Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Japan

Default Re: Japan

Quote Originally Posted by Pinoy View Post
    Guys, am thinking of taking my wife and daughter (11 years old) to Japan in mid-December. Hope to cover Osaka, Tokyo, and nearby places like Nara and Kyoto (at least). Questions I have in mind are:

- Duration: Will 10 Days 9 Nights be enough? That appears to be the most I can squeeze out of our leaves (Currently what I have in mind is 6N in Tokyo and 4N in Osaka)
    - Accomodation: Possible to get a sub-S$100 room for the 3 of us (2A1C)? 3 stars and the likes are fine with us, since we'll be outside most of the time anyway.
    - Weather: How's the weather like? I suppose it's winter by that time... which means we need to get ourselves winter wear?
    - Meals: Roughly how much should we expect to spend per meal?

Visiting Osaka Aquarium, Universal Studios, and the 2 Disney Parks are what I'd consider must-do.

Thanks in advance for any input given.

:Later,

I went to Japan during spring this year... Stayed in Japan for about 3 weeks...Went to all the places that you want to go..I find that staying in Kyoto is cheaper than staying in Osaka. I stayed in Kyoto Budget Inn in Kyoto. It is about $50 SGD per person per night...
    Osaka is about 30-45 min away from Kyoto. In Osaka and kyoto, I find that the train pass ain't that useful..Plan well just buy the JR west pass for the day you are traveling out from Osaka to kyoto and nara.. Because JR west pass can't use in kyoto...

In dec be prepared to spend time queuing in Universal studios and the 2 Disney parks. I spend most of my time in universal studio queuing...worst is 3 hours for one ride. You need to spend 1 day for each parks so meaning you only have 2 1/2 days for shopping in Tokyo.. Will your wife mind?? and the train ride from Kyoto to Tokyo is about 3 hours..So leave early to maximize your time...

Weather will be cold!! Be prepared to wear more in Osaka because winds are stronger there.

Per meal will be about 400-700 yen cheapest..(that's what i got luh)

Plan well ya because transport is quite costly... and Have fun!!
    PS: take note of Mt. fuji when sitting the train from kyoto-tokyo!! If you are lucky you might get to see the whole mountain ^^

Guys, am thinking of taking my wife and daughter (11 years old) to Japan in mid-December. Hope to cover Osaka, Tokyo, and nearby places like Nara and Kyoto (at least). Questions I have in mind are:

- Duration: Will 10 Days 9 Nights be enough? That appears to be the most I can squeeze out of our leaves (Currently what I have in mind is 6N in Tokyo and 4N in Osaka)
    - Accomodation: Possible to get a sub-S$100 room for the 3 of us (2A1C)? 3 stars and the likes are fine with us, since we'll be outside most of the time anyway.
    - Weather: How's the weather like? I suppose it's winter by that time... which means we need to get ourselves winter wear?

Visiting Osaka Aquarium, Universal Studios, and the 2 Disney Parks are what I'd consider must-do.

Hey,

Duration - Japan is huge so plan your itinery wisely like your main purpose for coming here. Shopping, winter sports, onsens, scenery, etc. becuase you will be really worn out rushing from cities to cities.

Tokyo is like Osaka, another big city good for shopping but the little pockets of castles and shrines might be interesting.

Kyoto and Nara are like an hour odd apart (Osaka too) and are pretty good for historical buildings and relics. Not too much shopping though and night life though so you might want to travel to Osaka.

Osaka, Kyoto, Nara, Nagoya are in the Kansai region and are about 3 hours apart from Tokyo by the Shinkansen (Bullet Train). Make sure you get the JR rail pass in SG before you depart to get unlimited rides on JR specific Shinkansen(s) and local trains.

For winter, Kyoto might provide a rather beautiful photographic journey that is, IF it actually snows.

It rarely snows in Tokyo and Osaka but even if it does, the snow just melts away. If you are feeling adventurous, take the Asama Shinkansen from Tokyo station to Karuizawa in Nagano prefecture to experience some decent factory outlet shopping, winter sports and outback experience.

Accomodation - Toyoko Inns are located throughout Japan and they are quite affordable I think. In Kyoto, Utano Youth Hostel (Google it) is really good in terms of cleaniness and price.

Weather - Other than the big cities (like Osaka and Tokyo), Kyoto and Nara will be really cold. Layer your winter gear and not one huge fleeced jacket. Gloves, moisturizers lip balms, etc. When it snows, it is not really cold. After it snows, the next day when you can see the clear blue sky, it will be freezing cold. When it rains, it sucks because ice will form and everyone will be falling all over the places.

Meals - Average meals per person can be anything from 300 yen for a decent bowl of hot ramen to 1500 for a set meal. In big cities, there are foreigner friendly stores that display replicas of the food outside their stores. Be prepare to slot your money into a vending machine and present the ticket you get at the counter. It helps if you can find out more before coming to Japan. An assortment of those "fast food" chains sell decent food at affordable prices.

P.S. Wiki and Google are you friend so plan in advance to avoid an unpleasant trip.

Cheers...

Duration depend what you like to see and spend more time at which place of interest also

Accomodation sub$100 can get but u will have to sleep on the floor while your wife and daughter sleep on the bed or all 3 squeeze in the small bed. I experience that before.but of course unless there's other choices am not aware of maybe

weather mid december is 1-9degrees... may snow in osaka , kyoto..yokohama sometimes too...

meals between S$12-30 per meal per person...roughly..very roughly

Kaiyukan - about half day needed... last december i brought my daughter there it snowed when we came out...she had fun playing in the snow

USJ - at least 1 day needed... go early early...as in start as early as u can

Disneyland - DisneySea - 1 day each if you can afford the time.. also start early and get as many fast pass as you can...if wanna enjoy the rides..

go japan every year during december or january and last december was the only time i was very blessed with nice contrasty light!..

Quote Originally Posted by KissDigitalX View Post
    Hey,

Duration - Japan is huge so plan your itinery wisely like your main purpose for coming here. Shopping, winter sports, onsens, scenery, etc. becuase you will be really worn out rushing from cities to cities.

Tokyo is like Osaka, another big city good for shopping but the little pockets of castles and shrines might be interesting.

Kyoto and Nara are like an hour odd apart (Osaka too) and are pretty good for historical buildings and relics. Not too much shopping though and night life though so you might want to travel to Osaka.

Osaka, Kyoto, Nara, Nagoya are in the Kansai region and are about 3 hours apart from Tokyo by the Shinkansen (Bullet Train). Make sure you get the JR rail pass in SG before you depart to get unlimited rides on JR specific Shinkansen(s) and local trains.

For winter, Kyoto might provide a rather beautiful photographic journey that is, IF it actually snows.

It rarely snows in Tokyo and Osaka but even if it does, the snow just melts away. If you are feeling adventurous, take the Asama Shinkansen from Tokyo station to Karuizawa in Nagano prefecture to experience some decent factory outlet shopping, winter sports and outback experience.

Accomodation - Toyoko Inns are located throughout Japan and they are quite affordable I think. In Kyoto, Utano Youth Hostel (Google it) is really good in terms of cleaniness and price.

Weather - Other than the big cities (like Osaka and Tokyo), Kyoto and Nara will be really cold. Layer your winter gear and not one huge fleeced jacket. Gloves, moisturizers lip balms, etc. When it snows, it is not really cold. After it snows, the next day when you can see the clear blue sky, it will be freezing cold. When it rains, it sucks because ice will form and everyone will be falling all over the places.

Meals - Average meals per person can be anything from 300 yen for a decent bowl of hot ramen to 1500 for a set meal. In big cities, there are foreigner friendly stores that display replicas of the food outside their stores. Be prepare to slot your money into a vending machine and present the ticket you get at the counter. It helps if you can find out more before coming to Japan. An assortment of those "fast food" chains sell decent food at affordable prices.

P.S. Wiki and Google are you friend so plan in advance to avoid an unpleasant trip.

Cheers...
    Brother since you have cover everything already.
    But Just want to add some more points.

In the CITY Hotel rate will be quite Ex compare to outside tokyo.
    As for the Hotel they count by per Head not by per room charges.

As what they had mentioned.
    Tokyo and Osaka is more on city life. But is also very interesting place to visit.
    and may be in Dec you can see colored autumn leaves in Tokyo.

But if you like nature or landscape. go to northern part of japan is very nice during winter time especially snow.

This year there isn't much or no snow in Tokyo. But last year there is.

For Foods wise.
    KissDigitalX had mentioned.

Don't forget to dring a Body moisturizers creams.

Is you planing to go to Disney. remember to wear abit more
    cos Disney is near to the seaside and the winds is very cold & strong.
    As in City places, Just wear enough for yourself. cos if you are too cold anytime can you go into the malls to warm up a while at the sametime do some shopping too..
    I did that mostly everytime....hee hee...

Here is a link
    http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2273.html

Brother... Now I saw you have update your singature liao....
    Having fun with your new toys?
    Last edited by Rubber_Duck; 10th July 2009 at 12:11 PM.

anyone going in 1st wk of nov this year?
    can go to the tokyo motorshow too

Thanks guys. I haven't really done much reading. The plan to take them to Japan was an impulse decision, driven by Malaysia Airline's current promotion. So yeah, I don't have much info yet and so i thought I should get a feel of things -- of what to expect -- should I decide to purchase the tickets. Actually, I'm kind of torn whether I should just break it up.. go Tokyo first.. then next year, Osaka perhaps... but that's gonna be costlier than if I do a combo trip. Haiz.

Will go through each of your replies a bit later. Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Any additional inputs will be appreciated.

Last edited by Pinoy; 10th July 2009 at 11:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsun View Post
    anyone going in 1st wk of nov this year?
    can go to the tokyo motorshow too
    Oh is it...!!!
    The motor show is be held in Nov-2009.
    In this case I'll go..!!!!

Thanks guys. I haven't really done much reading. The plan to take them to Japan was an impulse decision, driven by Malaysia Airline's current promotion. So yeah, I don't have much info yet and so i thought I should get a feel of things -- of what to expect -- should I decide to purchase the tickets. Actually, I'm kind of torn whether I should just break it up.. go Tokyo first.. then next year, Osaka perhaps... but that's gonna be costlier than if I do a combo trip. Haiz.

Will go through each of your replies a bit later. Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Any additional inputs will be appreciated.

Is all depending how you look at it.
    Some ppl just want to visit the place once and hope to cover as much as possible.
    after that move on the other country. At least they can tell other ppl that they had been to Japan. (End of story.) But I dont think that will be possible.

Japan is so big and there are so many places yet to be explore.
    and every season is different.

You are right now most of the airline is having promotion.
    Like JAL having Zero Fuel Surcharge and etc.... (I'm not promoting for them)

Everyone needed a break for themselves.
    just go life is short.

Quote Originally Posted by Rubber_Duck View Post
    Brother since you have cover everything already.
    But Just want to add some more points.

In the CITY Hotel rate will be quite Ex compare to outside tokyo.
    As for the Hotel they count by per Head not by per room charges.

As what they had mentioned.
    Tokyo and Osaka is more on city life. But is also very interesting place to visit.
    and may be in Dec you can see colored autumn leaves in Tokyo.

But if you like nature or landscape. go to northern part of japan is very nice during winter time especially snow.

This year there isn't much or no snow in Tokyo. But last year there is.

For Foods wise.
    KissDigitalX had mentioned.

Don't forget to dring a Body moisturizers creams.

Is you planing to go to Disney. remember to wear abit more
    cos Disney is near to the seaside and the winds is very cold & strong.
    As in City places, Just wear enough for yourself. cos if you are too cold anytime can you go into the malls to warm up a while at the sametime do some shopping too..
    I did that mostly everytime....hee hee...

Here is a link
    http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2273.html

Brother... Now I saw you have update your singature liao....
    Having fun with your new toys?
    Haha...yeah it's AMAZING but I can't run FCP on my Santa Rosa Mac so can't edit the vids. Anyway will post more when I get the time. So your Canon is taking a summer break for film?

Oh is it...!!!
    The motor show is be held in Nov-2009.
    In this case I'll go..!!!!
    yup
    iirc its Oct 23rd to Nov 8

Quote Originally Posted by KissDigitalX View Post
    Haha...yeah it's AMAZING but I can't run FCP on my Santa Rosa Mac so can't edit the vids. Anyway will post more when I get the time. So your Canon is taking a summer break for film?
    Oh too bad.....
    Like that I have to wait a little longer lor...

No lah......Can't wait got out and shot more....

Quote Originally Posted by Redsun View Post
    yup
    iirc its Oct 23rd to Nov 8
    Checked the website...
    I booked my calendar...
    cant wait for it to come.....

eat cheap in japan -> bring instant noodle from singapore

Quote Originally Posted by iMac08 View Post
    hot ok..rain not ok..my trip in may was ruin by 3-4days of rain...sickening..
    haha ... just came back ... it was also raining for the last 2 days for me ... outdoor photography-wise, totally not productive

Hotel rooms are not cheap because the room is way tooooo small for 3 adults. "Cheap" hotel room is like Yen 6500 ($100) but expect to pay Yen 8500 in Tokyo city.
    Simple meal (like Ramen) Yen 800 ($12) and Sushi Yen 1200 ($18)
    Frankly, Japan is really way too expensive for budget holiday.
    For those amount, you will enjoy like a king in other Asean countries.
    Be careful with the transport ... it is NOT cheap, esp the long distance train rides.

Give you some idea on the food:

Last edited by Canonised; 11th July 2009 at 01:24 PM.
    always the Light, .... always.

Everyone needed a break for themselves.
    just go life is short.
    Couldn't agree more.

After much thought, we're heavily leaning towards going Tokyo this December. And hopefully, Kansai (Osaka, Kyoto, Nara etc) in spring some other time (Time and money permitting)

Considering that the 2 disney parks will already take up 2 days, I hope that allotting 5 days for the other surrounding places is enough. Timelines roughly are, leave friday evening, arrive in Tokyo Saturday morning. Return to SG the following Sat (with the whole Sat on flight).

Quote Originally Posted by Canonised View Post
    haha ... just came back ... it was also raining for the last 2 days for me ... outdoor photography-wise, totally not productive

Hotel rooms are not cheap because the room is way tooooo small for 3 adults. "Cheap" hotel room is like Yen 6500 ($100) but expect to pay Yen 8500 in Tokyo city.
    Simple meal (like Ramen) Yen 800 ($12) and Sushi Yen 1200 ($18)
    Frankly, Japan is really way too expensive for budget holiday.
    For those amount, you will enjoy like a king in other Asean countries.
    Be careful with the transport ... it is NOT cheap, esp the long distance train rides.

Give you some idea on the food:

The raining just ended.... Now the hot weather starting.!!!!
    Yes, I totally understand.... raining is so sian....

Bro if you compare like that.. you cant go anywhere liao.
    every places is different. going to holiday is not enjoy and thinking of how much you had spend. like that you are not enjoying at all...
    If you go to Europe counties will be more ex..
    going for holiday is to have fun and see the world outside.

BTW your simple meals is not that simple leh...
    for a simple ramen you can find abt JPY500 and you can add more noodle FOC and you can have a bowl of white rice FOC too.

Your sushi is too ex...!!! normally eat at those conveyor sushi 1 plate cost JPY100.
    you just need to walk more and search more.

For my lunch meals will be around JPY400 to JPY600.
    just need to do some walking and compare.

For train and transport in japan is quite ex... I totally agree with you.

Actually, the yoshinoya there is pretty cheap... I got my beef rice bowl for 430 yen..usually in japan they give free green tea =D

Quote Originally Posted by enchantedream View Post
    Actually, the yoshinoya there is pretty cheap... I got my beef rice bowl for 430 yen..usually in japan they give free green tea =D
    Matsuya beef rice bowl is JPY360 and free miso soup.

Any advise for summer trip? bring umbrella? How is summer weather compared to singapore?

Also seems like tokyo dont have any daylight savings...
    sunrise at around 4:40 am and sunset at 7 pm nowadays
    http://www.timeanddate.com/worldcloc...omy.html?n=248
    Last edited by aryanto; 11th July 2009 at 08:39 PM.

Hi guys, anyone have any advice on staying overnight @ mt fuji area, from travel viator a 2day 1 night stay seems really expensive, even the day tour from tokyo is about US150-200

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast