Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Vietnam (Hanoi) - Any tips ?

Default Re: Vietnam (Hanoi) - Any tips ?

hmmm.. ok.. i think i need to start planning for early October!!!

any shutterbug interested to go along? target is SAPA!!

Need to vent!

It's so frustrating to book my tour to Sapa with Vietnam Sunshine Travel.

I've been contacting and liaising with them for more than 1 month planning on my very simple itinerary and yet, till today, when we're about to finalise the itinerary, they disappeared! I tried contacting them again but to no avail!! -it has been 3 weeks since they last replied-

Luckily i've not made my payment yet (still waiting for them to tell me the total amount) otherwise, with this sort of customer service, i'd vomit blood!

Any other reliable agent to recommend apart from Handspan? Handspan's pricing is on the high side unfortunately..

Many thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by berriess View Post
    Need to vent!

I've been contacting and liaising with them for more than 1 month planning on my very simple itinerary and yet, till today, when we're about to finalise the itinerary, they disappeared! I tried contacting them again but to no avail!! -it has been 3 weeks since they last replied-

Luckily i've not made my payment yet (still waiting for them to tell me the total amount) otherwise, with this sort of customer service, i'd vomit blood!

Any other reliable agent to recommend apart from Handspan? Handspan's pricing is on the high side unfortunately..

Many thanks!

My itinerary for my upcoming trip to vietnam in sept is very similar to yours
    Hanoi, Halong Bay and Sapa

Hanoi i will be staying with my friend
    Halong bay i am taking a junk/cruise to tour for 3 days 2 nights..Food included i think
    (Hopefully its good)
    They organise pickup from Hanoi also

Sapa i going with backpackers hostel. price is around 110USD.. includes food, homestay and hotel i think... 3 nights 2 days though.. because u will spend 2 nights on the train from Hanoi.. Departs from Hanoi.

Need links i can pm you!

Quote Originally Posted by berriess View Post
    Need to vent!

Many thanks!
    try sinhcafevn.com....very reliable. look out for the correct one as they are many agencies using this name.

i used them for both ho chi minh and hanoi...reasonable prices too.

Guys you think 4D3N would be enough if i want to only cover Hanoi and Halong Bay? a Tour agent quoted me about 800 for this pacakage, return airfare by Sq

Quote Originally Posted by hetfieldpaul View Post
    Guys you think 4D3N would be enough if i want to only cover Hanoi and Halong Bay? a Tour agent quoted me about 800 for this pacakage, return airfare by Sq
    i did hanoi and halong in 6 days and i felt it was just comfortable. Wished i spent at least one more day in hanoi. So if u can afford the time, spend more time exploring hanoi.

The bus ride to halong takes abt 3 hrs and spent 3D2N in halong (incl 1 night on cat ba island relax relax......while 2D in hanoi....

Halong 3D2N tour was US$60 (incl lodging & 3 meals a day) so abt $90....tix by tigerair 2way was $190...cheap cheap...in total excluding food and shopping spent slightly less than S$500.

Suggest you get your package in hanoi...its cheaper and there are many agencies offering the same packages.

Quote Originally Posted by hetfieldpaul View Post
    It depends. Hanoi town area, at least about 1 whole day for new town walkaround. one whole day for old town (old quarters) walkaround, 1 day for some shopping / sight seeing, 2D 1 N for Halong, this is at least.

If you want to save hassle, take the package with SQ. If want go budget, best to take Tiger, and book the tour to Halong when you reach there. Easy, can compare price before book.

Quote Originally Posted by pokiemon View Post
    Very briefly.

General travel
    1. First get your a guide book. I recommend Lonely Planet for Vietnam.
    2. For tours, I would strongly recommend Handspan (pls go to the right one there are many copies). Reason being you pay for what you get. Dont shop for the cheapest cos it's not like buying an item from Cold Storage and NTUC. The price difference is in the quality and service. Hanspan charges abt US$90 to Halong Bay but the accomodation and travel are alot nicer.
    3. Halong Bay - check if the sun is out. Otherwise Halong Bay is very gloomy and flat
    4. Sapa - i would recommend going there for at least min 4 days so if time doesn't permit do it over the next trip.
    5. Hoi An - an ancient UNESCO village. this is a must go! very good photo opportunities!! you will need abt 3 days minimum.
    6. Temple of literature in Hanoi - handful of photo opportunities
    7. Cathedral
    Wow! I just saw pictures of Hoi An! Absolute must visit!!!! Definetly gonna jio some khaki to travel up there.

My cousin is working in Hanoi, so should be bunking over there while I move around

i think the hanoi sunday nite pasar malam is good experience.

Quote Originally Posted by sethgoh View Post
    i did hanoi and halong in 6 days and i felt it was just comfortable. Wished i spent at least one more day in hanoi. So if u can afford the time, spend more time exploring hanoi.

The bus ride to halong takes abt 3 hrs and spent 3D2N in halong (incl 1 night on cat ba island relax relax......while 2D in hanoi....

Halong 3D2N tour was US$60 (incl lodging & 3 meals a day) so abt $90....tix by tigerair 2way was $190...cheap cheap...in total excluding food and shopping spent slightly less than S$500.

Suggest you get your package in hanoi...its cheaper and there are many agencies offering the same packages.
    May i know if you took up the cruise package? Because i enquired about a few online, they quoted me around $149USD 3days 2 nights.. food and accom inclusive. I would say looks decent cruise. Or you suggest i should get there and find out about the packages? will it be cheaper?

Quote Originally Posted by comeonesticks View Post
    May i know if you took up the cruise package? Because i enquired about a few online, they quoted me around $149USD 3days 2 nights.. food and accom inclusive. I would say looks decent cruise. Or you suggest i should get there and find out about the packages? will it be cheaper?
    I never search online
    But I would say better to go there then only book. Don't have to worry too much, there will be sure available place. You can book today and go tomorrow, for most travel agent.

Quote Originally Posted by spaceman View Post
    hmmm.. ok.. i think i need to start planning for early October!!!

any shutterbug interested to go along? target is SAPA!!
    im interested!!
    SAPA!

Quote Originally Posted by Shen siung View Post
    I never search online
    But I would say better to go there then only book. Don't have to worry too much, there will be sure available place. You can book today and go tomorrow, for most travel agent.
    Do you have any to recommend?

can try via zuji.com.sg

in halong bay...the cruises are actually larger junks...my package is 3d2n at US$60...so i would think US$149 is expensive. any pictures to show to get a better idea?

example of the junkbts there:
    http://www.halongbay-vietnam.com/halong_junk_boat.htm

i used sinhcafevn.com u can try them...v reliable.

the junkboat i was in had about 12-15rms in all? and the hotel we stayed on cat ba was comfortable as well.

if go end of yr dun even need aircon...v cold weather aldy....freeze at night.

Do you have any to recommend?
    I do not have, but even if I got, may not be the best.
    You might not have any idea, but you may try imagine: in the old quarters in Hanoi, in most of the streets, at least 2 travel agent are situated. So means, a walk of about 10 min you can encountered at least 3 - 4 travel agent. Approach them, ask for price.

Usually next day departure is possible. But you can always adjust your itinerary - example, only go Halong bay / other places at the end of your stay in Hanoi, or at least give yourself 2 to 3 days in Hanoi, before the tour.

As other CSer had said, there are different type of 'cruise' available. Ask them for the photo to see, and expect less, will make you more contended of what you get. Usually, but not always true, is, you pay for what you get. A USD80 package will slightly better then a USD60 package.

But again, you will surprise someone (book from other agency) paid (5~10% less) 2 or 3 USD less, for the same thing you got. Again, expect less.

So, ask around before commit. After got the price, politely walk away, after got enough info, can go back to book.

in halong bay...the cruises are actually larger junks...my package is 3d2n at US$60...so i would think US$149 is expensive. any pictures to show to get a better idea?

the junkboat i was in had about 12-15rms in all? and the hotel we stayed on cat ba was comfortable as well.

Which Halong Junk you did you take?

Which Halong Junk you did you take?
    if i recall...looks like e jewel of e day. my junk wasnt so new though but was ok for me.

My itinerary for my upcoming trip to vietnam in sept is very similar to yours
    Hanoi, Halong Bay and Sapa

Hanoi i will be staying with my friend
    Halong bay i am taking a junk/cruise to tour for 3 days 2 nights..Food included i think
    (Hopefully its good)
    They organise pickup from Hanoi also

Sapa i going with backpackers hostel. price is around 110USD.. includes food, homestay and hotel i think... 3 nights 2 days though.. because u will spend 2 nights on the train from Hanoi.. Departs from Hanoi.

Need links i can pm you!
    try sinhcafevn.com....very reliable. look out for the correct one as they are many agencies using this name.
    i used them for both ho chi minh and hanoi...reasonable prices too.

Thanks for the help guys!

Seth, i'm looking at the page now!

Wow, then zuji's quote from travel viator is really expensive from what i saw itwas US180 for a 2d1N stay inclusive of transfer from hanoi, btw care to share your experience on the boat and in halong bay?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast