Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: storage of my DSLR

Default Re: storage of my DSLR

Air tight box with silicon powder is the cheapest i think but dry cabi is very easy to use and less troublesome cause u need to change silicon powder regular in weather of Singapore...
    I do not recommend this as it is very tiring to keep changing the silicon.Also may turn out to be more expensive than a dry cabinet as Silicon ain't cheap.

hey guys, how do you place your camera in your dryboxes?
    i normally leave mine lying at an angle where the lens and body both contact the base of the drybox.
    is this bad? does it put any pressure on the lens joint?
    D3s - (24-70 f/2.8)
    D700 - (14-24 f/2.8)

Quote Originally Posted by screambitch View Post
    i normally leave mine lying at an angle where the lens and body both contact the base of the drybox.
    is this bad? does it put any pressure on the lens joint?
    ya loh! i also wannt know how to position the camera... when i first got my DSLR. i place is lens facing down to the bottom of the camera bag and the body is at the top. then my friend told me it is not a good idea as it will apply pressure on the lens may "hurt" the lens because my bag is not designed to hold it that way. after that i kept it with the body and lens touching the bottom.

btw my camera bag looks like normal sling bag then big big de. not like the single lens camera bag which only used to carry one lens with the body attached. that one i know can face it down as there are support at the bag on the body of the camera.

Quote Originally Posted by junhua90 View Post
    ya loh! i also wannt know how to position the camera... when i first got my DSLR. i place is lens facing down to the bottom of the camera bag and the body is at the top. then my friend told me it is not a good idea as it will apply pressure on the lens may "hurt" the lens because my bag is not designed to hold it that way. after that i kept it with the body and lens touching the bottom.

btw my camera bag looks like normal sling bag then big big de. not like the single lens camera bag which only used to carry one lens with the body attached. that one i know can face it down as there are support at the bag on the body of the camera.
    yeah my bag is the normal sling bag too. got it with my D300.
    i keep mine in the bag such that when i open up the bag i have immediate access to the grip portion of the camera. i leave it on its side. i'll take a picture later to illustrate.
    D3s - (24-70 f/2.8)
    D700 - (14-24 f/2.8)

i guess there really is no hard and fast rule here. you can't exactly say placing lens facing down is wrong, because it depends on the shape of your bag. in fact most bags are design to hold your cam/lens with lens facing down. i can't picture a normal body with lets say a 70-200mm both being placed with body and lens touching the bottom. and similarly if u turn it the other way round, body below and lens on top, you also run the risk of getting your lcd damaged at the bottom.

In the bag, put it face down to save space. However, this will put excess pressure on the zoom lens and may cause zoom creep. Hence whenever possible (e.g. back home), take it out and put horizontal.

Quote Originally Posted by thotshouse View Post
    In the bag, put it face down to save space. However, this will put excess pressure on the zoom lens and may cause zoom creep. Hence whenever possible (e.g. back home), take it out and put horizontal.
    Zoom creep is not caused by pressure on the lens.

Zoom creep is merely the loosening of the lens zoom mechanism.

Quote Originally Posted by screambitch View Post
    i normally leave mine lying at an angle where the lens and body both contact the base of the drybox. is this bad? does it put any pressure on the lens joint?
    The camera is not made of sugar cotton. You can mount a big 500mm gun on your camera, the mount is designed to hold it. Just put the camera in the cabinet in the same way as you can see it displayed in shops and photographed on hundreds of review websites.

how big is a 30L dry cabinet? can compare something to let me imagine how big is that?

what is usually stored inside btw? lens, body and anyhting else?
    My 30L currently holds the following:
    1. EOS 500D
    2. EOS 300D
    3. Panasoc FZ-5
    4. 18-55 IS lens
    5. 18-55 II lens (from 300D)
    6. 55-250 IS lens
    7. 55-200 II USM lens
    8. 2x lens hoods (for 55-200 / 55-250 IS)

Probably can squeeze in either 1 more lens or hood or flash unit, but that's pushing it. Not sure if I can squeeze in an "L" lens, probably not.....

Remember to remove the camera neck-strap before you put it into the cabinet cos the strap absorbs sweat and putting it into the cabinet is a no-no.

Hmm,

perhaps a cheap alternative is to buy air-sealed boxes i.e. Lock&lock and buy some silica gel.

Cheap and effective method :X

But of course the best is still the dry cabin.

Cowz.
    Olympus E-3: ZD 12-60mm F2.8-4 SWD|ZD 40-150mm F3.5-4.5|OM 50mm F1.4
    My Faith is my shield

erm... maybe i will upload a photo to show how my current placing of my camera and should be able to know what i meant.. i cant post it now.. as im in some school camp. i will post the picture once i reach home.. probably a few days later

Hi,
    Two months before rcvd digi cab 30 lits dry cabinet @ 120.
    Found very usefull and no worries ,
    It's working very good. I tried max setting can go upto 30. (I set to 40-50 and kept my gears inside).

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123