpack 250 for $10.
    Hi there,

For your compu primus, have you encountered any problems using it as a carry on luggage when you fly? I just bought the bag but realised that it exceeds the maximum carry-on luggage size for SIA. Not sure which airlines you fly with but have you faced any such problems before?

Thanks,
    CJ

It must be able to take maximum abuse. Nothing is worse than a camera bag torn and unuseable in the field. Not just it gets into the way, it totally inhibits further movement and cause you to swear. Sometimes an improvised military grade bag is better than a branded bag pack.
    Tum podem extulit horridulum...日出東方﹐唯我不敗。

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    for me, the most important thing is really, not sticking out like a sore thumb

most photobackpacks tend to end up being identifiable in 2 seconds as a photobackpack, even if one is not a photographer.
    yes yes. this is so true. i'm looking for a bag or solution to avoid this. any suggestions ?
    Cheers.
    EOS 5D| EF 50 f/1.4 | EF 17-40 f/4L | Lumix LX3

what all the makers r not putting in, wider shoulder straps & water bag (which is kind of risky but i am willing to take it.)

what most makers did not include in the design, removable waist strap.
    photography makes one sees things from all angles.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234