Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 25

Thread: Hong Kong!

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    West
    Posts
    3,136

    Red face Hong Kong!

    I know that place is pretty much a place for shopping and for our photographic obsession, but what about sights over there? What are the nice temples that we must visit other than Lantau Island? Anyone wants to share their insight?

  2. #2

    Default Re: Hong Kong!

    lautau island not too bad, can take the cable car for nice scenery..
    at the temple there, also not too bad, quite nice to shoot also.. but its touristy la if u dont mind..

    the other small islands are actually much more scenic, but nvr went there, so i dont know..

  3. #3
    Senior Member Lomographer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Paterson Road
    Posts
    2,047

    Default Re: Hong Kong!

    always stay at causeway bay next to time square

    it's a fave place of mine

    stanley market is a great place for night street
    Pentax K-x

  4. #4

    Default Re: Hong Kong!

    Quote Originally Posted by Vulpix0r View Post
    I know that place is pretty much a place for shopping and for our photographic obsession, but what about sights over there? What are the nice temples that we must visit other than Lantau Island? Anyone wants to share their insight?
    hong kong is a lot more than just shopping, it has beautiful seascapes

    chun lo

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    West
    Posts
    3,136

    Default Re: Hong Kong!

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    hong kong is a lot more than just shopping, it has beautiful seascapes

    chun lo
    How does one get there?

  6. #6

    Default Re: Hong Kong!

    Quote Originally Posted by Vulpix0r View Post
    How does one get there?
    for ma wan and tsingyi (or is it tsingma) bridges, you can take ferry from central pier, if you do a search for my last hong kong thread got some pictures from there, when i went gallivanting there myself.

    for some views of the tsingma bridge in chun lo's album hong kong sometimes, the ones where he is underneath it, you need car for sure. i tried going by foot, you need to walk on highway... if you daring enough also no use, the traffic police in the area have a hq there, they see sure turn you back...

    as for the various beaches, i do not know, but based on my readings there are buses (infrequent)...

    so best if you can get a driver... maybe go with a few other photographer friends. it is not impossible to try to tie up with chun lo, i had pmed him on pbase and he is a very friendly, helpful person.. he even gave me a lot of info on ma wan with google map print screens detailing where exactly his location was.. but i gabra when i was there, so couldn't find it.

    anyways, he has all the areas detailed out as the picture file name, so you can try to wikipedia your way to a better tomorrow. but please, pack sandwiches or food or all that, those places not like central hong kong... most of the time i was there i eat in morning and night only.
    Last edited by night86mare; 20th May 2009 at 12:14 AM.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Astin Studio
    Posts
    4,736

    Default Re: Hong Kong!

    If u are interested in old Hong Kong photos, there is a guy on flicker who collected many old Hong Kong photos and then repeated the same shot in modern days, and compared them side by side.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/old-hk

  8. #8

    Default Re: Hong Kong!

    Check out Tai O.

    http://www.roving-light.com/gallery/...taio/index.htm

    Quote Originally Posted by Vulpix0r View Post
    I know that place is pretty much a place for shopping and for our photographic obsession, but what about sights over there? What are the nice temples that we must visit other than Lantau Island? Anyone wants to share their insight?

  9. #9

    Default Re: Hong Kong!

    Wow, good info
    The Buddha in Lan Tau island in my top of list, follow by the Victoria habour, and the night scene of HK for the hill top. But I'm not yet done any research, just some thought in my mind.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Hong Kong!

    perhaps this will help... i will be going there for a photography cum holiday trip too!
    http://www.hong-kong-travel.org/

  11. #11
    Member tc-95's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    14

    Default Re: Hong Kong!

    Make sure and go to the Peak...overlooking Hong Kong...get there about 2 hours before sunset...eat at one of the restaurants and then watch the light show from there....very nice place great shots from there...

    Have fun...all around a great place to take pictures....

    Tony C.

  12. #12

    Default Re: Hong Kong!

    Another alternative way of getting to Tsing Ma bridge is to take the MTR train on the Tung Chung line to Tsing Yi station.
    Look for Exit A1 when your reach Tsing Yi station.
    At the bus station, board green MiniBus No. 308M.
    Tell the uncle that you want to alight at "Tsing Ma Tai Kui" and
    you are on the way.

    Do note that the operating time for service 308M is
    the last bus leave the visitor centre at 1630hrs from Mon - Fri
    and on weekends...
    0930hrs to 1830hrs with last bus leaving the Centre at 1900hrs.

    Alighting and boarding service 308M is beside the highway....so do be careful of traffic.
    And if you miss the last bus, fret not.....there are always the taxis.



  13. #13

    Default Re: Hong Kong!

    Quote Originally Posted by Bcool View Post
    Another alternative way of getting to Tsing Ma bridge is to take the MTR train on the Tung Chung line to Tsing Yi station.
    Look for Exit A1 when your reach Tsing Yi station.
    At the bus station, board green MiniBus No. 308M.
    Tell the uncle that you want to alight at "Tsing Ma Tai Kui" and
    you are on the way.

    Do note that the operating time for service 308M is
    the last bus leave the visitor centre at 1630hrs from Mon - Fri
    and on weekends...
    0930hrs to 1830hrs with last bus leaving the Centre at 1900hrs.

    Alighting and boarding service 308M is beside the highway....so do be careful of traffic.
    And if you miss the last bus, fret not.....there are always the taxis.


    Wow this is a good shot! You take this photo from the visitor center?

  14. #14

    Default Re: Hong Kong!

    Quote Originally Posted by Shen siung View Post
    Wow this is a good shot! You take this photo from the visitor center?
    to be honest, there are much better views of the bridge than from the visitor centre

    the trees there are so irritating

  15. #15

    Default Re: Hong Kong!

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    to be honest, there are much better views of the bridge than from the visitor centre

    the trees there are so irritating
    ha ha, it has already up to my noob standards. anyway, so is this taken from the visitor center?
    Last edited by Shen siung; 31st May 2009 at 11:09 AM.

  16. #16

    Default Re: Hong Kong!

    Quote Originally Posted by Shen siung View Post
    ha ha, it has already up to my noob standards. anyway, so is this taken from the visitor center?
    yes, this was taken from the visitor center and like what nightmare had mentioned....there are many places that do offer better shooting opportunities.....like up the hill behind the center and down below the shoreline.
    But getting to these places are rather dangerous.

    and yes...those trees and branches are PIAs. I was told they trimmed them every so often.....but I guess those trees and branches grow super fast.

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    3,717

    Default Re: Hong Kong!

    Quote Originally Posted by Bcool View Post
    Another alternative way of getting to Tsing Ma bridge is to take the MTR train on the Tung Chung line to Tsing Yi station.
    Look for Exit A1 when your reach Tsing Yi station.
    At the bus station, board green MiniBus No. 308M.
    Tell the uncle that you want to alight at "Tsing Ma Tai Kui" and
    you are on the way.

    Do note that the operating time for service 308M is
    the last bus leave the visitor centre at 1630hrs from Mon - Fri
    and on weekends...
    0930hrs to 1830hrs with last bus leaving the Centre at 1900hrs.

    Alighting and boarding service 308M is beside the highway....so do be careful of traffic.
    And if you miss the last bus, fret not.....there are always the taxis.


    nice shot of the bridge but seems like high ISO?

  18. #18

    Default Re: Hong Kong!

    Quote Originally Posted by Bcool View Post
    yes, this was taken from the visitor center and like what nightmare had mentioned....there are many places that do offer better shooting opportunities.....like up the hill behind the center and down below the shoreline.
    But getting to these places are rather dangerous.
    well, i cannot remember which bridges, but ma wan is very safe to shoot, so long as you don't go scampering up and down the rocks on the north? side of the island (i can't remember which direction actually), they were really quite bad and i nearly killed myself (climbing with equipment, etc) when i tried to get to the wrong place.

    later on back at the hotel i checked the email chun lo had sent me and i was headed the wrong way. apparently the part where he shot his shot from in ma wan was to the left of the jetty in the pictures i will post up, not the right.

    here is one relatively easy location, very near the ferry terminal on ma wan, but you will get wet, this was waist deep or higher in water.



    these are the rocks i speak of, i really salute the fishermen there, they can go up and down like mountain goats. quite friendly, even though they couldn't speak mandarin and i couldn't speak canto, they tried to speak in mandarin though.



    and the jetty, there is a dolphin metal sculpture there.



    there are no signs posted up, so bring a map, or try to digest the rough layout of the place before you go, it is easy to get lost.

  19. #19

    Default Re: Hong Kong!

    Quote Originally Posted by nemesis32 View Post
    nice shot of the bridge but seems like high ISO?
    Thanks....I guess it's more likely a case of cropping and jpeg compression.
    exif is here.....
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/bengchy...57612049950543

  20. #20

    Default Re: Hong Kong!

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    well, i cannot remember which bridges, but ma wan is very safe to shoot, so long as you don't go scampering up and down the rocks on the north? side of the island (i can't remember which direction actually), they were really quite bad and i nearly killed myself (climbing with equipment, etc) when i tried to get to the wrong place.

    later on back at the hotel i checked the email chun lo had sent me and i was headed the wrong way. apparently the part where he shot his shot from in ma wan was to the left of the jetty in the pictures i will post up, not the right.

    here is one relatively easy location, very near the ferry terminal on ma wan, but you will get wet, this was waist deep or higher in water.



    these are the rocks i speak of, i really salute the fishermen there, they can go up and down like mountain goats. quite friendly, even though they couldn't speak mandarin and i couldn't speak canto, they tried to speak in mandarin though.



    and the jetty, there is a dolphin metal sculpture there.



    there are no signs posted up, so bring a map, or try to digest the rough layout of the place before you go, it is easy to get lost.
    Definitely good info for those who want to shoot here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •