Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ultra Wide Lens.

Default Re: Ultra Wide Lens.

Quote Originally Posted by Snoweagle View Post
    ]
    I agree with calebk. Constant aperture throughout the whole zoom range has got nothing to do with better IQ. The main reason why constant aperture is that in both the wider and tele end, the exposure will not be affected when used in aperture priority mode especially.
    Correct. It is less of a hassle to use, more so than it is a factor in image quality.

Quote Originally Posted by calebk View Post
    Correct. It is less of a hassle to use, more so than it is a factor in image quality.
    which is why I got a 16-35L...don't flame me...

back to TS question. I think he's looking at the Tokina's f/2.8 is for the "better bokeh" that larger aperture lens offers...maybe TS wanted a UWA zoom lens that can take snapshots of people without walking way back to put the whole of them in the frame?

I personally does that at times, especially with my kids as they like to put their face right up infront of the lens...

Quote Originally Posted by muttons79 View Post
    which is why I got a 16-35L...don't flame me...

back to TS question. I think he's looking at the Tokina's f/2.8 is for the "better bokeh" that larger aperture lens offers...maybe TS wanted a UWA zoom lens that can take snapshots of people without walking way back to put the whole of them in the frame?

I personally does that at times, especially with my kids as they like to put their face right up infront of the lens...
    You are not going to see significant bokeh with this lens, unless you go really close. Even so, the DoF fall off is not so exaggerated that your background will turn creamy smooth, so this is where it does not make so much of a difference between a f/2.8 and f/3.5-4.5 lens.

In fact for wide angle lenses or UWAs, having a small aperture ain't necessary for bokehs.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

It's really tough to get bokeh from a UWA lens... And it's really tough to tell the difference between the bokeh at f/2.8 and f/3.5.

Halo to all,

Thanks for all the advice given so far and its good to know some things from another angle of view.

Quote Originally Posted by calebk View Post
    You are not going to see significant bokeh with this lens, unless you go really close. Even so, the DoF fall off is not so exaggerated that your background will turn creamy smooth, so this is where it does not make so much of a difference between a f/2.8 and f/3.5-4.5 lens.
    I agree with you on this. Here's a shot I took of my daughter a 16mm f/2.8

The convenience of a constant large aperture give you good shutter speed at lower ISO even when the lighting is not ideal.

Quote Originally Posted by muttons79 View Post
    The convenience of a constant large aperture give you good shutter speed at lower ISO even when the lighting is not ideal.
    That's what I mean. The constant f/2.8 throughout the range is more of a convenience factor.

My $$ in Tokina 11-16.
    Great lens with even greater IQ.
    I turned PRO in diaper chg!
    My Flickr|My Son

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12