Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 36

Thread: Question - Electricity power points at underground carparks?

  1. #1
    Member iamryansaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    London, United Kingdom
    Posts
    452

    Default Question - Electricity power points at underground carparks?

    Hello people.

    Here's a question. Are there usually electricity power points at underground carparks? Like condos for example.

    I'm thinking of venues to shoot a band's press kit and i need power for my basic set of lights.

  2. #2

    Default Re: Question - Electricity power points at underground carparks?

    Since you would probably need permission to shoot at such locations anyways, check with the condo management? Unless you're going in guerilla style ... then do area recce first.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    East of Singapore
    Posts
    1,750

    Default Re: Question - Electricity power points at underground carparks?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dream Merchant View Post
    Since you would probably need permission to shoot at such locations anyways, check with the condo management? Unless you're going in guerilla style ... then do area recce first.
    Bro, if you do guerilla style, the management can still stop you during the shoot and you can't use the images shot until they give you the go ahead better to get permission first
    I get paid more shooting part time ...... damn, I should find more time to shoot part time

  4. #4

    Default Re: Question - Electricity power points at underground carparks?

    Generally in public car park, there will be electrical power socket but they are under lock and key. You need to find ways to get them to unloack for you.

    On the other hand, most of the condo car park will have free power socket that are available for resident to use like vacuming the car.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Clementi
    Posts
    10,596

    Default Re: Question - Electricity power points at underground carparks?

    When my school shot a short film, we did it in a public car park. We also rented a generator, as there are no power mains sockets available for public use.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Question - Electricity power points at underground carparks?

    won't the generator's noise get in the way of your filming?

    silent film ah?

    mobile gen set usually has two banes, noise and smoke.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Question - Electricity power points at underground carparks?

    Quote Originally Posted by yqt View Post
    Bro, if you do guerilla style, the management can still stop you during the shoot and you can't use the images shot until they give you the go ahead better to get permission first
    Sounds like good advise.

    Hope TS finds what he's looking for.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Clementi
    Posts
    10,596

    Default Re: Question - Electricity power points at underground carparks?

    Quote Originally Posted by clioboy View Post
    won't the generator's noise get in the way of your filming?

    silent film ah?

    mobile gen set usually has two banes, noise and smoke.
    Generator placed in a stairwell further away. We ran cables out from there to our "set".

  9. #9

    Default Re: Question - Electricity power points at underground carparks?

    Quote Originally Posted by calebk View Post
    Generator placed in a stairwell further away. We ran cables out from there to our "set".
    u r right, I'd seen some student shooting video in an open HDB car park at nite, and they place their generator far away and covered with some carpet or rag to dampen the noise.

    even the police cannot enter private property unless they is a report of crime case, so beware.

  10. #10
    Senior Member +evenstar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Singapore / United Kingdom
    Posts
    5,655

    Default Re: Question - Electricity power points at underground carparks?

    Quote Originally Posted by cabbySHE View Post
    even the police cannot enter private property unless they is a report of crime case, so beware.
    the police also not so free to enter prv property when there's no crime committed
    eat. drink. shoot

  11. #11

    Default Re: Question - Electricity power points at underground carparks?

    Quote Originally Posted by +evenstar View Post
    the police also not so free to enter prv property when there's no crime committed
    they will come when someone report that there are strangers in their car park.

  12. #12
    Senior Member +evenstar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Singapore / United Kingdom
    Posts
    5,655

    Default Re: Question - Electricity power points at underground carparks?

    Quote Originally Posted by cabbySHE View Post
    they will come when someone report that there are strangers in their car park.
    that's exactly what i said isn't it?

    they'll only come when called. strangers in a prv carpark means they can be considered trespassers, and the police will deal with such people
    eat. drink. shoot

  13. #13
    vince123123
    Guests

    Default Re: Question - Electricity power points at underground carparks?

    Just to correct a small legal point.

    It is my view that the management has no legal right to stop you from doing as you please with the images but you may be facing some criminal trespass suits if they want to be funny with you or pressure you.

    Quote Originally Posted by yqt View Post
    Bro, if you do guerilla style, the management can still stop you during the shoot and you can't use the images shot until they give you the go ahead better to get permission first

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    East of Singapore
    Posts
    1,750

    Default Re: Question - Electricity power points at underground carparks?

    Just my 2 cts

    Quote Originally Posted by +evenstar View Post
    that's exactly what i said isn't it?

    they'll only come when called. strangers in a prv carpark means they can be considered trespassers, and the police will deal with such people
    Police will ask you to contact your own security or management, for private estate, if they can don't come, they will not come .

    Quote Originally Posted by vince123123 View Post
    Just to correct a small legal point.

    It is my view that the management has no legal right to stop you from doing as you please with the images but you may be facing some criminal trespass suits if they want to be funny with you or pressure you.
    If the management wants to take action, it will be against the unit owner concern for breaching the by laws. In some cases, it end up in the Strata Courts .
    Last edited by yqt; 29th May 2009 at 02:23 PM.
    I get paid more shooting part time ...... damn, I should find more time to shoot part time

  15. #15
    vince123123
    Guests

    Default Re: Question - Electricity power points at underground carparks?

    Yah, but all of these by laws and breach of actions will not result in compelling or injuncting the use of photographs.

    Quote Originally Posted by yqt View Post
    If the management wants to take action, it will be against the unit owner concern for breaching the by laws. In some cases, it end up in the Strata Courts .

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    East of Singapore
    Posts
    1,750

    Default Re: Question - Electricity power points at underground carparks?

    Quote Originally Posted by vince123123 View Post
    Yah, but all of these by laws and breach of actions will not result in compelling or injuncting the use of photographs.
    Depands on which side of the coin you look at it.

    you shoot for commericial purpose, management said don't use.
    you don't use, no problem n likely to be end of the story.
    If you use, management can bring you to Strata Court for breach of their by laws.

    Compelling enough? the shooter/resident will have to decide.
    Injunction? It's up to the Strata Court to decide.

    There is a difference in shooting for pleasure and shooting for gain.
    I get paid more shooting part time ...... damn, I should find more time to shoot part time

  17. #17
    vince123123
    Guests

    Default Re: Question - Electricity power points at underground carparks?

    Uh just to clarify, when you say "by laws", what are you talkign about? As far as I'm aware, condo managers have no legal powers to create "by laws".

    Are you referring to internal terms and conditions of stay that each resident has to abide by?

    If so, they are no different from the "company policies" that are made by shopping mall owners. And we have already been through that before that they have no right to ask anyone to not use photographs taken.

    And what "Strata Court" are you referring to? I am not aware that there is such thing as a "Strata Court".

    I don't see a legal difference in cause of action whether the photos are for personal use or for commerical gain. The maangement may feel more incensed and more likely to pursue the matter if it is commercial, however I don't see any difference as far as establishing a cause of action is concerned.

    Perhaps you can share more details with us if you have had personal experience on these issues so we can discuss them together.

    Quote Originally Posted by yqt View Post
    Depands on which side of the coin you look at it.

    you shoot for commericial purpose, management said don't use.
    you don't use, no problem n likely to be end of the story.
    If you use, management can bring you to Strata Court for breach of their by laws.

    Compelling enough? the shooter/resident will have to decide.
    Injunction? It's up to the Strata Court to decide.

    There is a difference in shooting for pleasure and shooting for gain.

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    East of Singapore
    Posts
    1,750

    Default Re: Question - Electricity power points at underground carparks?

    Quote Originally Posted by vince123123 View Post
    Uh just to clarify, when you say "by laws", what are you talkign about? As far as I'm aware, condo managers have no legal powers to create "by laws".

    Are you referring to internal terms and conditions of stay that each resident has to abide by?

    If so, they are no different from the "company policies" that are made by shopping mall owners. And we have already been through that before that they have no right to ask anyone to not use photographs taken.

    And what "Strata Court" are you referring to? I am not aware that there is such thing as a "Strata Court".

    I don't see a legal difference in cause of action whether the photos are for personal use or for commerical gain. The maangement may feel more incensed and more likely to pursue the matter if it is commercial, however I don't see any difference as far as establishing a cause of action is concerned.

    Perhaps you can share more details with us if you have had personal experience on these issues so we can discuss them together.
    OK will try to do a quick one before I get down to work.

    Yes, the by laws I'm refering to are the "internal terms and conditions" of stay that each resident has to abide by but they are different from a company policy. Company policies are created by companines and enacted within the company without being "registered" with any stat. board while condo by-laws are registered with the Land Title Strata Board and are enforcable under the Land Title Strata Act.

    The difference between an act for personal/recreational purpose and commericial purpose in the common area is different as almost all by laws states that all common property not designated as a commericial area must not be use for commericial purpose unless with the written approval of the management. Even how the management can give approval, ie: term lease for a shop, is governed by the Act, it may need approval from the general body and is subjected to approval from gov. bodies.

    OK, got to go, got tons of work to do.
    I get paid more shooting part time ...... damn, I should find more time to shoot part time

  19. #19
    vince123123
    Guests

    Default Re: Question - Electricity power points at underground carparks?

    Thanks for the additional details - that has enabled me to do a bit more checking up and at the same time, correct some parts of my understanding which may be previously incorrect.

    These "by-laws" that you refer to; aren't they only binding upon the "subsidiary proprietor, mortgagee in possession, lessee or occupier". So long as the photographer isn't any of these people, these by-laws will not be applicable to him nor can they be enforced against him.

    Further discussion will be appreciated.


    Quote Originally Posted by yqt View Post
    OK will try to do a quick one before I get down to work.

    Yes, the by laws I'm refering to are the "internal terms and conditions" of stay that each resident has to abide by but they are different from a company policy. Company policies are created by companines and enacted within the company without being "registered" with any stat. board while condo by-laws are registered with the Land Title Strata Board and are enforcable under the Land Title Strata Act.

    The difference between an act for personal/recreational purpose and commericial purpose in the common area is different as almost all by laws states that all common property not designated as a commericial area must not be use for commericial purpose unless with the written approval of the management. Even how the management can give approval, ie: term lease for a shop, is governed by the Act, it may need approval from the general body and is subjected to approval from gov. bodies.

    OK, got to go, got tons of work to do.

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    East of Singapore
    Posts
    1,750

    Default Re: Question - Electricity power points at underground carparks?

    Quote Originally Posted by vince123123 View Post
    Thanks for the additional details - that has enabled me to do a bit more checking up and at the same time, correct some parts of my understanding which may be previously incorrect.

    These "by-laws" that you refer to; aren't they only binding upon the "subsidiary proprietor, mortgagee in possession, lessee or occupier". So long as the photographer isn't any of these people, these by-laws will not be applicable to him nor can they be enforced against him.

    Further discussion will be appreciated.

    Quote Originally Posted by yqt View Post

    If the management wants to take action, it will be against the unit owner concern for breaching the by laws. In some cases, it end up in the Strata Courts .
    You are right, and that's the reason for post #14 ( above quote ).

    Anyone who comes into a private estate is hosted by a resident and the resident have to be responsible for their guest's actions/behivour.
    I get paid more shooting part time ...... damn, I should find more time to shoot part time

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •