Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Adjust metering system or exposure compensation?

  1. #1

    Default Adjust metering system or exposure compensation?

    I recently shot a photo where the subject was hidden in the shadow of another structure.

    Normally, I use the multi metering system but since the subject was very dark, I set it to spot meter so it could properly read the amount of light of the subject before taking the shot.

    My question is:

    Would it have made a difference if I had just left it on multi metering but instead change the exposure compensation? Meaning, I would bring up the exp. comp. to +1 or so.

    If there is no difference between using the metering function and changing the exposure comp., then in future, I would just leave the settings on multi metering and if ever I need to get properly lighting for a specific area in the shot, I could just change the exposure settings? Correct?

    Appreciate any advice on this.

    Cheers!

  2. #2

    Default Re: Adjust metering system or exposure compensation?

    correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that if you compensate a dark subject your EV comp should be towards the negative??

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    358

    Default Re: Adjust metering system or exposure compensation?

    Quote Originally Posted by screambitch View Post
    correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that if you compensate a dark subject your EV comp should be towards the negative??
    ?? erm if your subject is dark, ur EV should be up towards positive ... no?

    as for TS's question, i would think both ways would work. the essence of metering would be to get the desired exposure based on the conditions of what you want to shoot. so there's nothing wrong with using ur multi metering mode and then adjusting accordingly using the EV comp ... there isnt a right or wrong metering mode, really depends on what come out after you shoot and whether u like it or not ...

  4. #4

    Default Re: Adjust metering system or exposure compensation?

    Quote Originally Posted by jeremyteocx View Post
    ?? erm if your subject is dark, ur EV should be up towards positive ... no?

    as for TS's question, i would think both ways would work. the essence of metering would be to get the desired exposure based on the conditions of what you want to shoot. so there's nothing wrong with using ur multi metering mode and then adjusting accordingly using the EV comp ... there isnt a right or wrong metering mode, really depends on what come out after you shoot and whether u like it or not ...
    sorry my bad.

  5. #5
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Tampines
    Posts
    210

    Default Re: Adjust metering system or exposure compensation?

    Supposed I'm capturing an sunset image on the beach, how could do it such that my subject (people) are mere shadows compared to the warm colours of the sky?

    with only a a200 and kit lens

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Paris (FRANCE)
    Posts
    138

    Default Re: Adjust metering system or exposure compensation?

    Quote Originally Posted by dyl2200 View Post
    I recently shot a photo where the subject was hidden in the shadow of another structure.

    Normally, I use the multi metering system but since the subject was very dark, I set it to spot meter so it could properly read the amount of light of the subject before taking the shot.

    My question is:

    Would it have made a difference if I had just left it on multi metering but instead change the exposure compensation? Meaning, I would bring up the exp. comp. to +1 or so.

    If there is no difference between using the metering function and changing the exposure comp., then in future, I would just leave the settings on multi metering and if ever I need to get properly lighting for a specific area in the shot, I could just change the exposure settings? Correct?

    Appreciate any advice on this.

    Cheers!

    Correct but...with most cameras, you can change the exposure settings only from -2IL to +2IL . In case, you need to introduce +3IL or more refering to the multi metering (for example, a full moon by dark night...), remember to set your camera to Manual Mode : if not, you can't get the picture in PSA and Auto modes.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Adjust metering system or exposure compensation?

    Quote Originally Posted by dyl2200 View Post
    Would it have made a difference if I had just left it on multi metering but instead change the exposure compensation? Meaning, I would bring up the exp. comp. to +1 or so.

    If there is no difference between using the metering function and changing the exposure comp., then in future, I would just leave the settings on multi metering and if ever I need to get properly lighting for a specific area in the shot, I could just change the exposure settings? Correct?
    well, you can get the same result, but you must use multi long enough, and familiarise yourself with how the metering will behave long enough, to be sure that you are getting the "spot on exposure" that you want.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Adjust metering system or exposure compensation?

    Quote Originally Posted by Agenda View Post
    Supposed I'm capturing an sunset image on the beach, how could do it such that my subject (people) are mere shadows compared to the warm colours of the sky?

    with only a a200 and kit lens
    Meter the sky.
    Alpha

  9. #9

    Default Re: Adjust metering system or exposure compensation?

    Thanks for the advice guys.

    As I've been playing around with my new camera more I've learned a few new things about how the exposure compensation function works:

    - Changing exposure comp. (- or +) when the aperture is fixed (for example: permanently on f2.4) is also equivalent to just changing the shutter speed.

    I noticed this because in full manual mode, the function to adjust exposure compensation is disabled.

    So does that mean, when in auto or aperture priority mode, if you change the exposure compensation you are merely changing the shutter speed?

  10. #10

    Default Re: Adjust metering system or exposure compensation?

    Quote Originally Posted by dyl2200 View Post
    Thanks for the advice guys.

    As I've been playing around with my new camera more I've learned a few new things about how the exposure compensation function works:

    - Changing exposure comp. (- or +) when the aperture is fixed (for example: permanently on f2.4) is also equivalent to just changing the shutter speed.

    I noticed this because in full manual mode, the function to adjust exposure compensation is disabled.

    So does that mean, when in auto or aperture priority mode, if you change the exposure compensation you are merely changing the shutter speed?
    yes.

  11. #11
    Moderator Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    12,388

    Default Re: Adjust metering system or exposure compensation?

    Quote Originally Posted by dyl2200 View Post
    So does that mean, when in auto or aperture priority mode, if you change the exposure compensation you are merely changing the shutter speed?
    Don't you look at your camera displays?

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •