Thread: camera for beginner

Default camera for beginner

Hi All,

i plan to get a new DSLR camera but i never use this type of camera (after feel fujifilm S5700 cannot fulfill me again). my frenz recommend Nikon D90 for me. So i need any suggestion from your about price , function or any other camera recommendation for beginner since i have been cheated at Sim Lim square. if you have good impression about D90 then let me know so that i more confidence to buy it.
    oaktree instead of oaktree...:p

Default Re: camera for beginner

if you have fund matter, take d40 kit (d40x or D60, D5000 it's not worth from what you paid, since they don't have AF on their Body, D40 6 Mpx it's not a matter unless you want to print your shoot on A4 ++ media)

Above d40, D90 & D700 (d300 is in middle d90 and d700, Big difference are 51 AF point, and more FPS, 9 shoot bracketing). However i prefer D90, 11 AF Point & 4.5 FPS still suitable for me).

If you really don't have any problem with fund/cost, Directly take D700 (FX) with FX prime lens. You will get used to with Pro feature at time goes by.

*just my 2 cents, people will think different
    Last edited by milkvanilla; 23rd May 2009 at 07:15 PM.

actually i din not really know about the camera term, what is AF, FPS.....

Quote Originally Posted by oaktree View Post
    actually i din not really know about the camera term, what is AF, FPS.....
    AF - Auto Focus
    FPS - Frame Per Second

I would suggest you get a D90, you'll focus on your technique than a body upgrade.

But if money is a factor, start with a used D40 or maybe a D50

what is the price for D90 in the market. because different place will offer different price. so i need reference so that not cheat my seller.

Quote Originally Posted by milkvanilla View Post
    d300 is in middle d90 and d700, Big difference are 51 AF point, and more FPS, 9 shoot bracketing
    you are very right that pple will think different on this.

if you think the differences between D90 and D300 is just that, you cannot be more ill-informed. this has already been discussed to death in this forum.
    Fast Camera. Fast Lens. Slow Me. Sigh.
    My Flickr

i am using a D90 for around 5 months now, have been very satisfied from day1, it doesn't have what D300 offers, but it's decent enough for me, besides everyone here always says, it's the photographer, but the camera :P so you won't need a very good camera to take very good photo...

i personally have used canon dslr before, but i still prefer nikon for it's intuitive menu system, fussfree usage, feels good in my hands(my hands are big) if you are a beginner, and your budget is around the price for D90, i would highly recommend you to get the D90, but if you have abit more... then feel free to go to D300 for a semi pro body
    [Nikon D90]-[Nikkor 18-105mm VR]-[Nikkor 50mm F1.8D]-[Tamron 35-80mm CF Macro]-[SB-900]

as i know the is different level for those D90 and D300. until now i still dunno what reference price for D90. as i last time been cheated by ppl in SLS so now i prefer to get info at this forum b4 buy camera. now i only use fujifilm S5700.....

If you are getting the D90 at recommanded shops in here shd be ard 1650-1700 with 18-105 VR kit lens, otherwise the body alone would cost ard $1400 region

as i know the is different level for those D90 and D300. until now i still dunno what reference price for D90. as i last time been cheated by ppl in SLS so now i prefer to get info at this forum b4 buy camera. now i only use fujifilm S5700.....
    never never never go SLS. go to reputable shop lah... like mscolor, john 3:16 etc... you can check it out here... http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=458315
    [Nikon D90]-[Nikkor 18-105mm VR]-[Nikkor 50mm F1.8D]-[Tamron 35-80mm CF Macro]-[SB-900]

get a fren who knows dslr well. buy a 2nd hand D80. which will cost 750-800+, + a good lens which is very impt.. standard 50mm 1.8 , cheap for starters, kit lens itself , then train upwards ba.. i learning also haha.

remember that lens is impt , if ur budget doesnt allow d90 + a good enough lens, then get 2nd hand d80. if not wrong d60 and below dont have inbuilt motor or something for some types of lenses, so d80 is the minimum u should really get as its really worth it. other than that ,d90..

if ur really rich. then try full frame (FX), D700, not cheap though, but quite pointless unless u have money to spend on those expensive lens which cost over 1 or 2k upwards lol. after u get ur dslr u will want to buy lens.. haaha

Quote Originally Posted by simcher View Post
    never never never go SLS. go to reputable shop lah... like mscolor, john 3:16 etc... you can check it out here... http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=458315
    To TS: some of the reputable stores are located in Sim Lim Square itself. Even if it is a reputable store, it is best that you the general price first. Even these "recommended" stores have some black sheep and will still try to squeeze a little more from the ill-informed customer. It is business to them anyways.

Do your research. Know how much what is worth generally, and you can might be able to get a price that you think is good even from a "bad" shop.

Hi All,

i plan to get a new DSLR camera but i never use this type of camera (after feel fujifilm S5700 cannot fulfill me again). my frenz recommend Nikon D90 for me. So i need any suggestion from your about price , function or any other camera recommendation for beginner since i have been cheated at Sim Lim square. if you have good impression about D90 then let me know so that i more confidence to buy it.
    get a 2nd-hand D300... I got one myself as my 1st SLR and have never regreted the decision.. however, you have to cough out more when compared to D90/D5000....