Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cambodia (Siem Reap)

Default Re: Cambodia (Siem Reap)

i went to Siem Reap last year..Steung Siem Reap was one of the hotel on the list..in the end chose Viroth instead for its modern design..it's a small botique hotel around 5 mins walk from Pub Street...

hired a driver at USD25 nett inclusive of petrol and iced water....his name is Sun Same...do PM me if you need his contact..

Just came back from Siem Reap. Highly recommended, if you are into Angkor ruins and photography.

Hired a driver from this website, www.angkorwat-driver.com. The driver speaks English and is knowledgeable on recommending the various temple ruins. He planned my itinerary and he has no problem with last minute changes. He is most willing to accomodate sunrise or sunset scence request. The first and third day, I hired his tuk-tuk. The second day, I used his car for further away sites. His rates are listed on his website.

Each day, I visited the various sites right after breakfast to beat the heat. The temperature was the same as here. I was always sweating like a pig lugging around the camera backpack with tripod attached. Luckily, he provides free cold mineral water in his vehicles. I am mostly back in town for lunch, followed by a nap before heading out in the late afternoon.

The temple ruin that I like best is the jungle temple, Ta Prohm. Itís amazing how the tree roots have overwhelmed the temple Ė a sight not to be missed. Spent over 2 hours at this place. Of course, Angkor Wat is also a good photographic site to visit. By the way, a one day temple pass costs USD20. I bought a 3 day pass for USD40. Itís good to have a guide book for reference. Bought from the driver, the Ancient Angkor for USD6.

Stayed at a 3 star hotel, Thunborey Hotel, which is a 3 min walk to the Old Market. Since it was the low season, I paid only USD25 for a room with double bed, inclusive of breakfast. The room was clean and the small roof top dining area (6th floor) provides a good all round view of the area.

Most of my meals were taken at the Khmer Kitchen Restaurant, a restaurant beside the Old Market. Most dishes cost USD3 with free serving of rice. Do try the local curry dish called Amok. Almost all the restaurants around there are similarly priced. If you want to see some traditional dances without having to pay then take your dinner at the Temple Balcony Restaurant along Pub Street.

And donít bother to change to their local currency, everything is quoted in USD.

I thoroughly enjoyed my stay in Siem Reap.

Golden Temple Hotel. very good. Queen size bed, air con. Cable TV with ESPN. 15US$ per night. but I went there almost three years ago.

Try Jasmine Lodge. It's cheap, clean and gd.

I am planning a trip to Siem Reap, and most probably can only afford to go away for 3D2N or 4D3N.
    Do you guys think it is enough?

Hi TS,

Siem Reap is a beautiful place, I'm sure you will enjoy your stay there.

I was up there two months ago and I stayed at the Shadow of Angkor II.
    It cost me US$25 per night for a double room, and it was really awesome.
    The room is actually quite luxurious for what it's worth!

And I got this very reliable and good Tuk Tuk driver and he was more than
    helpful and insightful! I even got his contact details back so I can recommend
    to other.

His name is Vebol Oung. His mobile number is (855) 12539348 and you should
    email him veboloung@yahoo.com prior to your trip to arrange him to pick you up
    from Siem Reap international airport.

His English is okay but if you do email him, he will most likely respond within a
    few days time. I am sure he will give you a good rate! =)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12