Thread: how can i charge this battery?

Default how can i charge this battery?

Hi guys,

Recently bought a d90 in a package 'deal', came with a high cap battery that is not by Nikon.

7.4v, 5500mAh Li-ion battery. Battery model is apparently: PK-EN-EL3E

Nikon's quick charger provided in the camera kit doesn't seem to be able to charge this bugger..so how do i go about charging it up so it won't be a white elephant?

And ah..is it safe to use by the way? haha..

Default Re: how can i charge this battery?

Quote Originally Posted by chengjoo View Post
    Hi guys,

Recently bought a d90 in a package 'deal', came with a high cap battery that is not by Nikon.

7.4v, 5500mAh Li-ion battery. Battery model is apparently: PK-EN-EL3E

Nikon's quick charger provided in the camera kit doesn't seem to be able to charge this bugger..so how do i go about charging it up so it won't be a white elephant?

And ah..is it safe to use by the way? haha..
    Would recommend you to buy the original one. It's not too expensive anyway. Last thing you wanna do is to let the battery spoilt your cam body.
    Nikon D90 | NIKKOR 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR | NIKKOR 35mm f/1.8G | Micro NIKKOR 60mm f/2.8G ED

in fact .. a li-ion battery the size of a EN-EL3e cannot hold 5500mah unless some breakthrough in battery technology that i do not know of has occurred. Chances are the battery is dead, or the charging contact (the terminal marked with a "C") is dirty. Your nikon deserves something better than a 3rd party battery that seems very dubious.

oh..i see..just curious then..on average, how much does an original EN-EL3E cost?

do note that your original Nikon warranty might be void if any damaged is caused by 'non Nikon approved' accessories or power sources. if the 3rd party battery is of poor quality, you risk damaging your D90, or charger, or both. is this worth the risk? fred