Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Max Shutter Count?

Default Re: Max Shutter Count?

i have colleagues using 1D II from 5 years ago, shooting daily (200-300 shots a day), and none of the bodies have failed before.

my 6yr old 300D has reached around 80k shutter counts and it's still going strong
    eat. drink. shoot

I'm the third user of a pro body that was first released in 2004. My shutter count is only around 66k without any replacements before this.

Deregistered

up to a certain count, need to service right? like the sensor not sensitive anymore

Quote Originally Posted by Agenda View Post
    up to a certain count, need to service right? like the sensor not sensitive anymore
    SENSOR?

shutter la

I think you worry too much... I will send it for service, if I notice some problem with the camera. However, if the warranty provide free sensor cleaning, then I may just send in for sensor cleaning (at least once) before the warranty expire.

it all depends..just like how some cars die after months, while others can last more than 10years
    eat. drink. shoot

I really really really really really think you have been misled. When the shutter dies, it does not function anymore. What has it got to do with the sensor?

Quote Originally Posted by calebk View Post
    I really really really really really think you have been misled. When the shutter dies, it does not function anymore. What has it got to do with the sensor?
    maybe he think shutter and sensor is the same thing?
    Life is like Photography, to improve, you have to keep shooting!

Quote Originally Posted by egnaro View Post
    I think, he is worry about the life-span of the shutter blade.

For some stuff, like "button" or keyboard, after some period of usage the rubber, spring or some component of it may wear off and lose its "sensitivity". The reason is due to the "movable" parts have a life-span.

For dSLR's sensor, it senses lights. There no "physical" contact between the sensor and the lights and no movable parts there. Unless, sensor is damage, rusty or due fungus, otherwise I can't understand how it would be less sensitive after a period of usage. It may collect dust and lose its "sensitivity", but I think, before it reach that stage, we would have sent it for servicing or sensor cleaning (unless the camera body is in a dusty location and not use for years).

For shutter blade, since is a movable part, then it has life-span. However, I have seen pro using old camera body (discontinued and no warranty, if I check the manufacturer date, is at least 3 years or more), and some bro also had replied and confirmed that camera can last that long even exceed the "expected" life-span. I think TS is overly concern about something that many don't really cares.

So bro Agenda, don't worry lah. If it really broke (unless is a faulty camera body), it would happen years from now. By then, you would get a brand new camera body than to send it for servicing (since, by that time, new technology would give you better options). Chances are, you would get a new camera body before it breaks.

Quote Originally Posted by egnaro View Post
    No la, i think he is just quoting sensor as an example, what he wants to know is will the shutter need servicing after certain count.
    Live to Ride, Ride to Live

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    i shoot quite regularly, just passed 20k..... for... 1 year?
    Exactly... So you're looking at five years, by that time you'll have switched to Sony.
    Alpha

The shutter lifespan count is nothing but a figure. I have a pro body that was released in 2004. I'm the 3rd owner, 1st was a journalist and the 2nd was travelling amateur. The shutter died at an amazing low count of 43k, even thought it was rated at 100k.

My guess is that the previous owners used the camera as a machine gun.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12