Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Recommend lens for Kinabatangan wildlife (in Borneo)

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    opp. East Coast Park
    Posts
    1,124

    Default Recommend lens for Kinabatangan wildlife (in Borneo)

    I plan to do this river wildlife tour along the Kinabatangan river, somewhere in Borneo.
    I've never been there so do not know what to expect.
    Can anyone advise me on the type of lens I will need?
    I don't have any long lens and will be renting. Using Canon 400D.

    I also plan to go to Mulu National Park.
    Also, any advise on the lens, esp. to shoot the bats flying out of the cave at dawn.
    Thanks a lot.
    The best photographer is one who is inspired by the innate nature of his subjects.

  2. #2

    Default Re: Recommend lens for Kinabatangan wildlife (in Borneo)

    Quote Originally Posted by WuffRuff View Post
    I plan to do this river wildlife tour along the Kinabatangan river, somewhere in Borneo.
    I've never been there so do not know what to expect.
    Can anyone advise me on the type of lens I will need?
    I don't have any long lens and will be renting. Using Canon 400D.

    I also plan to go to Mulu National Park.
    Also, any advise on the lens, esp. to shoot the bats flying out of the cave at dawn.
    Thanks a lot.
    At least a 70-200.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Recommend lens for Kinabatangan wildlife (in Borneo)

    1) Your bod
    2) At least 3 spare batts if you're not able to recharge for a few days
    3) A wide angle zoom in the 15/16/17 - 35/40/50 region
    4) A compact telezoom like a 70-200 f4 better with IS. I know the 2.8 size and weight would be out for you.
    5) Flash
    6) At least 2-3 sets of spare batts for the flash, pref hi-cap ones like Imedions or Eneloops
    7) Depending on how long your trip is going to be and whether all the batts can cover the entire length of the trip - ALL batt chargers, cords, adapters (check country's plugs and voltages)
    8) Lots of spare cards as you would want to shoot in RAW a lot of times under difficult light conditions
    9) Basic cleaning kit
    10) Water-resisting or proofing system for ALL your equipment, including when you use the cam. Knowing your budgets, zip-loc bags would work well.

    Don't forget you have to pack for your own necessities and emergency survival kit (at least basic one). Also bear in mind security if you're not going to lug everything with you everywhere you go.

    You might have to make a few compromises in what you decide to finally bring. Be sure to rent from an agency that has insurance.

    I'm sure I missed out some stuff. Hopefully others can chime in.

    Perhaps ypu should have posted this in the new TRAVEL section.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    opp. East Coast Park
    Posts
    1,124

    Default Re: Recommend lens for Kinabatangan wildlife (in Borneo)

    Quote Originally Posted by Dream Merchant View Post
    1) Your bod
    2) At least 3 spare batts if you're not able to recharge for a few days
    3) A wide angle zoom in the 15/16/17 - 35/40/50 region
    4) A compact telezoom like a 70-200 f4 better with IS. I know the 2.8 size and weight would be out for you.
    5) Flash
    6) At least 2-3 sets of spare batts for the flash, pref hi-cap ones like Imedions or Eneloops
    7) Depending on how long your trip is going to be and whether all the batts can cover the entire length of the trip - ALL batt chargers, cords, adapters (check country's plugs and voltages)
    8) Lots of spare cards as you would want to shoot in RAW a lot of times under difficult light conditions
    9) Basic cleaning kit
    10) Water-resisting or proofing system for ALL your equipment, including when you use the cam. Knowing your budgets, zip-loc bags would work well.

    Don't forget you have to pack for your own necessities and emergency survival kit (at least basic one). Also bear in mind security if you're not going to lug everything with you everywhere you go.

    You might have to make a few compromises in what you decide to finally bring. Be sure to rent from an agency that has insurance.

    I'm sure I missed out some stuff. Hopefully others can chime in.

    Perhaps ypu should have posted this in the new TRAVEL section.
    Haha bro... thanks for your packing list.
    Actually just not sure which lens I should get. I'm not sure 70-200 is long enough as the wildlife is really far from the boat (the proboscis monkeys in the trees, etc). I'm also not sure f4 is enough as it could be dark in forest and need faster shutter to freeze their action.

    I would like to hear from those that have experience there, specifically.

    Oh, there's a new travel section? Cool! I didn't know about it. This thread is definitely more apt there. Mod, can you please help me move this thread there? Thanks a lot!
    The best photographer is one who is inspired by the innate nature of his subjects.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Recommend lens for Kinabatangan wildlife (in Borneo)

    Then it's simple - 70-200 2.8 IS with a 1.4 or 2x converter, unless you want to rent a 300 or 400 prime.

    Sure you can carry or not? Consider the safety and storage issues hor. Plus if unless you've done this many times before, I fear the weight might make your trip miserable instead.

  6. #6
    Senior Member egnaro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Boon Lay, Singapore
    Posts
    2,989

    Default Re: Recommend lens for Kinabatangan wildlife (in Borneo)

    ya to carry such heavy equipment, i suggest you get a assistant to carry your gear for you!
    Life is like Photography, to improve, you have to keep shooting!

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    opp. East Coast Park
    Posts
    1,124

    Default Re: Recommend lens for Kinabatangan wildlife (in Borneo)

    Quote Originally Posted by Dream Merchant View Post
    Then it's simple - 70-200 2.8 IS with a 1.4 or 2x converter, unless you want to rent a 300 or 400 prime.

    Sure you can carry or not? Consider the safety and storage issues hor. Plus if unless you've done this many times before, I fear the weight might make your trip miserable instead.
    For Kinabatangan, most of the time, the shooting is from boat, so it's ok as I will be sitting down and I can mount it on my tripod. Of course, have to carry it to transport around but that should be ok. I will maybe feel some shoulder ache but it will not break my back.

    I think 70-200 f2.8 (maybe not getting IS since I'm using tripod... cheaper... haha) with 1.4 TC is a good idea. I might go for this.

    But err... like to confirm, the TC can be used on this? If I didn't remember wrongly, someone once told me TC can only be used on primes.
    I've never used TC before so quite noob in this... please enlighten me.

    Quote Originally Posted by egnaro View Post
    ya to carry such heavy equipment, i suggest you get a assistant to carry your gear for you!
    Haha... last time when I went caving, the guide was kind enough to offer to help me carry my camera... but it wasn't because the equipment was heavy but rather, the terrain was rough/ slippery, etc.

    Well, I guess I can carry it myself... will try to get some weight reduction systems...
    The best photographer is one who is inspired by the innate nature of his subjects.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Recommend lens for Kinabatangan wildlife (in Borneo)

    Hi Wuffruff,

    My friend ever recommended me this place near Kinabatangan call "Uncle Tanís Wildlife Camp". Never been to this place myself (maybe one of this day) but friend of mine just love this place. She has been to this place couple of times by her own. Hope following website can gives you little ideas about Kinabatangan.

    http://www.uncletan.com

    Thanks!

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    opp. East Coast Park
    Posts
    1,124

    Default Re: Recommend lens for Kinabatangan wildlife (in Borneo)

    Quote Originally Posted by Unlisted View Post
    Hi Wuffruff,

    My friend ever recommended me this place near Kinabatangan call "Uncle Tanís Wildlife Camp". Never been to this place myself (maybe one of this day) but friend of mine just love this place. She has been to this place couple of times by her own. Hope following website can gives you little ideas about Kinabatangan.

    http://www.uncletan.com

    Thanks!
    Hey, thanks a lot for your recommendation. Someone had also recommended Uncle Tan's. And I've also heard about Uncle Jim... What's with these Uncles? Haha. I also have recommendations for individual guide. I'll look around before I decide. There's so many of them. But thanks for your input.
    The best photographer is one who is inspired by the innate nature of his subjects.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Recommend lens for Kinabatangan wildlife (in Borneo)

    Quote Originally Posted by WuffRuff View Post
    For Kinabatangan, most of the time, the shooting is from boat, so it's ok as I will be sitting down and I can mount it on my tripod. Of course, have to carry it to transport around but that should be ok. I will maybe feel some shoulder ache but it will not break my back.

    I think 70-200 f2.8 (maybe not getting IS since I'm using tripod... cheaper... haha) with 1.4 TC is a good idea. I might go for this.

    But err... like to confirm, the TC can be used on this? If I didn't remember wrongly, someone once told me TC can only be used on primes.
    I've never used TC before so quite noob in this... please enlighten me.



    Haha... last time when I went caving, the guide was kind enough to offer to help me carry my camera... but it wasn't because the equipment was heavy but rather, the terrain was rough/ slippery, etc.

    Well, I guess I can carry it myself... will try to get some weight reduction systems...

    Who told you that a 70-200 2.8 can't be used with an extender? In short, yes, you can use a TC with the 70-200 2.8. Check Canon's own literature. Be careful; there's an amazing load of rubbish floating around these days, usually from people who like to sound like 'experts'. We have one very famous one here in the CS on de Jedi side. You know right?


    Weight Reduction Systsm:



    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdK2y3lphmE
    Last edited by Dream Merchant; 29th May 2009 at 07:22 AM.

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    opp. East Coast Park
    Posts
    1,124

    Default Re: Recommend lens for Kinabatangan wildlife (in Borneo)

    Quote Originally Posted by Dream Merchant View Post
    Ha... cool!
    Must cost a bomb though! Hire porter is cheaper... haha.
    The best photographer is one who is inspired by the innate nature of his subjects.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •