Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bad economy. How bad?

Default Re: Bad economy. How bad?

bad economy so must spend right?

if not, how will the economy recover

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by synapseman View Post
    And garbage collectors in Germany are said to earn 5k a month. But cost of living and tax rates are also very high in Europe. Many people forget that when making this kind of comparison.
    For student internship, though that $3600 is subjected to 8% tax and that, estimated cost for 3 meals a day + transportation only comes up to $1000 +/- per month.

Quote Originally Posted by synapseman View Post
    And garbage collectors in Germany are said to earn 5k a month. But cost of living and tax rates are also very high in Europe. Many people forget that when making this kind of comparison.
    yes tax rates are higher, but they do get back something from it through subsidies and welfare schemes

if you go to a public doctor, your medical fees are subsidised

if you are unemployed, you can apply for an allowance scheme
    however, a lot of people abuse this, they just kept claiming allowances without wanting to work

salary wise, definitely higher than here

Spending is a must, but how deep your pocket can go is another question. Anyway GSS coming right?

Quote Originally Posted by sheree View Post
    i work as retail and i see people buying $700+ worth of an eyewear item without sparing a single thought on the cost.. faint
    to some, it is only a peanut's skin (given one peanut has a reported valuation of more than half a mil). LOL

Exactly.

Do you know a Part time job as cashier at McDonald's in japan earns you 1000 yen hourly?

That's 15 sing dollars, but their standard of living is very very high.

After being to japan so Many times and with my mum who studied there

The cheapest meal I've ever eaten is 7 dollars, a pathetically small bowl of yakisoba, street side.

There are no hawker centres there.

In UK , the GST is 21%.

There's no recession in Singapore, never will have.
    Last edited by Lomographer; 25th May 2009 at 09:24 PM.
    Pentax K-x

my fren just bought a D90 , where got recession?

Few months back when the recession is hitting hard with retrenchments and stuff:

I see long paying queues at BEST everywhere.
    Long queues at Japanese restaurants.
    Long queues at ice cream stores selling $4 per tiny cup.
    Macdonalds are packed in the morning with families eating Big Breakfast.
    D90s flying off the shelf.

I guess it's hard to see the recession on the surface...unless you're going through it yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Lomographer View Post
    Exactly.

Do you know a Part time job as cashier at McDonald's in japan earns you 1000 yen hourly?
    The cheapest meal I've ever eaten is 7 dollars, a pathetically small bowl of yakisoba, street side.
    In UK , the GST is 21%.
    What an arrogant brat. You are a frog in a well in your own country, so let's just leave Japan and UK out of the picture first should we?

still a lot of ppl buying LX3 and nikon 35mm f1.8 while i'm still jobless...i think i'm having a recession period now in my life...

ok, i think this recession does not affect everyone for sure

those most affected are governments, businesses/companies and retrenched employees including their families

for others, almost like nothing's happening

yes, i'm going to eat 2 dollar double cheeseburger later.

I find that people will still tend to eat out here as it's more of a cultural thing. Talking with some people in retail though, they have definitely seen a slow down in the number of customers. Especially the one off customers versus "repeat" business.

Member/Tangshooter

What pick up? It's not even here yet.
    This is an electronic post which requires no signature.

There seems to be paradox everywhere...there are people on no pay leave/retrenched/4 days work week, there are also people who are snapping up properties every weekend...there are people having more home cooked meals, there are also long queues outside restaurants on a weekday night...

guess there's 2 sides to every coin, and you won't feel there is a recession until it affects you or someone you know...

It's here, just that many will not feel it, cos government really throw in money to float it, but how long will it last?

If the government stops it's support, you think how many will be retrenched?

Blog Entries

Exactly.

Last year this time the wharves were fill with ships and cranes working almost non stop.

Look at the amount of ship at our port now, this wharf is almost empty with "cranes up" ie. not working. The situation was like this for the past 4 days when I was passing thru this place daily.

The day Singaporeans have to queue for free meals tickets and jobs will be the day of Great Depression.

Don't be too quick in dismissing reality.
    Last edited by chngpe01; 26th May 2009 at 02:10 PM.

Exactly.

In UK , the GST is 21%.

there such thing as minimum wage law in certain countries. that mayb be the reason y they getting such pay.

you still too young too understand money. ur still living off your parents young boy. you wont feel the pinch. but singaporeans who earn their own living will feel the pinch. not alot but at least a bit
    | An army of sheep led by a lion are more to be feared than an army of lions led by a sheep. |

Quote Originally Posted by chngpe01 View Post
    Last year this time the wharves were fill with ships and cranes working almost non stop.

Look at the amount of ship at our port now, this wharf is almost empty with "cranes up" ie. not working. The situation was like this for the past 4 days when I was passing thru this place daily.

The day Singaporeans have to queue for free meals tickets and jobs will be the day of Great Depression.

Don't be too quick in dismissing reality.
    yep, i got a shock also when i look out of my window towards PSA TP container terminal. I had never seen so many cranes up as long as I can remember.

Quote Originally Posted by Exposure View Post
    did u went Suntec today ? saw the young crowd playing games.. it seems there is no recession
    and you know what?
    they actually selling "in-game" item using real $$$ and price range of final auction is $500-$5000. Those handsome amount of money for virtual items. Talk about recession!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast