Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Just pick up another $$$ hobby

Member/Tangshooter

Default Re: Just pick up another $$$ hobby

Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt View Post
    well someone say cannot use airbrush with masking tape, so air brush is out... i wonder how the hell u going to spray those points with just airbrush.

anyway, buy paint, use brush lor... remember to mask it before painting, but up to u if u wanna mask or not... my skills not good, so have to mask, paint, dry, remove, mask the painted area, then paint the other side.
    there are ppl who can do very straight and fine lines using airbrush..

masking is more for painting bigger surface area..if part by part mask and paint, i think i will stop on my first kit..
    This is an electronic post which requires no signature.

Member/Tangshooter

Quote Originally Posted by denniskee View Post
    is airbrush same as those spray in cans? i mean the way u use it.

if yes, can those can spray paint be use on plastic? if can, than just buy those cans and masking tape lor.
    spray can paint works the same like airbrushing..but the nozzle is so much bigger leh..

i suggest go with buying proper plastic kit paints and use the brush..at least this will keep u busy for quite some time..but if u r really into it, go straight for airbrush kit..but airbrushing is another skill to learn..
    This is an electronic post which requires no signature.

so how, the missile head, any other better method than using red maker?

peterpan say use maker not easy and dont do good job. he suggested using paint and normal paint brush/
    Last edited by denniskee; 23rd May 2009 at 12:06 AM.
    photography makes one sees things from all angles.

peterpan say use maker not easy and dont do good job. he suggested using paint and normal paint brush/
    no wonder hardly hear from you liao..... got new lover ah
    Dreams at Photoaid! Contact me, pls!

Quote Originally Posted by Tupi Guy View Post
    no wonder hardly hear from you liao..... got new lover ah
    thats why lor, must work doubly hard to support mistress. juggling between regular work and shoot to squeeze out some money for her.

thats why lor, must work doubly hard to support mistress. juggling between regular work and shoot to squeeze out some money for her.
    great! Jia you ah! Must show us more about your mistress ah!
    Dreams at Photoaid! Contact me, pls!

aiya dennis, just get one perfect grade model lah
    carbonmade
    mαke.believe

Quote Originally Posted by Royaux View Post
    where to find so much spare $$$.

vince123123
    Guests

My humble suggestions:

1. From what I understand, the pros usually don't use markers to paint. I presume becuase the finish isn't as good as paints, although it may be easier to use. Simliar to how we use PnS for newbies and DSLR for more advanced pple.

2. Are you able to disassemble the missle heads from teh missile launchers? If so, my suggestion would be to disassemble those and then paint them separately, and then put them back. If you are able to disassemble, then airbrush is the best choice to do this.

3. If you cannot disassemble the missile heads, I would use a normal brush to paint them in. Whilst you can use an airbrush, the masking will be very difficult since there are multiple ROUND shapes you need to mask out.

4. Gundam marker should be the same as the brush with paint, but I'm not sure about the finish compared to brush with paint.

hi vince

http://www.collectiondx.com/gallery2...-5/meteor1.jpg

http://www.starshipmodeler.org/wfest2k6/v_twc_56.jpg

u see the red dots? those are the missile head i am referring to. do u think a fine tip red marker is suitable for the job? is there a better way to color the heads?

as it is now, right out of the box, the whole missile box is gray color, very flat and boring.

vince123123
    Guests

Yes, for airbrush painting, Bandai Gundam kits have the advantage of being able to disassemble. Usually a dry fit is done first to see how it looks like, then disassemble to paint.

That is why you see gundam makers have those satay sticks sticking out of the styrofoam thingy. They disassemble and paint each part separtely using airbrush.

i just spoken to peterpan, neon paint can get from art friends, and maybe the metallic red. but does that means i need to do air bush? if like that, i need to dismantle the Meteor to spray right?

sorry hor, newbie here.

vince123123
    Guests

In case you are referring to me, I did not say you cannot use an airbrush with masking tape. Masking tape is intended to be used with an airbrush. My statement was intended to refer to the airbrushing of PANEL LINES" using airbrush and masking tape.

Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt View Post
    well someone say cannot use airbrush with masking tape, so air brush is out... i wonder how the hell u going to spray those points with just airbrush.

anyway, buy paint, use brush lor... remember to mask it before painting, but up to u if u wanna mask or not... my skills not good, so have to mask, paint, dry, remove, mask the painted area, then paint the other side.

vince123123
    Guests

An airbrush is similar to the effect you get in spraycans, but it gives you a much better finish because you can control the amount of paint coming out and the spray pressure. Spray cans give a non-constant pressure and sometimes the spray comes out in a spurt.

Hence, spray cans are not recommended. The only reason I'll buy a spray can is to decant the paint out of it.

For example, I just bought a Tamiya Olive Drab spray can yesterday to spray a tank. I intend to decant the paint out of it to put into an airbrush to spray it. Not to spray from the can directly.

Decanting means to extract the paint out from the can by spraying it into a glass bottle.

is airbrush same as those spray in cans? i mean the way u use it.

if yes, can those can spray paint be use on plastic? if can, than just buy those cans and masking tape lor.

vince123123
    Guests

Just checking, who is "peterpan"? And yes, I'll go for the brush +paint rather than marker actually. Paint markers are hard to get a nice finish; althoughI must add that I never used Gundam markers before, only regular paint markers from the hardware store.

vince123123
    Guests

Actually for beginners, my view is to get cheap kits first to practise the basics and spraying and the like. Only after mastering these then go to perfect grade; then its worth the money.

Quote Originally Posted by Royaux View Post
    where to find so much spare $$$.

Nice Kit you got there! I just got myself a set of Patlabor... haven fix yet... looking at get a set of Air brush with compressor from Art Friend tomorrow =)
    DSLR - Designing Sensational Life Realities

many thanks vince.

aaxiz, u also kana the $$$ hobby ah?

vince123123
    Guests

Spam/Ad reported.

Quote Originally Posted by ShoppingA1 View Post
    Hi, Guys how are you...
    what a interesting topic....
    carry on guys....
    best of luck.

Go buy some book about this. You will be surprised how the pro modeller think. Some of them will chop here and there such that it is easy to separate the parts, rather than follow the mini paper instruction. Although the book is in Japanese, looking at the photo you will get some idea.
    Of course if you use master grade and above normally you dont have to chop much as it is pretty separable.
    Before you construct you must think already how you want to paint it.
    I used to do gundam and zaku II is my fav. Why? cos you just assemble and spray everything green. LOL.
    Now no more time to iron my clothes let alone do spray paint.

Now I step aside and collect nendoroid (pinky:st slows down cos hey are not releasing that many new one anymore)

slowly saving up to buy justice infinite mg...

Using markers will have the uneven line marks.

Cheaper alternative is get bottled paints (recommend Mr Color lacquer paints) + leveling thinner to do hand brushing. The retardant in the leveling thinner will slow down drying but reduces brush marks.

Airbrushing is of cos still the best method.

Just a few pieces that I've done sometime back.
    http://s194.photobucket.com/albums/z.../Powered%20GM/
    http://s194.photobucket.com/albums/z...ny%20Unit%202/
    http://s194.photobucket.com/albums/z...20Mirage%20B4/
    http://s194.photobucket.com/albums/z...20in%20Kimono/
    http://s194.photobucket.com/albums/z...0Roll%20Asuka/
    Last edited by kel77; 26th May 2009 at 07:39 PM.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast