Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What I am lacking ?

Default Re: What I am lacking ?

Quote Originally Posted by HoangHung View Post
    So in summary, what I need are :
    - practice more and more to improve composition ...
    - finding my theme
    - emotions
    - experience and patience
    - post process
    - better friends ????
    u know what you're getting really good feedback and suggestions here, but my worry is that you will be too concerned about all these, which may hold back your shooting. important to take all these in but still shoot with your heart and what you feel is best ... sometimes its gd to get the feedback but ultimately it also should be what u 'feel' is right or the best.

I'll try to add on without repeating what the others have said.

You have a lot of shots in your collection, some not too bad, some poorly composed, the problem is that they are multiple shots of the same subject, so there is what I feel is a "dilution effect"- nothing will stand out.

In the process of learning, it is OK to take many shots from different angles, but you must be disciplined enough to select only the best (few) from the series to post. Ask yourself why that particular shot stands out, then seek opinion from others. Thats where you discover your strengths.

Keep working towards your strengths and evaluate your progress, you will find that the ratio of "lousy" and "good" photos will improve.

Indeed. You really should exercise more criticism when choosing your own photos.

If you think the pics are bad, don't even show them (unless you HAVE to share it with people for some event or something).

For example, you had uploaded an attempt at HDR. You admitted that it didn't go the way you wanted in the description and that you tried something different and it was still no good. Then why leave it in your photostream?

I see a lot of pictures when I visit your flickr photosteam. Some are quite nice, and some are honestly downright bad in terms of exposure and composition. I believe you'd be able to notice them too if you look at them again yourself harder. Imo, self-criticism should come first before letting the others critique.

Be harder on yourself and you'd get better unknowingly, but you have to remember to have fun still. Cos in the end, it's still a hobby and you should enjoy it.

Disclaimer: I still have a long longggggg way to go too.

It's been almost 1 year since the first time I used DSLR. However, after looking at my pictures, all of my friends told me that my picture is lacking of something. I don't really know what is that, color ? contrast ? creativity ? or it is just 'how to utilize my equipment' ?
    well, some people might tell you, your camera not good enough. don't listen to them.

it is simple, just look at more "good photographs", take the effort to think why they are good.. take the effort to try to emulate them, go through the process of self-critique, for you are your best and worst judge..... and you will improve, and there will be something more for sure, no matter how good you are in the first place.

but that really depends on why you take up photography in the first place. for me, i feel the need to make my pictures aesthetically pleasing. what about you?

Thank you all for comments. Well, a loooooong way to study and practise. Self-critisim....

You already take good pics. Just be more selective with what you upload, so others only see your very best work. View pictures here on CS and Flickr to see how others tackle a subject/situation.

Try to learn about post-processing skills(Lightroom, Photoshop, Gimp etc) to add more contrast, saturation and sharpening. There should be a big difference "before" & "after".

Most importantly, continue to have fun, shoot what you love(everyone has a different view on what is interesting) and shoot till your finger bleeds

I love looking at more people's work and see wats nice and wats lacking. There is always some learning point, and learn to be more self critical ( although it itself is a point of subjectivity ) before being more critical of others.

People are generally quick at throwing comments but preaching the anti-thesis of what they themselves are doing. I suspect I am guilty of that as well, since I often find myself learning and scratching the bare surface of composition.

Shoot more. And enjoy the process. It is meant to be great fun.

Ryan

Pounced onto this thread as I had (and still have) the same thoughts as you.
    I started in Feb 2006, and have yet to find my style. It takes time and alot of patience.
    Some people simply have a knack for the 'art' sense, if you dont have it, you have to
    practice it. And when you get it, its your style, you cant 'force your style out'.

Here's some things I do prior to a shoot, hope it helps -

-Think black & white if i want it to reflect it that way
    -Go and shoot a theme, colours, shapes. Each shoot should focus on a certain theme
    -Think about your end product before you release the shutter
    -Dont release the shutter if you cant visualise it
    -Try film!
    -Impose limitations on yourself - focal length, colour, composition etc.

Focus on the basics like composition and exposure to increase your confidence, other things will flow in naturally.

Enjoy.
    The sooner you get it, the longer you enjoy it.
    I welcome you @ www.benaw.zenfolio.com

see some of ur pics, can feel tat u love photography very much n hard working
    some of the pics not bad...only thing i think u need to do more homework about the pattern, colour, expression, composition ...etc,
    p/s:The Jurong Island photo u take from Jurong Hill top, right?

Thanks for all the comments. I really appreciate.
    Quote Originally Posted by OnePiece View Post
    p/s:The Jurong Island photo u take from Jurong Hill top, right?
    I took it from NUS library, using a 75-300

Thanks for all the comments. I really appreciate.

I took it from NUS library, using a 75-300
    OIC... have a nice weekend

It's been almost 1 year since the first time I used DSLR. However, after looking at my pictures, all of my friends told me that my picture is lacking of something. I don't really know what is that, color ? contrast ? creativity ? or it is just 'how to utilize my equipment' ?

Those are all the best pictures of mine ( in Flickr ) : http://www.flickr.com/photos/16995874@N03/

I used Canon 400D, kit ( non IS ) and 75-300 III
    Can you show me the photos taken by your friends who said you lack 'something' first. I would like to see how they have 'unlacked' many things before i pass my comments.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12