Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: advice for 17-35mm lens?

Quote Originally Posted by SzennyBoy
    There are times when walking is not an option... no room to go further back!!! Example of image (The Great Court in the British Museum) taken with the 17-35mm at 17mm focal length.

person at the bottom right corner seems distorted. is that what happens to wide angled lens? pardon my ignorance...

the only "WA" i have is a 16mm semi-fisheye, and everything's distorted :P

Quote Originally Posted by coke21
    what's the difference between sigma's and tokina's WA range?
    Cheesecake seems to have some gripes abt the lens

I guess the only way to find out is to go try them out myself !

Quote Originally Posted by kristlbel
    person at the bottom right corner seems distorted. is that what happens to wide angled lens? pardon my ignorance...

the only "WA" i have is a 16mm semi-fisheye, and everything's distorted :P
    What you get with your 16mm fisheye lens is barrel distortion and it appears as a curved distortion along the edges. On the 17-35mm lens (AFS), there is little or almost no barrel distortion. What you see in the pic, the people at the bottom right, is known as perspective distortion. This will always be present the moment you do not have the lens parallel to the subject and it happens with every lens. You only notice it when using wide angles, especially ultra-wide angles. This is the reason why it is always advised to keep the lens plane as vertical as possible on the wide angles.

The other option is to use something like my 28mm f/4 PC-Nikkor (effectively a architectural lens) which allows you to adjust/correct the final image perspective with the perspective control mechanism. The only problem with this is that you have to use the tripod - always!

What you get with your 16mm fisheye lens is barrel distortion and it appears as a curved distortion along the edges. On the 17-35mm lens (AFS), there is little or almost no barrel distortion. What you see in the pic, the people at the bottom right, is known as perspective distortion. This will always be present the moment you do not have the lens parallel to the subject and it happens with every lens. You only notice it when using wide angles, especially ultra-wide angles. This is the reason why it is always advised to keep the lens plane as vertical as possible on the wide angles.

The other option is to use something like my 28mm f/4 PC-Nikkor (effectively a architectural lens) which allows you to adjust/correct the final image perspective with the perspective control mechanism. The only problem with this is that you have to use the tripod - always!

Wah u mean the Nikkor AFS 17-35mm lens got almost no barrel distortion...... phew... I wonder how they do it...... 17mm already very wide..... thought barrel distortion is inevitable at this kind of focal length...

Quote Originally Posted by TME
    I wonder how they do it...... 17mm already very wide..... thought barrel distortion is inevitable at this kind of focal length...
    That's one of the reasons why this lens is almost 3 times the price of its consumer equivalent - the 18-35mm! It's got to do with the lens element design.

That's one of the reasons why this lens is almost 3 times the price of its consumer equivalent - the 18-35mm! It's got to do with the lens element design.

For Nikon only 3 times meh? For Minolta is lagi like 5 times! My Sigma 17-35 costs $700+ new, but the original Minolta 17-35mm G lens cost $3300!!!

here you go,

AF 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5D IF-ED, SRP: S$1120
    AF-S 17-35mm f/2.8D IF-ED, SRP: S$3600

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesecake
    the latest from Cathay Photo...

Nikon AF 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5D IF-ED @ S$854.00
    before GST.
    This is the street price, typically 20% off from the SRP, the ones I posted is the SRP, ie Suggested Retail Price by Nikon Singapore.

Quote Originally Posted by AJ23
    This is the street price, typically 20% off from the SRP, the ones I posted is the SRP, ie Suggested Retail Price by Nikon Singapore.
    Either that or you can try to get a second hand one. Think both lenses have been sold here before. I got the 18-35mm for ard $680.

yup! i read ur SRP... haha

but really expensive even at S$800++.
    really is paying for quality!

needless to say... the AF-S 17-35mm f/2.8D IF-ED, i can carry on dreaming...
    haha
    Just my 2 cents worth.. When it comes to WA lens, no point skimping on budget, most of the time you'll be disappointed with the results. With telephoto lens, most of the time you'll be doing crops to "fill" the frame. But with WA, you won't be doing much cropping (thats the point if WA right? to get as much in the frame as possible?) With a budget WA lens, you'll probably get blur and CA at the edges and end up having to crop.

Quote Originally Posted by cheesypoofs
    Just my 2 cents worth.. When it comes to WA lens, no point skimping on budget, most of the time you'll be disappointed with the results. With telephoto lens, most of the time you'll be doing crops to "fill" the frame. But with WA, you won't be doing much cropping (thats the point if WA right? to get as much in the frame as possible?) With a budget WA lens, you'll probably get blur and CA at the edges and end up having to crop.
    If u dun blow up very large I think okie lor......... unless u insist on viewing 100% all the time or develop prints to >S8R lor....... no money got to make do lor..........

Quote Originally Posted by cheesypoofs

yup.

but the Tokina lens is pretty good though.
    You'll Never Walk Alone! - i have the best job in the world!

hello all,

i got back the results for the 12shots taken with the Tokina AF19-35 f3.5-4.5.

i come to the conclusion that shooting with a lens hood is recommended. it seems to flare easily at widest 19mm. i noticed a marked improvement from around 24mm.

distortion is noticable in 19mm to around 24mm. but gradually improves at around 24mm.

vignetting is a headache. using the Cokin P series holder is very challenging at 19mm. might have to use sticky tapes or blu-tack to use Cokin P series filters on this lens. vignetting is evident with the Cokin holder. but as u zoom to a closer angle, the vignetting is lesser.

thus, maybe when choosing a protective filter, one has to get a specially made 'thin filter' in case u might complain of obvious vignetting at widest angle.

didn't try it with other screw-on filters as i don't own any of them. thus, can't reall confirm if vignetting will be much worse if a screw-on Circular Polariser is used. my bet is that it will give u a headache.

the images are all sharp(surprised?) and it AF pretty fast on my F80.

what do i think about the price tag?
    i think the price is really attractive. S$388 with 'free gifts' thrown in such as a monopod and the all important lens hood for this lens is not a bad deal, though i hope it will be cheaper if i want the lens hood only and return the rest of the 'free gifts'... haha

it is really ideal for snapshooters like me who occasionally might need wide angle lenses that can zoom(maybe due to space constriants) and still gives 'ok' results. sure, the resulting photographs taken with this lens pales in comparison to the Tokina AF20-35 f2.8 or Nikon's Nikkor AF18-35 f3.5-4.5 (of course) but at the price of S$388(it could be way cheaper, i believe), i'm happy with the results.

so if u're on a budget and perhaps think that u might need a wide angle zoom lens that is affordable and gives 'ok' resultant photographs, then try this lens urself at Cathay Photo or at ur preferred shop(s) and see the results for urself.

the above are my own experiences with the Tokina AF19-35 f3.5-4.5 lens taken with Nikon F80 and S2Pro at Cathay Photo. this is to be taken as a guide only and for best results, potential buyers should test out the lens themselves.

if anyone has any idea or news on where to get this lens at an even lower price, pls donot hesistate to update us. thank you!

regards,
    cheesy

Thanks for your insight maybe you could post some of the pictures taking with the tokina lens for us to see?

vignetting is a headache. using the Cokin P series holder is very challenging at 19mm. might have to use sticky tapes or blu-tack to use Cokin P series filters on this lens. vignetting is evident with the Cokin holder. but as u zoom to a closer angle, the vignetting is lesser.

thus, maybe when choosing a protective filter, one has to get a specially made 'thin filter' in case u might complain of obvious vignetting at widest angle.

didn't try it with other screw-on filters as i don't own any of them. thus, can't reall confirm if vignetting will be much worse if a screw-on Circular Polariser is used. my bet is that it will give u a headache.
    I'm pretty sure that with any lens 20mm or wider you will need to use slim filters so that they don't cause vignetting. You should not stack your filters either (most of the slim filters don't even have a front thread). I do know that Lee filter holders do have a recessed adapter that holds the filters closer to the lens - you might want to check if Cokin offers a similar adapter.

Quote Originally Posted by deepict
    I'm pretty sure that with any lens 20mm or wider you will need to use slim filters so that they don't cause vignetting. You should not stack your filters either (most of the slim filters don't even have a front thread). I do know that Lee filter holders do have a recessed adapter that holds the filters closer to the lens - you might want to check if Cokin offers a similar adapter.

I'm using an ordinary thickness UV filter on my Sigma 17-35mm. So far no vignetting at all surprisingly, but I hve not tried stacking any filters..... my Tamron 24-135 vignettes at the wide end when I stack a circ pol over the UV filter....

Quote Originally Posted by kristlbel
    Thanks for your insight maybe you could post some of the pictures taking with the tokina lens for us to see?
    hi kristlbel,

sorry to keep u waiting. i finally got the negatives scanned at a lab and have posted the results HERE.

share ur thoughts with us.

rgds,
    cheesy

hi kristlbel,

sorry to keep u waiting. i finally got the negatives scanned at a lab and have posted the results HERE.

share ur thoughts with us.

rgds,
    cheesy
    I notice that u did not take any shots wide at 19mm which filled the entire frame. I think distortion may be significant if u took a group photo with people at the edges at 19mm, f/5.6. The shots u posted dun have straight edges at the edge of the frame, so can't really tell if the distortion is there or not to the untrained eye like mine...... or maybe the distortion is so slight we can't see it.......

most of ur shots r perspective error rather than distortion..

to test for distortion, u shld align the sides of ur frame to a straight line or building at either widest (for barrel distortion), or fully zoom in (for pincushion)..
    barrel distortion will curve outwards while pincushion curves inwards..

ok ok my fault guys.

i've edited the postings so as not to mislead anyone else.
    thanks for sharing!

this shows that i've alot more to learn!

cheers
    Last edited by Cheesecake; 29th November 2003 at 12:09 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12