Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 31

Thread: Newbie with couple of question here.

  1. #1

    Default Newbie with couple of question here.

    Hi guys i am really new to photography and thus need u guys to help me out with a couple of question.

    1st. i am using a nikon d80, and when i am trying to use the built in flash, it pauses for a couple of sec after i depressed the shutter b4 it will flash tgt with my shutter. i have my lens focus le. Note: its not the 1st shot has been a couple of shots le

    2nd is there any adaptor to mount on my d80 so i can use canno lens too?

    3rd wad is metering? i tried using diff metering mode of my cam. but dun seems to make a difference to me. any idea why?

    4th nikon and canon. other den brand different what other benefit wud it have to own a canon. sorry if this is a stupid question.

    5th how can i clean my cam sensor? cos it seems like my friend cam it does auto sensor cleaning. is it useful?

    thanks in adv.
    Last edited by ChenGuy; 26th May 2009 at 08:59 PM.

  2. #2

    Default Re: Newbie with couple of question here.

    1. flash needs to recharge.

    2. depends if you are okay with manual.

    3. tells the camera how bright the target is...read up histogram.

    4. Canon longer warranty and can extend warranty. Canon service center near Vivo so while servicing is done can walk walk see see. Canon warranty is somewhat international.

    5. send to service center.
    You wont see me much less remember me but i am the guy who makes you look good.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Newbie with couple of question here.

    Quote Originally Posted by ChenGuy View Post
    Hi guys i am really new to photography and thus need u guys to help me out with a couple of question.

    1st. i am using a nikon d80, and when i am trying to use the built in flash, it pauses for a couple of sec after i depressed the shutter b4 it will flash tgt with my shutter. i have my lens focus le. Note: its not the 1st shot has been a couple of shots le

    2nd is there any adaptor to mount on my d80 so i can use canno lens too?

    3rd wad is metering? i tried using diff metering mode of my cam. but dun seems to make a difference to me. any idea why?

    4th nikon and canon. other den brand different what other benefit wud it have to own a canon. sorry if this is a stupid question.

    5th how can i clean my cam sensor? cos it seems like my friend cam it does auto sensor cleaning. is it useful?

    thanks in adv.
    hi

    welcome to CS.

    i dont have answer to all your question, but i do have for some.

    if you intend to use a canon lens on your D80. i dun think you can find an adapter for it. AFAIK there is no canon to nikon adapter.

    if your cam sensor is dirty. then just send it down to NSC. it is best we let them do it to prevent any damage doen from DIY cleaning.

    Cheers Mate!
    | An army of sheep led by a lion are more to be feared than an army of lions led by a sheep. |

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Ang Mo Kio
    Posts
    1,325

    Default Re: Newbie with couple of question here.

    Do you really need to clean your sensor? Some dust spots can be cloned away in postprocessing, depending on how bad it is. If it's not serious, don't anyhow just send for cleaning... waste money, waste time, increase risk of damage either by you or by Nikon. Even though they may be responsible for that, the trouble is on you. Anyways, sensor cleaning at NSC costs $20-$25, liable to GST.
    incywincyspider climbup the waterspout...

  5. #5

    Default Re: Newbie with couple of question here.

    Quote Originally Posted by Reportage View Post
    1. flash needs to recharge.

    2. depends if you are okay with manual.

    3. tells the camera how bright the target is...read up histogram.

    4. Canon longer warranty and can extend warranty. Canon service center near Vivo so while servicing is done can walk walk see see. Canon warranty is somewhat international.

    5. send to service center.
    thanks for the reply. As for the flash isn't it recharge after each use? or is it recharge only when the user depress the shutter button?
    so is der any ways i can see a difference in the metering mode? like wad kind of pix to take inorder to see the differences? thanks

  6. #6

    Default Re: Newbie with couple of question here.

    Quote Originally Posted by ChenGuy View Post
    thanks for the reply. As for the flash isn't it recharge after each use? or is it recharge only when the user depress the shutter button?
    so is der any ways i can see a difference in the metering mode? like wad kind of pix to take inorder to see the differences? thanks
    whenever the flash fires, it needs a few seconds to charge up for the next one. Its called recycle time.

    for difference in metering, try landscape for beginners and then portrait. Most common used is Spot or Centre-Weighted though.
    You wont see me much less remember me but i am the guy who makes you look good.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Newbie with couple of question here.

    Thanks alot guys. Seems like sensor cleaning on some cam is a 'gd to have' function and not a 'need to have' rite?

  8. #8

    Default Re: Newbie with couple of question here.

    TS - your flash prob, oks check what flash mode u are on.

    normal mode the flash will flash fire off at the shutter

    red eye mode the flash will fire multiple times low power b4 firing one strong burst at the shutter

    rear mode (AKA 2nd curtain) the flash will fire one weak burst at the shutter and one strong burst just b4 the shutter close ( depending on your shutter time, if u have a 1 sec shutter speed, u see the strong burst after awhile your shutter was press, if shutter is like 1/40 or een faster u cant really tell the diff)

    if u are in the correct mode, then as reportage said, your flash unit is charging. the flash take abt 1-2 sec to full recharge if the previous shot was a full blast.
    D80/D700 18-135/17-50/14-24/24-70/70-200/70-300/50/60 SB600/900

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Jurong West
    Posts
    164

    Default Re: Newbie with couple of question here.

    Quote Originally Posted by ChenGuy View Post
    Thanks alot guys. Seems like sensor cleaning on some cam is a 'gd to have' function and not a 'need to have' rite?
    So are you talking about cleaning the sensor physically or the self cleaning function found in canon EOS camera? (Not sure is nikon has it)

    Anything that does not contribute to taking picture directly is a good to have i guess. Still, the function will come in handy if you change your lens frequently, work in dusty environment etc and reduce the need to clean in physically.

  10. #10
    Moderator Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    12,392

    Default Re: Newbie with couple of question here.

    Quote Originally Posted by ChenGuy View Post
    1st. i am using a nikon d80, and when i am trying to use the built in flash, it pauses for a couple of sec after i depressed the shutter b4 it will flash tgt with my shutter. i have my lens focus le. Note: its not the 1st shot has been a couple of shots le

    2nd is there any adaptor to mount on my d80 so i can use canno lens too?

    3rd wad is metering? i tried using diff metering mode of my cam. but dun seems to make a difference to me. any idea why?

    4th nikon and canon. other den brand different what other benefit wud it have to own a canon. sorry if this is a stupid question.

    5th how can i clean my cam sensor? cos it seems like my friend cam it does auto sensor cleaning. is it useful?
    2. Why do you want to use Canon lens on Nikon body? There are plenty of Nikon lenses in the line-up. Beside this: you cannot mount any Canon lens. The mechanical and optical characteristics don't match.

    3. Found your manual? It's explained there. If that's not enough I suggest using Google searching for the Nikon-specific terms as described in your manual. Briefly: it's the way the camera judges the incoming light and sets the exposure parameters (ISO, shutter, aperture). Depending on your requirements there are different modes available.

    4. None. Owning a brand has never any advantages apart from ego boost. Owning a camera and understanding its functions and understanding light has the advantage of taking good pictures - finally with any camera.

    5. Auto-cleaning might shake off smaller and lose dust particles but has its limitations. Stubborn dust needs proper cleaning. Clean only when it's needed. Hands off if you have no clue about it, chances are good to damage something. Check with your Service center, it only costs a few bucks.

  11. #11

    Default Re: Newbie with couple of question here.

    Quote Originally Posted by Reportage View Post
    3. tells the camera how bright the target is...read up histogram.
    Should be reading up metering modes and not histogram.
    See my Photo Gallery at the Clubsnap

  12. #12

    Default Re: Newbie with couple of question here.

    Quote Originally Posted by nixontkl View Post
    TS - your flash prob, oks check what flash mode u are on.

    normal mode the flash will flash fire off at the shutter

    red eye mode the flash will fire multiple times low power b4 firing one strong burst at the shutter

    rear mode (AKA 2nd curtain) the flash will fire one weak burst at the shutter and one strong burst just b4 the shutter close ( depending on your shutter time, if u have a 1 sec shutter speed, u see the strong burst after awhile your shutter was press, if shutter is like 1/40 or een faster u cant really tell the diff)

    if u are in the correct mode, then as reportage said, your flash unit is charging. the flash take abt 1-2 sec to full recharge if the previous shot was a full blast.
    hey thanks all for the feedback and answers to my question.

    Reason why i wanna look for a mount to use cannon lens is bcos i have friends who are using canon lens, so i tot i cold borrow it to use. And as for my cam built in flash i seriously dunno wads wrong with it. for red eye reduction it nv fire of a few low power flash be4 a high powered flash. is it normal for D80?

  13. #13

    Default Re: Newbie with couple of question here.

    if you found an adapter that enables a canon lens to mount on nikon. pls tell us. i have not come across or heard any adapter capable of that.
    | An army of sheep led by a lion are more to be feared than an army of lions led by a sheep. |

  14. #14

    Default Re: Newbie with couple of question here.

    Quote Originally Posted by ChenGuy View Post
    And as for my cam built in flash i seriously dunno wads wrong with it. for red eye reduction it nv fire of a few low power flash be4 a high powered flash. is it normal for D80?
    Errr shouldnt be the case, under red eye reduction mode, the flash 100% will flash very quickly 2-4 rapid flash (by doing so, the rapid flash reduces the chances of the red eye effect on your subject) b4 it fire off the main flash that is suppose to illuminate your subject.
    D80/D700 18-135/17-50/14-24/24-70/70-200/70-300/50/60 SB600/900

  15. #15

    Default Re: Newbie with couple of question here.

    Quote Originally Posted by megaweb View Post
    Should be reading up metering modes and not histogram.
    because camera sensors can get "tricked" especially if doing events. The histogram is damn useful when used correctly.
    You wont see me much less remember me but i am the guy who makes you look good.

  16. #16

    Default Re: Newbie with couple of question here.

    Quote Originally Posted by Reportage View Post
    because camera sensors can get "tricked" especially if doing events. The histogram is damn useful when used correctly.
    yes, the histogram is going to be very useful in dslrs, because you realise you've screwed up the shot afterward.

    but it is an event, so you can't retake the moment! so very useful! oops i did it again!

  17. #17

    Default Re: Newbie with couple of question here.

    Quote Originally Posted by ChenGuy View Post

    1st. i am using a nikon d80, and when i am trying to use the built in flash, it pauses for a couple of sec after i depressed the shutter b4 it will flash tgt with my shutter. i have my lens focus le. Note: its not the 1st shot has been a couple of shots le

    2nd is there any adaptor to mount on my d80 so i can use canno lens too?

    3rd wad is metering? i tried using diff metering mode of my cam. but dun seems to make a difference to me. any idea why?

    4th nikon and canon. other den brand different what other benefit wud it have to own a canon. sorry if this is a stupid question.

    5th how can i clean my cam sensor? cos it seems like my friend cam it does auto sensor cleaning. is it useful?

    thanks in adv.
    1. your flash needs to charge. that is probably it.

    2. no.

    3. google is your best friend, srsly. cue "photography metering"

    4. no real bigger than life benefit, all brands are the same, just that each brand has its own pros and cons.

    5. google is your best friend. cue "sensor cleaning"

  18. #18

    Default Re: Newbie with couple of question here.

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    yes, the histogram is going to be very useful in dslrs, because you realise you've screwed up the shot afterward.

    but it is an event, so you can't retake the moment! so very useful! oops i did it again!
    thats the idea. Once realize the shot is screwed can immediately make changes to the camera settings for the upcoming moments.

    Its insurance compared to blindly just shoot and shoot with the belief that since metered using camera sensor, nothing will go wrong.



    I still have yet to see a photographer using incident metering during events such as performances though.
    Would be very interesting.
    Last edited by Reportage; 28th May 2009 at 06:45 AM.
    You wont see me much less remember me but i am the guy who makes you look good.

  19. #19

    Default Re: Newbie with couple of question here.

    Quote Originally Posted by Reportage View Post
    thats the idea. Once realize the shot is screwed can immediately make changes to the camera settings for the upcoming moments.

    Its insurance compared to blindly just shoot and shoot with the belief that since metered using camera sensor, nothing will go wrong.
    well, in the end, one should pay more attention to how the metering behaves, and think about how to go about compensating in future, it is not just about histogram fire and forget.

    unless one uses a prosumer of course, then there is a live histogram, and that is another story

  20. #20
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,523

    Default Re: Newbie with couple of question here.

    Quote Originally Posted by ChenGuy View Post
    Hi guys i am really new to photography and thus need u guys to help me out with a couple of question.

    1st. i am using a nikon d80, and when i am trying to use the built in flash, it pauses for a couple of sec after i depressed the shutter b4 it will flash tgt with my shutter. i have my lens focus le. Note: its not the 1st shot has been a couple of shots le

    2nd is there any adaptor to mount on my d80 so i can use canno lens too?

    3rd wad is metering? i tried using diff metering mode of my cam. but dun seems to make a difference to me. any idea why?

    4th nikon and canon. other den brand different what other benefit wud it have to own a canon. sorry if this is a stupid question.

    5th how can i clean my cam sensor? cos it seems like my friend cam it does auto sensor cleaning. is it useful?

    thanks in adv.
    Hi ChenGuy.
    I have quoted your original post, and in particular that sentence.
    Hopefully I've understood you correctly.
    You're saying that you:
    a) activate the pop-up flash
    b) achieve focus lock
    c) press the shutter release down fully
    d) wait 1 or 2 seconds whilst nothing seems to be happening
    e) see the flash fire off together with the sound of the shutter/mirror.

    Am I right to say that?
    If you had just fired off a shot immediately before this one, yes, I would say it's the flash charging up. If not, then it's certainly something strange.
    Maybe 2sec delay timer?

    to answer the rest of your questions:
    2) as many have answered, no known Canon lens to Nikon body adapter.
    3) metering is the measurement of the amount of light from a particular spot or region that you are trying to photograph. Knowing how to meter a scene correctly will prevent you having an over- or under-exposed photo.
    4) each brand has its own strengths and weaknesses. Some people prefer Canon. Some prefer Nikon. Since you have a D80, don't think about this issue. It certainly hasn't crossed my mind.
    5) There is a function to raise the mirror, so that you can see the sensor behind. Probably only safe to use a blower (even then you have to be careful) to try and remove any dust you see. If it's more stubborn than that, it would be wise to send it to the service centre for cleaning. Newer cameras do have the auto sensor cleaning, but they basically just 'shake' the sensor. Can't remove stubborn dust particles.
    Last edited by ZerocoolAstra; 28th May 2009 at 01:12 PM.
    Exploring! :)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •