Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which DSLR (For Gift)

Default Which DSLR (For Gift)

Hey guys, I need ur kind advice on which DSLR for a gift. My younger bro is hitting his 21st this coming July and one of my auntie is thinking of getting him a DSLR . My younger bro is currently using a 350D which was passed down to him from my Dad. He is pretty good in photography and he has a keen interest in wedding/events photography. Was at some electronics fair last evening and tested the Nikon D90. My bro and I are Canon users thus felt the handling was quite different. However, I know he is looking at a few models, namely the Canon 500d, 50D and Nikon D90. Just like to know if any of u had any problems when u switch systems Eg : not used to the handling. Another thing is, The Nikon really looks kinda attractive with many gd reviews, however, one thing is, it is made in Thailand. Pls kindly advise

Default Re: Which DSLR (For Gift)

Does your younger brother need a new DSLR body? What limitations is he facing with the existing body? Does your family already have a range of Canon lenses? If you look outside of Canon, i.e. Nikon, you would not be able to share lenses easily in the future.

If he's keen in wedding/events photography, he probably needs an external flash, so do budget that in. E.g. the Nikon SB-900 cost around $650 and the Nikon SB-600 around $375.

Quote Originally Posted by kultchris View Post
    Hey guys, I need ur kind advice on which DSLR for a gift. My younger bro is hitting his 21st this coming July and one of my auntie is thinking of getting him a DSLR . My younger bro is currently using a 350D which was passed down to him from my Dad. He is pretty good in photography and he has a keen interest in wedding/events photography. Was at some electronics fair last evening and tested the Nikon D90. My bro and I are Canon users thus felt the handling was quite different. However, I know he is looking at a few models, namely the Canon 500d, 50D and Nikon D90. Just like to know if any of u had any problems when u switch systems Eg : not used to the handling. Another thing is, The Nikon really looks kinda attractive with many gd reviews, however, one thing is, it is made in Thailand. Pls kindly advise
    hi, there is completely no diff for a product which is make from Thailand or make in japan. if the one make in thailand can last for longer without giving problems i am sure you will not have issue with that, don't you ?

anyway both EOS500D and Nikon D90 is good camera, you might want to choose the D90 if you see the overall handling is better.

Since you guys are already Canon users, why not just stick to Canon.

nikon d3!!!!!!!!

Cannot, wait auntie Brankrupt how?... cannot cannot...

(se-ka-li 'auntie' is the type of indonesian tai tai tat drives an automatic Ferrari & have a collection of Hermes Birkin handbags (at least $10K each) that kind...)

hey guys thanks for all the replies, suggestions. I used to own a 400D but I sold it off as i seldom used it. My bro has a 350D with 18-55IS lens. Actually the Nikon D90 was recommended by one of my fren. I am just worried the overall usage will be quite different as compared to Canon . Not trying trying to start any brand war here just like to know ig u guys have any experience/ prob when u switch from one brand to another. I have read certain reviews online but still not quite sure which I should pick .

eh anyway think if flash etc he can buy himself. Just need to get him a body a lens. Just like to hear u guys opinions. Thanks

hey guys thanks for all the replies, suggestions. I used to own a 400D but I sold it off as i seldom used it. My bro has a 350D with 18-55IS lens. Actually the Nikon D90 was recommended by one of my fren. I am just worried the overall usage will be quite different as compared to Canon . Not trying trying to start any brand war here just like to know ig u guys have any experience/ prob when u switch from one brand to another. I have read certain reviews online but still not quite sure which I should pick .
    there is no prob switching brands lah.....i have shot with both canon and nikon before, you just get used to the diff handling of the cams.

Since he doesn't have a build up of lenses and other accessories yet, it's not too hard to change right now.

Most important is whether he likes the handling or not... as well as the functions.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

Thanks for all the suggestions/advice guys !

I tried the D90 yesterday, sad to say I can't get used to operating it(no offense to Nikon users), but IMO I feel more comfortable with a Canon. Why don't you let your brother try cameras from both brands out before committing to a purchase? Since he only has a kit lens so far, there should be no barriers prohibiting you from switching over if need be.

Oh, and happy birthday to your brother.

Quote Originally Posted by Cartman2000 View Post
    I tried the D90 yesterday, sad to say I can't get used to operating it(no offense to Nikon users), but IMO I feel more comfortable with a Canon. Why don't you let your brother try cameras from both brands out before committing to a purchase? Since he only has a kit lens so far, there should be no barriers prohibiting you from switching over if need be.

Oh, and happy birthday to your brother.
    I agree with Cartman 2000, that you should let your brother test out the cameras first before settling to buy for him. The person behind the camera must be comfortable with the body and lens, else there's no point in buying .

We actually went to feel the D90 yesterday, felt kinda awkward as we were both not used to the D90 handling . However, I dunno is this just cos its the first time we held a Nikon camera . The D90 seems to be getting better reviews as compared to the 500D though. So kinda very confused. The Canon 500D is considered more of a entry level cam. As my bro alr had a entry level cam right now, I dunno if it would be wise to purchase another entry level cam as his bdae gift .

500D and D90 can both be considered mid-range cameras. Truth be told, 500D ain't bad. It's basically a downsized version of the 50D with slightly poorer features(poorer AF, slower FPS..)

We actually went to feel the D90 yesterday, felt kinda awkward as we were both not used to the D90 handling . However, I dunno is this just cos its the first time we held a Nikon camera . The D90 seems to be getting better reviews as compared to the 500D though. So kinda very confused. The Canon 500D is considered more of a entry level cam. As my bro alr had a entry level cam right now, I dunno if it would be wise to purchase another entry level cam as his bdae gift .
    Reviews are just serving as a reference guide.

It takes a while to get used to it as you're used to a different handling. And as mentioned, reviews are there to guide only.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

is the camera that picks the user...1st impression matters but do find out more about the functions before committing to a purchase.
    Last edited by Simon_84; 26th May 2009 at 11:09 AM.

Blog Entries

since he is already on the canon system and cannot get used to the nikon ergonomics

then get a 50D

if you are willing to switch systems then the nikon D300 or D90

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast