Thread: Question regard K-7's Live View

Default Question regard K-7's Live View

Does Pentax K-7's live view works like Sony Alpha's live view, where you can focus and snap pictures direct from the LCD live view, rather than depending on the optical viewfinder? Can anyone let me know? Thanks!!!
    Pentax K100D Super

Default Re: Question regard K-7's Live View

All (current) live view implementations allow for focussing and snapping pictures direct from the LCD live view, without depending on the optical viewfinder.

However, except for Sony Quick Live View AF (or something like that) and one or two older Olympus bodies, the focussing speed is much slower than when using the optical viewfinder.

The K-7 is similar, and (based on current information) has a much slower focussing speed during live view than when using the optical viewfinder.

I'm of the opinion that if you need to use an LCD to compose pics, just get a P&S or bridge cam. Part of the reason for using an SLR is for the viewfinder. IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Erenon View Post
    I'm of the opinion that if you need to use an LCD to compose pics, just get a P&S or bridge cam. Part of the reason for using an SLR is for the viewfinder. IMO.
    Sometimes when composing a shot from a difficult perspective, i.e. low on the ground, or high, the Live view would be helpful.
    On some other occasions, family and friends may help you to take photos of yourself with others. If no Liveview, they may not know how to look through the optical viewfinder.

Quote Originally Posted by Erenon View Post
    I'm of the opinion that if you will only use an LCD to compose pics, just get a P&S or bridge cam. Part of the reason for using an SLR is for the viewfinder. IMO.
    Fixed that for you...

Edit: Although I'm not sure I agree with that either...
    Last edited by dnaxe; 26th May 2009 at 11:41 PM.

i always had problems composing grp photos with k100d if theres nobody else around to take and no tripod so i have to set it up on a chair/table/random piece of furniture, eg at house parties.

With k20d live view its much less of a problem, almost a godsend. although the shutter lag on it is really terror and it's quite a pain to adjust settings on tt half-baked implementation. K7 should be better i hope.

time and reviews will tell.

I wonder if the articulating lcd (pretty much the mainstay in Olympus and Sony lineup) is reserved for the K30D instead.
    You wont see me much less remember me but i am the guy who makes you look good.

it depends, live view MIGHT have uses for street photogrpahy and macro photography, other than what has been mentioned

Now we can use live view to shoot videos

Quote Originally Posted by fengwei View Post
    Now we can use live view to shoot videos
    any samples of video using K7 yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Reportage View Post
    any samples of video using K7 yet?
    Yeah, but only by pre-production version, not really for quality checking. 30fps HD w/ sound, that's pretty cool already, plus you can change aperture along the way, even Canon 5DII didn't have it (but Canon saw our K-7's capability, they just updated their firmware to make 5DII capable of this too ).

The 5dmk2 is 1080p...still have yet to know the K7 is 720p or 720i. the icing on the cake would be how smooth the K7 can zoom in and out while recording.