Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Self Drive in NZ

Default Re: Self Drive in NZ

Quote Originally Posted by nemesis32 View Post
    will end sept till early Nov be good? I understand is Spring and I wanted to visit South Island with my wife but she's not a photographer so just self drive photography tour. Likely won't take the Milford trek as it sounds daunting! LOL
    Actually I think end sept will be better. There will probably be no snow at ground level but most of the mountains should still be snow capped and very beautiful.

note that some of the mountain ranges are not very tall like the remarkables so once the snow melt finish, they look REALLY ugly. I have been to queenstown in summer and winter and winter by FAR is the better looking one.

2 Singaporeans die in New Zealand road accident - Channel NewsAsia
    Another sad fatality...
    We are not used to driving long distances, handling campervans, so take regular breaks, drive at a pace you are truly comfortable with and rest more. Many get off the 13 hour flight and go straight to their cars / vans. Take care, life is precious.
    Nikon D750; FM2; FG; 55mm Micro Nikkor; 28-300 VR; 70-200 VR; Nikon V1 + 10-30mm

Hi bros

I am headed to the North Island in Feb 2016.

Will have two days in Auckland, then 5-6 days to drive around the Island. Will appreciate some tips or suggestions on where to go. I prefer scenery, chilling and new experiences as I went once before during my school days.

Thanks!
    Nikon D750; FM2; FG; 55mm Micro Nikkor; 28-300 VR; 70-200 VR; Nikon V1 + 10-30mm

You should try astrophotography when you are there. NZ is probably the best place for it.

http://theartofnight.com/

I have only been to South Island back in 2004. How about this for North Island?

http://www.new-zealand-travel-showca...h.html#gallery[pageGallery]/5/
    Last edited by Madmax; 31st July 2015 at 08:51 AM.

May I suggest taking a trip to White Island?

http://www.whiteisland.co.nz/

It is a guided tour where you get to visit an actual marine volcanic island off the coast of Whakatane (about 5 hours drive from Auckland). However the boat trip from Whakatane to the island itself is about 4 hours, and the sea can get very rough. However I would say the scenery on the island itself was fantastic (especially so if volcanoes, fumaroles etc are your thing).

Another fantastic place is Waiotapu at Rotorua.

http://www.waiotapu.co.nz/

This place is filled with hot springs of different colours. Fantastic sight seeing spot.

Quote Originally Posted by petetherock View Post
    Hi bros

I am headed to the North Island in Feb 2016.

Will have two days in Auckland, then 5-6 days to drive around the Island. Will appreciate some tips or suggestions on where to go. I prefer scenery, chilling and new experiences as I went once before during my school days.

Thanks!
    Take a drive towards Rotorua.
    Use the maps and pick a variety of towns to pass through. Inland and coastal
    Stayed there 2 years and the drive towards rotorua is nice...
    Be sure to get a car with bright head lights as night is dark on some roads with no street lamps especially in the wilds

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

Alternatively if you are into fishing. Head upwards to Milford Sound Bay and the beach there and activities are great.

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

Thanks bro, yes, will go through Rotorua, doing my planning now and head for Wellington

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234