Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Self Drive in NZ

Wink North Island Travel

Currently, I'm summing up some travels around Auckland on my blog. I have been in New Zealand for more than 5 years now. Eventually, my blog will contain all the description and history of all the known and unknown areas of New Zealand. Check it out and follow me on my trip on my blog. Hope you guys like it.
    Support my blog on PhotoTale - http://kiatang.blogspot.com

Default Re: North Island Travel

Quote Originally Posted by kiazhi View Post
    Currently, I'm summing up some travels around Auckland on my blog. I have been in New Zealand for more than 5 years now. Eventually, my blog will contain all the description and history of all the known and unknown areas of New Zealand. Check it out and follow me on my trip on my blog. Hope you guys like it.
    Great idea. I transited by Auckland for a short while and only visited the Sky Tower. But i am sure there is so much more Auckland and North Island will offer for the traveller.

ryan

Default Re: Self Drive in NZ

How's the scenery during different seasons? How is it during the summer months?

Default Re: North Island Travel

Quote Originally Posted by giantcanopy View Post
    Great idea. I transited by Auckland for a short while and only visited the Sky Tower. But i am sure there is so much more Auckland and North Island will offer for the traveller.

ryan
    If you happen to be in Auckland, I don't mind showing you around...

Quote Originally Posted by ArcticFox View Post
    Scenery of different seasons can be very surprising. Summer, greenery can be abit yellowish due to dry season. Autumn, quite alot of trees turn red or yellow except those pines tree forestry. Spring, is the best. Lots of flowers every where and can make your photography very colourful. Winter, can be mostly white depends on where you are going. Mostly, southern part of south island are all white. Middle part of the north island where the mountains are located are white and the rest remains the same.

Check this out. (http://kiatang.blogspot.com/p/big-footprints.html)These are some of my collections on the map and I am still archiving some history background of each location on my blog post slowly. It is not just the tourist attraction but also including some hidden gems of New Zealand that is untouched by tourists except the locals.

Quote Originally Posted by ArcticFox View Post
    Each season is different and beautiful, you will like all of them, cheers.
    Nikon D750; FM2; FG; 55mm Micro Nikkor; 28-300 VR; 70-200 VR; Nikon V1 + 10-30mm

winter might be tough to drive. i am looking forward to autumn next time if i revisit.

ryan

Thanks for the head-up.

We (my family) would be visiting NZ during the spring, which is around November I suppose since it is on the other side of the world.

I have just return from a 10 days self-drive trip from South Island.
    Met the worst weather in NZ since 1990, Queenstown was almost flooded, Fox Glacier was forced to shut down, and its raining most of the time.

Luckily, I still got some bule sky in Wanaka and Mt Cook area. Overall, very enjoyable.
    5DII, 17-35 F2.8L, 24-105 F4L IS, 70-200 F2.8L, 90 F2.8

Ok, someone got it worse than me... I only had rain for my day at the glacier... I think me feel better... Sorry...

Quote Originally Posted by Mars View Post
    Met the worst weather in NZ since 1990, Queenstown was almost flooded, Fox Glacier was forced to shut down, and its raining most of the time.

Luckily, I still got some bule sky in Wanaka and Mt Cook area. Overall, very enjoyable.
    Cause you went on the wrong season. It's going to be winter soon, so it's raining most of the time now. You are lucky that you didn't got hail. You get snow on both the North & South island soon enough too. Can't wait to go skiing soon. Yahooo...

and we experienced the coldest nz summer earlier this yr. but seems u got the bitter end of the weather, really bad climate changes. nevertheless great that u enjoyed the trip. it is a lovely place that warrants a second visit.

ryan

Quote Originally Posted by giantcanopy View Post
    and we experienced the coldest nz summer earlier this yr. but seems u got the bitter end of the weather, really bad climate changes. nevertheless great that u enjoyed the trip. it is a lovely place that warrants a second visit.

ryan
    More than twice!
    I have been there thrice and I still wish to go, the scenery is out of this world....
    Nikon D750; FM2; FG; 55mm Micro Nikkor; 28-300 VR; 70-200 VR; Nikon V1 + 10-30mm

So sori to read abt the untimely weather. I think the best time to visit Queenstown is around end Aug/early Sept where I did on my last trip there. I was lucky to get mostly clear blue sky and the best part it snowed when I was there so it was like heaven

Quote Originally Posted by petetherock View Post
    More than twice!
    I have been there thrice and I still wish to go, the scenery is out of this world....
    Yeah, been there thrice as well from the very top tip of Nth Island to the very bottom of Sth Island and stil thinking of going back again to Middle Earth
    Photography? It's all in your mind...

Winter driving conditions are alright if you don't encounter snow, plan ahead if you need snow chains, or anti-freeze, and understand that the day is shorter.
    If you are not used to driving long distances, it is best to have a co-driver.

Winter is usualy less crowded, but you can see the earlier post I made on an agent who can help you plan hotels along the way.

For anyone planning a trip to the South Islands these couple of weeks, do take note of the current earthquake and after shock issues.

Transport and traffic might be affected.

Quote Originally Posted by petetherock View Post
    For anyone planning a trip to the South Islands these couple of weeks, do take note of the current earthquake and after shock issues.

Transport and traffic might be affected.
    For those who are planning too travel, please check this below
    http://maps.google.co.nz/maps/ms?ie=...6&source=embed

OR

http://s1.demos.eaglegis.co.nz/Flex/...-christchurch/

For those that are strangled there, you can seek help from the following website below
    http://www.canterburyearthquake.govt.nz/

AND News Update on below
    http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=10672104

REMEMBER to boils water before drinking from any taps in Christchurch.

Anyone headed to NZ now, should note that it's winter soon.
    But it offers a different look and it is very beautiful.

will end sept till early Nov be good? I understand is Spring and I wanted to visit South Island with my wife but she's not a photographer so just self drive photography tour. Likely won't take the Milford trek as it sounds daunting! LOL

That's a good time.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast