Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 33

Thread: CA to offer FREE Antivirus and Firewall Software to Windows Users Worldwide

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    ClubSNAP East
    Posts
    1,702

    Thumbs up CA to offer FREE Antivirus and Firewall Software to Windows Users Worldwide


  2. #2
    pauly
    Guests

    Default

    Hei everyone if you think you gonna take this ****!!! opps!!! you better be prepared. nth in the world is for free if you want to get this free utilities think twice. but my advice is better go for the hardware firewall protection instead of software coz its very tricky. by using a free utilities you will have a to pay your product by giving info or shared data of your come without you yourself knowing. thats basically why people programers now using it for. Microsoft???? you kidding they are the worst among all they basically track all most everything if you are a online user. bottom line, i want to say its a good idea to chage your os or your pc to either mac or the new os lindows they are the most reliable os in "IT"

  3. #3

    Default

    pauly : what OS are you using ?

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    The heart of the Abyss
    Posts
    2,307

    Default

    MacOS and *Lindows*
    Microsoft "basically track all most everything if you are a online user"?
    Oh pleazze
    Last edited by Watcher; 19th November 2003 at 08:54 AM.

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Watcher
    MacOS and *Lindows*
    Microsoft "basically track all most everything if you are a online user"?
    Oh pleazze
    are you sure? How do you know? any prove?
    DR KOH KHO KING

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kho King
    are you sure? How do you know? any prove?
    check your cookies ...... whenever you do an update "No other information has been pass over to microsoft ...." ya ..... sure ..... I would not want to take the risk.....

    Anyway, me use Suse Linux at home ..... Whahahahahahaha......

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    ClubSNAP East
    Posts
    1,702

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by blurblock
    check your cookies ...... whenever you do an update "No other information has been pass over to microsoft ...." ya ..... sure ..... I would not want to take the risk.....
    That's insufficient proof.

    This claim has been going around on the Net for ages. But AFAIK, there was no single solid proof that can back up this claim.

    Worst still, some of those who are propagating this "gossip", are just "running scared". Why? Coz they're "friendly" users.

    :Later,

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    The heart of the Abyss
    Posts
    2,307

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kho King
    are you sure? How do you know? any prove?
    More like the other way. Like what Pinoy said, there has so far been no proof even after so many anti-MS people have tried to proof it. For myself, I run network analysis on my in/out traffic, monitor (H/w) firewall logs. No significant info at all.

  9. #9
    pauly
    Guests

    Default i am using this os

    i am using mac for photo editing lindows and linux on pc for IT

  10. #10
    pauly
    Guests

    Unhappy do anyone know that the most stupid person is to update your pc in microsoft??

    i am make this statement because majority alll people people that goes online will for sure update their os and the minority like me never do any update at all. why i bring up this??? is because this is the worst thing to do in microsoft os because whenever you update microsoft is sending all the log from your pc that was recorded when you dont go online for that time. what was recorded i am not sure as what you can see all the post says that we dont have a solid prove. so hope for some of that people who doing update make sure you all will stop updating.

  11. #11

    Default

    i for one love to see proof that Microsoft is sending your log files to them. For one, they do not need such information. Two, read their privacy policy. Three, please be known that there are research institutes vetting their source code in their shared source concept. If you do not know the facts, please do not spread unnecessary panic to people who do not understand computers. There's already enough misconceptions in this world.

  12. #12

    Default

    I also encourage all of you to update your operating system as often as possible. It is in Microsoft's interest that the OS is secure. They have absolutely nothing to gain if their system is not secure. Only the security companies will be happy. They patch as often as possible to make it secure. All of us in the computer industry know that it's impossbile to have a bug-free complex system so updates are the only way to go.

    As for sending traffic to Microsoft, if you haven't realized there are many enthusisasts that tracks the packets sent from their computers. If any information is sent out, it can be easily found out and proof will be pasted all over slashdot.org . Don't underestimate the abilities of the million of computer users out there always looking out for such things.

  13. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pauly
    i am make this statement because majority alll people people that goes online will for sure update their os and the minority like me never do any update at all. why i bring up this??? is because this is the worst thing to do in microsoft os because whenever you update microsoft is sending all the log from your pc that was recorded when you dont go online for that time. what was recorded i am not sure as what you can see all the post says that we dont have a solid prove. so hope for some of that people who doing update make sure you all will stop updating.
    What a load of crap! You think millions of Windows users around the world are dumb like you?!!! There would be thousands of people who would like to bring Microsoft down if there is any proof of this kind of activity. And don't forget the recent news on our home page here. You better have proof of what you say and not bad mouth any company for whatever dumb thoughts you have in your head!

    p.s: Redhat Linux has Redhat Network which basically does the same auto patching like Microsoft except that you have to pay for it.

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    ClubSNAP East
    Posts
    1,702

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pauly
    i am make this statement because majority alll people people that goes online will for sure update their os and the minority like me never do any update at all. why i bring up this??? is because this is the worst thing to do in microsoft os because whenever you update microsoft is sending all the log from your pc that was recorded when you dont go online for that time. what was recorded i am not sure as what you can see all the post says that we dont have a solid prove. so hope for some of that people who doing update make sure you all will stop updating.
    I disagree. The most stupid thing any OS user can do is not to patch their OS whenever possible.

    In the case of Windows, we all have seen how unpatched installations resulted in the spreading of several known viruses (from Spider to Nimda etc), security intrusions, erratic behaviours. Not updating your Windows also may mean depriving yourself of up-to-date support of your "high-end, latest" computer peripherals, gadgetries etc.

    And oh, even your "great" Linux has had its share of patches. "Recompile your kernel", anyone?

    BTW, this thread seems to be turning into a "Windows vs The Rest" thread.

    :Later,

  15. #15

    Default

    I believe that pauly is a dumb, idiotic person, who has no sense of direction. Leeches pirated warez from the internet, buys MP3 CDs from make-shift stalls. Fixes his computer to look like a dumb-bell. Who doesn't update his computer software, using the very 1st version of mac OS.

    Nope, I have no solid proof of what I said above is true.

  16. #16

    Default

    I do not had an axe to grind, but I am just pretty uncomfortable with Windows.

    OK, I am a Windows System Administrator, but I uses Linux at Home instead of Windows.

    In my home system, when I uses XP last time, it crashes too many times for comfort. Not much problem there with my Linux system though ......

    I admit, Linux do have patches, but the patches are mainly for sub programmes like SAMBA, X-WINDOWS, BIND and so on, which technically is not Linux, but other GNU applications. Kernel compilation and patching is used only if I wanted new items not found in old version, or there is a bug in the orginal kernel I am using, which is quite rare. Which brings to the point of only things I am using or I want to use is compiled and installed, slimline the system for other things. Windows is based on One OS with every possible rojak throw in, good for users who likes the easy way out, but create confliction and slow down the system a great deal, due to unrequired drivers loaded... bloating the OS too.

    BTW, it is good to update your patch with Windows, but the problem arises when updating of patch interferes with your application ( problem with system dependency and closed source is, it is all done by virtual of guessing), it would be the chicken or the egg problem ...... you want your system to be secure or you want your application to work. Met these problems a few times, after patching Application produce error, MS says tell the applicaiton vendor .... App vendor says "We are only certified until Service Pack 3, we do not cover errors created by Service pack 4" type of answer ..... really jialat.....

    I Linux, there is no interference with any application, yet, partially when developer develop application for Linux, the can see the Source code for Linux and could avoid possible pitfalls......

    my 2cts.
    Last edited by blurblock; 19th November 2003 at 05:28 PM.

  17. #17
    Moderator Clown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    3,779

    Default

    i remember that microsoft agreed to release its sourcecodes recently, no?

    anyway i do screen and filter the packets that enter and leave my system, and some of the packets really did contain personal stuffs.
    but not all goes to microsoft. they're from all over the place

    so, just be careful. the internet is a dangerous place =)

  18. #18
    Moderator Clown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    3,779

    Default

    oh, personally i'm still on a grisoft's AVG virus scanner.
    can say it's one of the best i've used and it's clean.

  19. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    ClubSNAP East
    Posts
    1,702

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by blurblock
    I Linux, there is no interference with any application, yet, partially when developer develop application for Linux
    I happen to have used Kylix in the past and have, from time to time, read messages related to it, and I must say that I have read of horror stories about updated linux libraries (glibc etc) interfering with other applications.

    In fact, Borland (yep, the developer tools company) has a policy similar to what you stated in your post. They only provide technical support for Kylix on Linux distros (with specific versions) that they officially support.


    the can see the Source code for Linux and could avoid possible pitfalls......
    Being able to see the source code of Linux could, sometimes, mean nothing when the "higher ups" in the Linux community try to pass the buck back to you. Again, this is the feedback I got from following the Kylix saga (if you're interested, search google for Danny Thorpe. He's the Delphi & Kylix Compiler Guy and he's got lots to tell you about Linux, and IIRC, the Linux Loader problem).

    Dang. We're getting technical now, aren't we.

    Now let's get back to the virus and firewall thingy.

    :Later,

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Riddle Realms
    Posts
    5,688

    Default

    Gentlemen,

    although we may have strong opinions about internet security and how certain OSes perform, may i kindly suggest everyone remain civil and not get too personal in their comments?

    Thank you.
    --
    "High Wired, Dream Sired"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •