Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 66

Thread: China - Yunnnan

  1. #21

    Default Re: China - Yunnnan

    Not sure if Aug is the best time to go, but ooh, certainly one of my best experiences in that part of Yunnan! (I went in Oct)
    http://blog.roving-light.com/2008/09...mountains.html

    Lijiang is really great for photography; some minor tips :
    http://blog.roving-light.com/2007/12/lijiang.html

    Quote Originally Posted by yamcake View Post
    can i ask what is the weather like in Shangrila? (during Aug..)
    Anyone been to Deqin? the last town before the tibetian border.
    ....
    ....

  2. #22

    Default Re: China - Yunnnan

    Anyone went to Tiger Leaping Gorge 虎跳峡 before?
    Nikon D90, AF-S VR 18-200mm, AF 50mm f/1.8D

  3. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    sewage drain/manhole
    Posts
    5,011

    Default Re: China - Yunnnan

    Quote Originally Posted by shooi911 View Post
    Anyone went to Tiger Leaping Gorge 虎跳峡 before?
    yeah .... anything specific you want to know?

  4. #24

    Default Re: China - Yunnnan

    Was in Yunnan in April. Nice weather, cool and sunny most of the time.But did have rain and snow aslo. This time skipped Tiger Leaping Gorge, cos was there almost 15 years ago. Heard its very easy access now. Must go to Mei li Snow mountain. Along the way views were fantastic. We had snow storm while on the way there.

  5. #25

    Default Re: China - Yunnnan

    Tiger Leaping Gorge is nice, if this is your first time there should try to do the trek.
    been there few years ago not sure if its still that nice..

    this time round i wanted to visit meili
    not sure whether for 10days i can do this
    Kuming > Lijiang > Lugu Lake > Zhongdian > Deqin >Yubeng > Meili > Lijiang

  6. #26

    Default Re: China - Yunnnan

    Quote Originally Posted by paapoopa View Post
    Tiger Leaping Gorge is nice, if this is your first time there should try to do the trek.
    been there few years ago not sure if its still that nice..

    this time round i wanted to visit meili
    not sure whether for 10days i can do this
    Kuming > Lijiang > Lugu Lake > Zhongdian > Deqin >Yubeng > Meili > Lijiang
    If you dun spend > 3 days in Kunming n Lijiang, should be doable, but would probably be pretty tight schedule

  7. #27

    Default Re: China - Yunnnan

    Quote Originally Posted by alexljy View Post
    If you dun spend > 3 days in Kunming n Lijiang, should be doable, but would probably be pretty tight schedule
    dont actually intend to spend time in kunming,
    might stay 1 or 2 days in lijiang... I am feeling that its pretty tight as well
    as I dont like to just touch and go.
    Would like to hang around and take photos.

  8. #28

    Default Re: China - Yunnnan

    Quote Originally Posted by paapoopa View Post
    dont actually intend to spend time in kunming,
    might stay 1 or 2 days in lijiang... I am feeling that its pretty tight as well
    as I dont like to just touch and go.
    Would like to hang around and take photos.
    If that's the case, maybe skip either yubeng or Lugu lake? My suggestion is to go for Yubeng, and skip Lugu Lake, cause of the 7hrs car ride

  9. #29

    Default Re: China - Yunnnan

    Quote Originally Posted by alexljy View Post
    If that's the case, maybe skip either yubeng or Lugu lake? My suggestion is to go for Yubeng, and skip Lugu Lake, cause of the 7hrs car ride
    ya thats the worse case ..
    still finding out if there is direct route to yubeng from lugu lake without going back to lijiang

    and it seems like the more research i do the more places i want to visit
    hahha
    too many places too little time

  10. #30

    Default Re: China - Yunnnan

    Quote Originally Posted by paapoopa View Post
    ya thats the worse case ..
    still finding out if there is direct route to yubeng from lugu lake without going back to lijiang

    and it seems like the more research i do the more places i want to visit
    hahha
    too many places too little time
    There's no such route, see this map


  11. #31

    Default Re: China - Yunnnan

    Quote Originally Posted by oeyvind View Post
    There's no such route, see this map

    opps seems like i need to replan,

  12. #32

    Default Re: China - Yunnnan

    Quote Originally Posted by paapoopa View Post
    opps seems like i need to replan,
    I take very easy path ,, from KunMing to and stay at LiJiang for 4 days counting stones ..
    then from LiJiang to Shangri-la to DeXin see MeiLi (4 days)
    and back to LiJiang and KunMing (2 days ) .. then Home Sweet Home ..
    AMPA * WPPI * J team

  13. #33
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    West
    Posts
    2,792

    Default Re: China - Yunnnan

    Late July may be the raining season.

  14. #34
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    2,060

    Default Re: China - Yunnnan

    I went to Yunan, Kunming, Dali and Shangrila b4, during the month end oct to 3rd week Nov whereby the weather is cold and slight rain. Nice but the sky is throughout NO blue.

    Share some lousy shots with you.






    Enjoy your every moment with our nature and friends

  15. #35
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    258

    Default Re: China - Yunnnan

    other than photography, my advice for lijiang is to visit Shu He old town, 束和古镇, go with someone you love, very relaxing and carefree. total relaxation. 闲聊,发呆,往天,看书。。。等等
    400D | 18-200mm DC OS
    IXUS 80 IS

  16. #36
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    @serangoon
    Posts
    179

    Default Re: China - Yunnnan

    Hi all, i decided to "dig" this thread as the places i planned to go are found in this thread.

    I plan to visit FeiLaiSi, YuBeng Village, Mingyong Glacier, then back to Lijiang and maybe Lugu Lake during Oct, estimated 14days.
    Is it advisable to go solo to YuBeng Village without any guide?
    Will i get lost during the trekking from Xideng to Yubeng Village?
    Is it better to stay at Zhongdian to acclimatize the high altitude or go straight to FeiLaiSi to acclimatize?
    Is it better to take domestic flight from Kunming to Zhongdian or taking sleeper bus from Kunming to Zhongdian if there is any?


    I have been to Yunnan in 2008, staying in Lijiang for 2days, exploring around Lijiang and went to LaShiHai with a travel agency at Lijiang. After that i went over to trek at Tiger Leaping Gorge alone.

    Thanks for the help, advise and insight.

    *oeyvind, your photos of Yunnan are very nice!!

  17. #37
    Member sf_kang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    642

    Default Re: China - Yunnnan

    hi oeyvind, thanks for sharing your album. really wonderful photos.
    fred

  18. #38
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    West
    Posts
    2,792

    Default Re: China - Yunnnan

    Quote Originally Posted by your18 View Post
    Hi all, i decided to "dig" this thread as the places i planned to go are found in this thread.

    I plan to visit FeiLaiSi, YuBeng Village, Mingyong Glacier, then back to Lijiang and maybe Lugu Lake during Oct, estimated 14days.
    Is it advisable to go solo to YuBeng Village without any guide?
    Will i get lost during the trekking from Xideng to Yubeng Village?
    Is it better to stay at Zhongdian to acclimatize the high altitude or go straight to FeiLaiSi to acclimatize?
    Is it better to take domestic flight from Kunming to Zhongdian or taking sleeper bus from Kunming to Zhongdian if there is any?


    I have been to Yunnan in 2008, staying in Lijiang for 2days, exploring around Lijiang and went to LaShiHai with a travel agency at Lijiang. After that i went over to trek at Tiger Leaping Gorge alone.

    Thanks for the help, advise and insight.

    *oeyvind, your photos of Yunnan are very nice!!
    I did Meili Xue Shan last year. Assuming you move out from FeilaiSi, 4 nights for Meili Xue Shan area is good but 7 nights provides a more relaxing pace. At least 2 nights in Yubeng.

    I flew from Kunming to Zhongdian on the morning flight and took the long drive to Feilai Si, reaching in the late afternoon. Your problem will be getting a ride from Zhongdian to Feilai Si alone. Taxi ? expensive. Bus ? will have to wait around for it.

    If you were comfortable alone on Hutiao xia, then no need for a guide as there is only one trial. Hard to get lost.

    AMS? Depends on your body. I had none but my buddy has a little upon arriving at Feilai Si but cleared soon after. Generally should be no problem as you don't get above 4,000m anyway.

    Oct should be a good time for photos, with clear skies. Plenty of Chinese trekkers and TOURISTS around.

    Good luck and have plenty of fun.
    Last edited by Daoyin; 26th June 2010 at 04:56 PM.

  19. #39

    Default Re: China - Yunnnan

    Hi your18

    I am also planning a similar trip
    kunming > Lijiang > zhongdian > Meili area than FeiLaiSi, YuBeng Village, Mingyong Glacier
    and back to lijiang than kunming..

    will be doing this in dec xmas period.
    will be going on a group of 7, was wondering if anyone have a agency in lijiang or kunming to recommend?
    as we are quite a big group and travel during xmas season, afraid we wont be able to get transport and guesthouse on our own.
    Last edited by paapoopa; 26th June 2010 at 07:06 PM.

  20. #40
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    @serangoon
    Posts
    179

    Default Re: China - Yunnnan

    Hey Daoyin, thanks for sharing your experience.
    Most likely, i will fly from kunming to zhongdian, stay for a day or two, to acclimatize.
    After that i will head out to FeiLaiSi.
    Any advise on which part of Yubeng to stay? Upper or lower Yubeng?
    Any website to share?
    Quote Originally Posted by Daoyin View Post
    I did Meili Xue Shan last year. Assuming you move out from FeilaiSi, 4 nights for Meili Xue Shan area is good but 7 nights provides a more relaxing pace. At least 2 nights in Yubeng.

    I flew from Kunming to Zhongdian on the morning flight and took the long drive to Feilai Si, reaching in the late afternoon. Your problem will be getting a ride from Zhongdian to Feilai Si alone. Taxi ? expensive. Bus ? will have to wait around for it.

    If you were comfortable alone on Hutiao xia, then no need for a guide as there is only one trial. Hard to get lost.

    AMS? Depends on your body. I had none but my buddy has a little upon arriving at Feilai Si but cleared soon after. Generally should be no problem as you don't get above 4,000m anyway.

    Oct should be a good time for photos, with clear skies. Plenty of Chinese trekkers and TOURISTS around.

    Good luck and have plenty of fun.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •