Thread: First light

Default First light

Went to Changi boardwalk this morning for sunrise. I am new to HDR, I acquired 7 images with diff exposures, Merged them with PS (don't have photomatix).
    Criticisms and helps needed in:
    1. Is this HDR overly done? Does it look natural to u?
    2. Any suggestion for the wooden pillar at the front left, thinking to crop it off, but doing thatwill lost most of the reflection in the water.
    3. Anyway to further improve this image?

Thanks for your time.

For other images, please click here

Default Re: First light

You do have a nice image here and if you had not mentioned, I would not had known it was HDR generated. Kudo on that.
    I like the serenity that this photo exudes and also like how the
    lamp post anchored the left of the frame with the walkway leading the eyes nicely into the scene.

However, I find that saturation is a tad overdone and if you had waited a bit longer for the lights to come up over the horizon, it would had made for a more dramatic sunrise.

Quote Originally Posted by Bcool View Post
    I would not had known it was HDR generated. Kudo on that.
    agree on that. (:

it made me have the feeling of calm.
    PortFolio
    the best camera is the camera that is with you; A200/500/33 (:

1. overall fine, the only problem is haloing on the frontmost pole, it is faint but there, and will stand out if you print the picture

2. nothing you can do, but next time go forward and compose without

3. correct the vertical distortion here, and it will be better. i would also lose the mass of trees on the right

[QUOTE=jtsky;5120981]Went to Changi boardwalk this morning for sunrise. I am new to HDR, I acquired 7 images with diff exposures, Merged them with PS (don't have photomatix).
    Criticisms and helps needed in:

1. Is this HDR overly done? Does it look natural to u?

None of the cartoonish colours usually found in HDR images which is good. Watch out for the halo around the lamp though.

2. Any suggestion for the wooden pillar at the front left, thinking to crop it off, but doing thatwill lost most of the reflection in the water.

It's a distraction but cropping it out would disturb the balance too much. Leave it as it is.

3. Anyway to further improve this image?

i) Level the horizon, its sloping towards the right.
    ii) Crop out the trees at the right as they don't contribute to the image.
    iii) If u'r thinking of re-shooting this image, step more towards the left so the platform can be used to lead the viewer's eye into the image. Here, i feel like i'm floating somewhere between the railing and the water. Not a very comfortable feeling.
    iv) When shooting landscapes such as this, think of what to place ur emphasis on, the water or the sky. Here, i'd say the sky is more interesting than the water so i'd emphasise it more. I'd use the ratio of sky to water (2:1). Here, ur ratio is about 3:2, so it's kinda close enough but not quite.

Overall, i like the peaceful mood conveyed throughout ur image. Nice shot! Do keep up the good work.

Thanks for ur comments and tips. I am happy that serenity have been acheived in the image. I will crop off the mass of trees on the left right, as for the pole, revisit and compose better next time is the only way. I recheck the horizon, it seems OK as I had adjusted, it looks tilted to the right possibly due to mass of trees.

Thanks for ur time.

Quote Originally Posted by jtsky View Post
    I recheck the horizon, it seems OK as I had adjusted, it looks tilted to the right possibly due to mass of trees.

Thanks for ur time.
    to be hoenst, i am anal about horizons, but the horizon is not prominent here, i would care more about the verticals of the lampposts, but of course if you can correct both without affecting yoru composition too much, go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    to be hoenst, i am anal about horizons, but the horizon is not prominent here, i would care more about the verticals of the lampposts, but of course if you can correct both without affecting yoru composition too much, go for it.
    Thanks, points noted.

A tip to say bye-bye to slanting horizon, ( my usual workflow ).

File open in photoshop. Go to window get Ruler.

Use move tool to pull down a horizontal clear guide ( mine in turquoise colour ), and or left to bring out a vertical guide. Move the guide close or next to your horizon, any slant...
    Go image...image rotation..use artbitary and fine tune, compose and crop. Simple.

sometime, when using a wide angle lens, the horizontal might be in perfect level, camera set on tripod with level setting, but becos lens is slightly tilt up or down, certain object might look un-natural e.g. lamp post, road sign, flagpole, traffic light etc.

Quote Originally Posted by cabbySHE View Post
    A tip to say bye-bye to slanting horizon, ( my usual workflow ).

File open in photoshop. Go to window get Ruler.

Use move tool to pull down a horizontal clear guide ( mine in turquoise colour ), and or left to bring out a vertical guide. Move the guide close or next to your horizon, any slant...
    Go image...image rotation..use artbitary and fine tune, compose and crop. Simple.

sometime, when using a wide angle lens, the horizontal might be in perfect level, camera set on tripod with level setting, but becos lens is slightly tilt up or down, certain object might look un-natural e.g. lamp post, road sign, flagpole, traffic light etc.
    Thanks for the useful tips. What I do normally is I use "Distort", "Lens correction", adjust the tilt, then crop. For the lamp post, I tried to adjust after night86mare advice, it turn up I have to sacrifice on the crop and leaving no space on the left of the lamp post. So, I give it a miss here.
    Last edited by jtsky; 1st June 2009 at 04:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jtsky View Post
    Thanks for the useful tips. What I do normally is I use "Distort", "Lens correction", adjust the tilt, then crop. For the lamp post, I tried to adjust after night86mare advice, it turn up I have to sacrifice on the crop and leaving no space on the left of the lamp post. So, I give it a miss here.
    Hmm, haven't use that before, must give it a try, thanks.

The halo ard the lamp post way too obvious.

Nice compo...crop the trees to the right though.
    Haloing on the post - a result of post processing (nothing to do with how u took ur shots)

There's acutally not much HDR in this photo to me as most of the colours are blueish and blueish with only a thin speck of red in the middle.
    A non HDR image will perhaps suffice in such a case?
    Flickr
    There's no present. There's only the immediate future and the recent past.