Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What's your startegy for bidding in Ebay?

Default Re: What's your startegy for bidding in Ebay?

Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt View Post
    think the best easiest way to win a bid = buy from ppl who can end bid before the time kind, or from shops...
    Those are also strats one could use.

E-baying is sometimes luck, but most of the time, it's hard work and a very keen eye.

Quote Originally Posted by maddyks View Post
    Ha ha lovely camera. Wonder why they didn't want it. I'm quite sure you are getting awesome images from it.
    yeah i did, just that film is getting my pocket burned so switched back to digital

Quote Originally Posted by Dream Merchant View Post

E-baying is sometimes luck, but most of the time, it's hard work and a very keen eye.
    ya luck plays some role too.....
    keen eye helps especially when no one else notices the item you bid for heheheh

Is there anyway in ebay that you could see what were the winning bids of a similar item?

I've been spending a week tracking a certain brand of video camera and letting two go to see whether the new lisitngs will be lower in price.

Time is on your side if you are not in a hurry to get what you want.

Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    Is there anyway in ebay that you could see what were the winning bids of a similar item?

I've been spending a week tracking a certain brand of video camera and letting two go to see whether the new lisitngs will be lower in price.

Time is on your side if you are not in a hurry to get what you want.
    In the past I think there was, but now i don't see an option. Would love to find out though as such alist would be very useful as a ref.

In the past I think there was, but now i don't see an option. Would love to find out though as such alist would be very useful as a ref.
    I think now you can only find out if you "watch" an item. So a bit of time need to spend tracking to see what are the prices the recent winning bids are.

Bidding can be addictive. One of my workmates practically spends his nights bidding ending up with lots of unused goods. It can be like gambling.

dying seconds bid really works, i did that once for a G-short retail price at around S$250, but secured the bid at S$98 (including postage within Singapore).
    like others mentioned, during working hours seems to be less bidders.

ah....the joys of ebaying.....

1. best way to bid on ebay is to use an auction sniper website or program, e.g. auction sniper. this will make sure that your bid only appears in the dying seconds of the auction. also there will be less bidding war, which keeps the final selling price down.

2. bidding by proxy using the ebay bidding proxy system is not effective, i have tried that a few times and always kena outbid at the last minute.

3. you can view "completed listings" on ebay for similar items that have been sold previously. this will give you a benchmark of selling prices.

good luck and exercise self control!

What's your startegy for bidding in Ebay?
    i can't be bothered to use sniping program.

i just bid the highest bid i am willing to pay, and not look at it again.

otherwise will just keep wanting to win...

so what happens when most of the bidders of that item uses sniping auction? who brings the cargo home?

Quote Originally Posted by sprintist View Post
    so what happens when most of the bidders of that item uses sniping auction? who brings the cargo home?
    the one who sets the highest sniping bid.

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    i can't be bothered to use sniping program.

i just bid the highest bid i am willing to pay, and not look at it again.

otherwise will just keep wanting to win...
    good strategy, you have self control!

sometimes you just have to be patient. e.g. a few similar items go on auction on ebay at different ending times, there's no need to bid on the "hot" auction, just wait for the next one and chances are you can get a much better price for it. avoid bidding wars if you can.

Quote Originally Posted by zaren View Post
    good strategy, you have self control!
    yar, sometimes is really luck, i have seen auctions where it is sick, people get so caught up in bidding they just end up bidding 1.5x the usual value of the product

sometimes the same product goes for half the usual price.... so if you wait long enough, you will get something half price...... i rather wait..

yar, sometimes is really luck, i have seen auctions where it is sick, people get so caught up in bidding they just end up bidding 1.5x the usual value of the product

sometimes the same product goes for half the usual price.... so if you wait long enough, you will get something half price...... i rather wait..
    exactment..... avoid bidding wars!! (and it pays to have patience....most ppl can't resist the BBB virus and almost-instant gratification)

Last edited by zaren; 21st May 2009 at 03:11 PM.

Once I waited for the right price for a movie camera in ebay, I eventually got it for only 1/10 of the price thanks to my self-control and enormous patience.

But the wait lasted many years until the manufacturers stopped making the film for it and no body wanted the camera any more.

Once I waited for the right price for a movie camera in ebay, I eventually got it for only 1/10 of the price thanks to my self-control and enormous patience.

But the wait lasted many years until the manufacturers stopped making the film for it and no body wanted the camera any more.
    put in a ebay proxy bid at triple the previous selling price of similar items, and i GUARANTEE you will win the auction! no need to wait!

bid only on items sold by reputable sellers.

Quote Originally Posted by zaren View Post
    put in a ebay proxy bid at triple the previous selling price of similar items, and i GUARANTEE you will win the auction! no need to wait!
    What if someone puts double?

Then that double chongs all other bids, and your triple chongs the double, and you win and you have to pay more than double what that item usually sells for ah?

What if someone puts double?

Then that double chongs all other bids, and your triple chongs the double, and you win and you have to pay more than double what that item usually sells for ah?

that's why a guaranteed win in ebay is not necessarily a good thing.

nai meh's approach will save you more money in the long run!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast