Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Taiwan

Default Re: Taiwan

Quote Originally Posted by jtsky View Post
    You miss the clouds or you miss the chance .
    I miss the chance T_T when I went there no clouds...no sunrise also.

Quote Originally Posted by jtsky View Post
    You miss the clouds or you miss the chance .
    went there early the morning, cannot even see one little clouds floating below us. that was a sad impression for the moment then.

Quote Originally Posted by alexljy View Post
    I miss the chance T_T when I went there no clouds...no sunrise also.
    Quote Originally Posted by ggodetucsamoht View Post
    went there early the morning, cannot even see one little clouds floating below us. that was a sad impression for the moment then.
    I was very lucky. If I remember correctly, according to the local guide, sea of clouds was very rarely formed. It only happen abt 60 days in one year more often in Autumn.

Quote Originally Posted by alexljy View Post
    Anyone can recommend some place to visit for 2 days in Kaoshiung? I heard of some Mud Volcanos, not sure if it's worth going.
    if possible go down to kenting there more over there if you drive there a lot of mountain area in Heng chun too
    Canon 1D MK3,28-200 F3.5-5.6, 100 F2
    My Models

What's the best way to enjoy Taiwan (again)?

Tour? Free and easy?

Previously I went to Taipei, nothing much but eat, shop, eat, shop. Wanna go some scenic places...

Would appreciate some good advice and tips

Quote Originally Posted by andretan View Post

Tour? Free and easy?

Previously I went to Taipei, nothing much but eat, shop, eat, shop. Wanna go some scenic places...

free and easy is the best, go to their MRT stations grab a english map there a few place of interest in it. I f you cant understand their traditional chinese writing

teipei u need to go to the outskirt of it, next time when u there get a copy of Taipei Walker ( a Mag) it tell you some exciting places to go.

http://english.taipei.gov.tw/TCG/index.jsp

http://www.walkersnet.com.tw/tw_cover.asp?cid=205
    Canon 1D MK3,28-200 F3.5-5.6, 100 F2
    My Models

Recommended: Cingjing Farm in Nantou

Quote Originally Posted by andretan View Post

Tour? Free and easy?

Free and easy is easy in most part in Taiwan,
    I went to Taiwan twice, Taipei, Hualian (Torogo), first time. Taipei, Kaoshiong, Alishan, Sun Moon Lake, second trip. All free and easy.

This is my iternary during my previous trip:

Taipei-KaoShiong (Day1) --> KaoShiong (Day 2) --> Kaoshiong-JiaYi-Alishan (Day3) -->Alishan (Day 4) --> Alishan-TaiChung-Shuili-Sun Moon Lake (Day 5) --> Sun Moon Lake (Day 6) --> Sun Moon Lake-Taipei (Day 7) -->Taipei-Singapore (Day 8)

Day 1:
    Taipei to KaoShiong
    We reached Taipei, TaoYuan international airport abt 5pm. As we had already visited Taipei during the previous trip, we decided to travel to Kaoshiong on the same day. We travelled from the airport to Taipei Train station by Freego Bus services , NT$140 pp. From there, we took the high-speed rail to Kaoshiong , NT$1490 pp. We managed to check in to the hotel at abt 10pm that night. As we have only stay in KaoShiong for 1 day, we decided to book a hotel near the famous night market (Liu He night market)

Estimated time for travelling from Taipei to KaoShiong (ZhuoYing Station)

Day2
    KaoShiong

Only have 1 day for Kaoshiong, I decided to book a taxi for a whole day trip. After a few tries, I confirmed a deal a taxi driver at NT$2500 (S$125) for 10 hours unlimited tourist spot for 3 of us. We were lucky that the taxi driver was very friendly and he actually planned the itinerary for us. We visited Lotus pond(莲花池),Qi Jing Feng Zhe Cheng (风车城),TianHou Temple (天后宫),XiZhi Wan (西子湾),爱河,爱河之心. We started the trip at abt 10am and ended the trip at 10pm at Liu He Night market (六合夜市) near our hotel.

Day 3:
    KaoShiong-JiaYi-Alishan

We woke up early that day to rush for the 7am train to JiaYi that morning. If u are trabvelling to Alishan, u need take the Taiwan railway from KaoShiong railway station not the high-Speed rail.

There are a few mode of transport to get to Alishan from JiaYi Train station.

1.Alishan forest train (阿里山森林鐵路)

This is the best mode of transport, however the connection can be affected by typhoon. The railway track was under repair during my visit
    If it is available, you can try to take this famous Alishan Forest Railway from Chiayi station (the old one, not the new HSR station at Taibao). For one-way, the cost is NTD$400 and it took around 3.5 hours. Entry to Alishan costs NT$150 per person if arriving on public transport, NT$200 if arriving by car, charged on arrival.

2. JiaYi Country bus
    This is the cheapest transport mode. The bus station was located near JaiYi Train station. It cost only abt NT$204.

The bus fare table

3. 9-seater Minibus

As I was traveling with my kid, I chose this mode. It cost NT$400 pp ( kids below 6 yrs old free). The traveling time from JiaYi to FenQi Hu took 2hrs, the bus will stop for 1 hour for u to walk around the old town. We took the same minibus to Alishan, the remaining journey took another 1 hour and we were in Alishan.

Day 4:
    AliShan

There are a few good site for sunrise in Alishan, one of the site is ZhuShan sunrise. U can take the wooden forest train (NT$100pp) to ZhaoPing Train station (abt 5 to 10 mins journey).
    For YuShan sunrise, travelling by bus or mini bus is a must, u can booked the van when u reahed there (NT$300pp), travelling time is abt 3 hours. The trip include star viewing (astrology appreciation), sea of clouds if u are lucky, couple tree, the first light before sunrise , the Yu Shan sunrise. Depending on the sunrise time, u may have to wake up at 3am. If u stay only one night there, YuShan is my recommendation.

YuShan sunrise

Day 5:
    Alishan-TaiChung-Shuili水里-Sun Moon Lake

Travelling from AliShan to Sun Moon Lake, U can either take a bus from alishan to Jiayi. From Jiayi, u can travel by train to TaiChung and take a bus from TaiChung to Sun Moon Lake via Puli. The total travelling time for this self-connecting way will generally take more than 5 hrs for the whole journey.
    Or u can booked a personal transport for NT$3000 per MPV maximum 8 passeger (abt 2hrs) is a faster way to travel to Sun Moon Lake. This is what I chose. Along the way, the driver brought us to Shuili (visited vineyard, and farm).

Day 6:
    Sun Moon Lake

I was staying in shuieshe side, at Harbour resort hotel (日月潭碼頭休閒大飯店). The same row of hotels are facing the jetty and u will be able to see sunrise from the room balcony. U can take the ferry just in front the hotel for 1 hour tour around the lake, (NT$200)

Day 7:
    Sun Moon Lake-Taipei

We travelled by 国光客運to Taipei NT$460. The journey took us abt 4 hours.

Day 8:
    Taipei
    MRT is easy
    Last edited by jtsky; 24th May 2009 at 01:54 PM.

is nikon cheap in taiwan ?

Quote Originally Posted by johnn View Post
    is nikon cheap in taiwan ?
    You can bring this question to Nikon section. Let's focus on Travel Photography.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12